Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Cowan
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

A situation came up last night while playing a game. I was in the 3rd round of actions and I didn't want to do anything. I had no goods cubes that I could deliver, and I didn't want to lay any track because I had no cash available and didn't want to take any additional bonds.

As it was the last round of actions before being paid I just wanted to wait as I would get $15k during that phase and then would be able to build the following turn.

So basically, I just wanted to pass for my 3rd action. It doesn't say in the rules that passing is an option, but it also doesn't explicitly state that you have to take an action for each action round.

I don't know if there is a formal ruling for this? If not, how do other players deal with this?

Thanks,

Hugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else may provide a more authoritative answer, but I believe the answer is no, you may not pass.

Sometimes you can get the effect of a pass by taking a Railroad Operations card that you don't need.

We have always played the game this way, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who allowed passing. (This does not make us correct, of course, but you did ask what other players do.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play you can pass in this situation, but it usually is quite rare that you find yourself not wanting to do something. If you were playing with no operation cards, then I could see it happening a bit more. I usually upgrade my train and take the loan hit when faced with this dilemma unless there is a card available that fits with my plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cparrott wrote:
We play you can pass in this situation, but it usually is quite rare that you find yourself not wanting to do something. If you were playing with no operation cards, then I could see it happening a bit more. I usually upgrade my train and take the loan hit when faced with this dilemma unless there is a card available that fits with my plan.

Even if no card fits your plans, there still may be a card that fits some other players plan, so take it to deprive them of it. devil BTW, it was officially ruled way back when "Railroad Tycoon" first came out that you can not pass your action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Cowan
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cparrott wrote:

Because we have just started and are still playing the Mexico map, we haven't used any of the operations cards yet.

mark_biggar wrote:
BTW, it was officially ruled way back when "Railroad Tycoon" first came out that you can not pass your action.

Thanks for the clarification.

Hugh,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to update this thread with more current information:

Despite an older and opposite ruling reported to originate with someone associated with the publisher (link), both Martin Wallace (link) and Glenn Drover (link) have more recently and clearly stated that passing is allowed.

Martin Wallace wrote:
I would say that a person can pass as well, so perform no action.

Glenn Drover wrote:
So, let's make it official: Passing (not using all of a player's actions) is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.