Subject: Can someone describe how a game feels? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Snoddy
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Other posters have mentioned the luck factor is low. Does the game feel chess like? Is it possible to pull out of a bad situation by good card play or a lucky streak? Do battles ebb and flow with ground being retaken or once someone has the advantage are they pretty much unstoppable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Kroegel
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

I will give you my opinion based on playing the game multiple times. I am the designer, so take that into consideration.

As in most card games, managing the cards to their full effect on the game can make a big difference in Panzer General. The luck of the draw can be a big factor, but you can influence that by using your cards and resources wisely.

The game mechanics and cards definitely provide a see saw, ebb and flow affect on the game. With the right cards you can make a come back. I have seen the same map tiles be traded back and forth between the players multiple times. There comes a time, however, where domination of enough key map tiles will sweep you to victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Anderson
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
There were a couple of times that I thought I might lose the battle from my units taking a serious beating from a major offensive. Most of the time I managed to reduce the attack through various action cards, and then turn the tide of battle using reserved support during my offensive.

Using those terrain bonuses can definitely be an important battle turning factor as well, but can also work against you if you are not prepared for them. For example, unit support values do not apply to nearby units when the support unit is in a Bocage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Snoddy
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
ckroegel wrote:

I will give you my opinion based on playing the game multiple times. I am the designer, so take that into consideration.

As in most card games, managing the cards to their full effect on the game can make a big difference in Panzer General. The luck of the draw can be a big factor, but you can influence that by using your cards and resources wisely.

The game mechanics and cards definitely provide a see saw, ebb and flow affect on the game. With the right cards you can make a come back. I have seen the same map tiles be traded back and forth between the players multiple times. There comes a time, however, where domination of enough key map tiles will sweep you to victory.

Hi Chuck, I am always amazed who answers your questions on the internet. I watched your piece on youtube about the game and you mentioned your involvement with SSI. Can I just say I had such a blast playing the Panzer General games not to mention the "gold box" rpg's. Taking Tobruk in the wee small hours of the morning with the last move of my last turn in one of the PG games is without doubt one of the best moments of my gaming life. Thank you so much for your contribution to these outstanding games, you will never know the enjoyment you have given to so many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Kroegel
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks, Tim. We all had great fun making those games at SSI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.