Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all,

So last week I got some good discussion out of this original idea. This past weekend I was able to playtest it and get some more impressions of it in game situations.

These were all 3 player games.

In one game, Adventurer was on the table. This made for some strong blockading... I would buy Gold @ 6, drop an Adventurer on Gold (since this was mid game and we all had silvers). I thought that would be a big deterrent, and it was, but it's also limited in the fact that the person who breaks the blockade also gets a pretty strong card. Gardens was out as well, so the psuedo buy was pretty helpful when this popped up.

Another game featured very few + actions and so it was a race to find your favorite terminal action. Blockade, w/ only 5 cost cards out was weaker in that you had to buy a Duchy or a copy of that 5 coster. This set featured some "gain" cards which was nice for those running them to get around the blockade.

One game was action heavy (Festivals and Mining Villages) and I tried to run 2 of these... a few times I had them both, but I couldn't really get cards that I wanted for my deck (ie I wanted gold/silver but my Blokckading options were limited based on the setup) and block stuff out left and right- that and the costs. My opponents each ran one and at this point they used it either offensively or defensively depending on their needs. The game ended due to blockading the Provinces and my opponent used it to buy the second to last Kingdom card and then moved the last one.

All in all, we started to play randomly after that. It popped up but nothing really earth shattering was noted.

It seems like a nice little card for those who like manipulation. It's nice to run 1x since when it pops up you can blockade whatever your opponent's need and in the end game it's nice to prolong or shorten the game. Spamming didn't seem to be a big issue since it has built in limits and it costs 2-6 each time you use it.

I'm pretty happy with where it is, but i'd love your input and/or your own experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc McConley
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Legal Blokus board using all the pieces
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting idea. A few thoughts:

Does it have to be a Kingdom card? What about letting it be any card in the supply?

What about the following tweak? You have to take a copy of the same card that you just bought and place it on top of a supply pile of cards with the same cost. That way, if you want someone else to have to take a junky card, you have to take one yourself.

The reason to buy / play a card like this would be if you are playing a much different strategy from your opponent. For example, if you are using Chapel to make a small deck and your opponent is buying Coppers and Gardens to build up a big deck, maybe you buy a Curse and put a Curse on top of the Coppers. Or if your opponent is only buying money, maybe you stick a Village on top of the Silvers.

Cost is probably reasonable. The way I suggested tweaking it, maybe it becomes a cost 2. It's basically a +Buy with a twist. My only other thought is that buying during the action phase seems messy (even though Black Market does the same thing).

Nice artistry on the card; wish I was good at that sort of thing.

How would this work with cards that direct you to do things like "gain a Curse", "gain a Silver", etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Does it have to be a Kingdom card? What about letting it be any card in the supply?

As Josephus says, this was done to make sure that you only put cards people generally want on top of piles (ie no coppers/curses).

Quote:
What about the following tweak? You have to take a copy of the same card that you just bought and place it on top of a supply pile of cards with the same cost. That way, if you want someone else to have to take a junky card, you have to take one yourself.

Why would I play it if that is the case? Part of the strength of this is getting what you want and hurting the opposition. Also, limiting it to the same cost would be very crippling. It would also limit its usefulness in blocking key cards and conversely, rebuilding near empty piles.

But I would note that in some setups you are very limited in your choices and you end up in situations like the one you propose... like we played one w/ Minion as the only 5 cost, so if I buy a Duchy/Minion I can only chose Minion.

Quote:
The reason to buy / play a card like this would be if you are playing a much different strategy from your opponent. For example, if you are using Chapel to make a small deck and your opponent is buying Coppers and Gardens to build up a big deck, maybe you buy a Curse and put a Curse on top of the Coppers. Or if your opponent is only buying money, maybe you stick a Village on top of the Silvers.

Yeah, I more or less used it to spike a key card but in some cases, if I was able to be the first or among the first to get 6 for a gold, I would want to block that out as a universal need (or silver would work too)

Quote:
Nice artistry on the card; wish I was good at that sort of thing.

Like the original idea, I cannot claim credit. Stock photography + GIMP filters are amazing.

Quote:
How would this work with cards that direct you to do things like "gain a Curse", "gain a Silver", etc.?

Like Embargo, "gaining" gets around this completely. It's a built in weakness.

Quote:
If a pile of cards had run out, could I use Blockade to put a card on the empty pile. The advantage being that there is now one less empty pile to bring the game to an end.

Yeah, we mentioned that but never used it in that fashion. I blocked out Provinces a few times when I was running Gardens, which was nice but I don't think it was crucial to my winning (I was already above a 40 card deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Goldthorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Is it an intended feature that you can use blockades to break an existing blockade?

1) Play blockade card and use the action to buy the top card (in place from a previous blockade card) and then use your usual buy to take the card underneath it that you want.

2) Play a blockade card and use the action to buy a card and then take a copy of another card you actually want from under some other (previous played) top card and make this available on top of any pile (available for purchase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is it an intended feature that you can use blockades to break an existing blockade?

Yeah, that's definitely intended.

I wanted to make this as simple as possible so that you could have a lot of interesting interactions w/ it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. A lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Finch
United States
Harvard
MA
flag msg tools
I think it's a really bad idea to introduce a new mechanic of buying a card in the middle of the resolution of an action. That's asking for unintended consequences. I understand that you want to be able to buy the card you are blockading, but you can do it a better way:

Blockade
(3)

+1 Buy

Choose a kingdom card and set it aside. At the end of your turn, place that card on any pile in the Supply with the same cost as the card.

(this changes it so that you don't *have* to buy something to trigger the effect... but that's not a big deal, and I doubt was the purpose of the original card)

Also, I would issue errata that when you buy you take the top card of a supply pile, rather than tying a game rule to one specific card that is played (otherwise you have to repeat that rule on any card that needs it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think it's a really bad idea to introduce a new mechanic of buying a card in the middle of the resolution of an action. That's asking for unintended consequences.

In many ways this card is the child of Black Market and Embargo. I felt I was ok re-introducing the Black Market idea of buying stuff as an action.

But your idea has legs IMO it has the potential to be cleaner.

If you buy a card this turn, take a Kingdom card with the same cost and place it on any Supply Pile.

That is nicer, and I think that makes more intuitive sense than the BM-style text.

Quote:
Also, I would issue errata that when you buy you take the top card of a supply pile, rather than tying a game rule to one specific card that is played (otherwise you have to repeat that rule on any card that needs it).

Yeah, I would love the real rules to clarify it. I guess since it's just a home-made card I could omit that text and just put it in the FAQ. I think I will go to the text above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's an edited version of this card. Not sure which way I prefer still.

I am totally embracing the omission of the rule text. It's a fan card, and everyone I play with buys the top card naturally so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Finch
United States
Harvard
MA
flag msg tools
I think that version is much better... a lot cleaner and easier to understand. And I definitely like leaving off the rest of the rules text and just letting the standard behavior stand.

Also, that way it affects gains as well as buys, which I think is perfectly fine.

In this form, it doesn't even really need the +1 buy, you could make it give +2 coin or something, too.... especially since you can only blockade something with another card of the same cost, which is something of a restriction already.

Interesting card, though, I like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Also, that way it affects gains as well as buys, which I think is perfectly fine.

hrm I wanted gains to get around it like it does on Embargo. I guess that's part of the rule text.

I actually had it at +$2 initially, but was convinced that it wasn't a great idea since you could spam it and blockade using a ton of small cost cards (like buying silvers for 1 more and then blockading something 3-4 times over.

I'm ok w/ the +1 buy thematically. You set the blockade so you should be able to get what you want easier than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stallard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way this card is now written, it suggests that you can move multiple cards in a single turn - especially given the extra buy on the card. I'm not sure this was your intention. It means that with, say, four coins and blockade, you could dig a four card hole into any 2 coin kingdom pile - more buys and coins (add a woodcutter, say) and you've got the ability to remove more than half the cards in the pile - very powerful in ending the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tomashewski
United States
Penn Hills
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent point. I think I will have to rewrite it so that it keys off any number of buys, not each buy.

Intent is for it to only be one card moving per blockade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.