Subject: Dominion domination rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Johnston
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sometimes on a Sunday night I play Dominion against my friends Colin and Tony. The first time I played with Seaside I had a fairly miserable time finishing last every game. The next time I played a few weeks later I won every game except one when I finished second by a point. Could my domination continue?

This week we played with 5 base set cards, plus 5 seaside cards. We replace three cards after each game. ( I didn't take any notes so apologies if details are a little sketchy).

The first set included Ambassador, Garden, Woodcutter and Wharf. I went heavily into Woodcutter and Gardens, Colin to go for Gardens without Wooductter (I don't understand what he was trying) and Tony tried to use Ambassador. Colin's deck was not as efficient as mine - we ended up splitting the Gardens 7-3 and I made 40 cards, he didn't. Tony was just giving Colin and I Coppers and Estates, cards we were buying anyway, and he wasn't able to buy enough Provinces before Colin and I ran out Gardens, Estates and Pearl Divers. I won by about 10 points.

The second game still had Woodcutter + Gardens but I decided to use Ambassador this time - my first three buys were two of them plus Silver. Colin and Tony both went for Lookout instead. They both seem to rate Lookout more than I do, and my deck was soon much smaller and more efficient than theirs, and I won fairly comfortably. It seemed fairly illogical for nobody to use Woodcutter/Gardens this game, given that it was still available and I had just won with it.

The Gardens were gone for game 3, but Militia and Festival both appeared, changing the setup considerably. I used Navigator to increase throughput and was rapidly buying Gold, while they setup more action Heavy decks with Militia, Festival and Wharf. I jumped out to an early lead where I bought about four Gold in consecutive turns, and the next time through my deck was able to buy three consecutive Provinces. I had a few Haven in my deck, and these were helpful in setting up good turns - I could dig for cards so I could hoard Treasure for this turn (sending VP cards into next turn) or send Treasure into the next turn to improve the odds of a good turn. I won by a couple of points.

So my Dominion domination(*) continued. It seems odd to me that I win so much given that they play so much more than me, unless their two-player games are teaching them bad habits for three-player games. They seem to rate cards that I don't (Lookout, Spy) for reasons I don't understand.

* Maybe it is the name. I also used to dominate our games of Domaine.

(Edited to remove two incorrect mentions of Workshop)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
If they thought that Spy was a strong card and that Workshop+Gardens was inefficient with at least one opponent running Ambassador, then they were just... not strong players. Workshop/Gardens is one of the strongest combos and openings in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume the first game you mean Workshop and not Woodcutter? Woodcutter is useful with Gardens but not nearly as useful as Workshop.

Ambassador is an interesting play against people playing gardens - giving them stuff (even if it is junk) when they want a bigger deck anyway! Seems a bit foolish to me but maybe someone will chime in with a way it might work.

I am not sure it is the two player difference - I suspect it is their action heavy approach. I think action heavy strategies take quite a bit more experience to get working well than do treasure heavy strategies (as you seem to favour). Some sets also just don't favour action heavy strategies, whereas treasure heavy works pretty well most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Johnston
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Workshop/Gardens is one of the strongest combos and openings in the game.

There was no Workshop in any of our games.

When I say Woodcutter, I mean Woodcutter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon J wrote:
salty53 wrote:

OK it all makes more sense now - I think where Salty and I may have got confused was your 4th paragraph where you say "The second game still had Workshop + Gardens ...".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Johnston
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
Simon J wrote:
salty53 wrote:

OK it all makes more sense now - I think where Salty and I may have got confused was your 4th paragraph where you say "The second game still had Workshop + Gardens ...".

Oops!

So when I way Woodcutter I mean Woodcutter, and when I say Workshop I mean.. Woodcutter (original post now edited)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
That makes more sense then. ^_^

Still, if Woodcutter and Gardens were both available and someone was running Ambassadors, I would still be very heavily inclined to run Gardens. What else were they running in that game, besides Lookout? Was it just Big Money with Lookout added for thinning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad dugas
United States
nevada city
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Roberts says, "Workshop/Gardens is one of the strongest combos and openings in the game. "

I don't get this, how is putting victory cards in your deck early on a good opening strategy? Do you mean specifically when Ambassador is in play?

a bit confused,
-Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Giroir
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddugas wrote:
Roberts says, "Workshop/Gardens is one of the strongest combos and openings in the game. "

I don't get this, how is putting victory cards in your deck early on a good opening strategy? Do you mean specifically when Ambassador is in play?

a bit confused,
-Chad

When going for a gardens strategy you have to get as many cards in your deck as possible. Workshops (and any card that lets you gain cards, like Throne + Workshop) is a good way to help do that.

EDIT: Gardens itself being in the limit of most of the "gain a card" cards is also helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad dugas
United States
nevada city
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ahh thank you, I always assumed in my granted not too vast experience that victory cards in the hand early were a detriment due to their non-action/ non- treasure space in your hand. I see how my beginner/ intermediate viewpoint made this seem 'obvious'. I have alot to learn here. Thanks again though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.