Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playtest of Northern Scenario with Javier Romero – Final turn (Turn 10)

See earlier posts for turns 1 - 3 (turns 7, 8 and 9). This is the last turn (turn 10) of the scenario.

Turn 10

There was only one stack left to eliminate in the North: the Astorians defending Gijon. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to get enough step losses in only one combat, so I set up to have a stack of strong units plus the Italian CTV HQ (for the +1 artillery shift) in reserve to be able to attack in the Exploitation phase, just in case. This would give me a chance to attack it twice during this turn, just incase I rolled poorly on my first attack. I was hoping that I would not need to use the reserves to attack Gijon, since I desperately needed them near Madrid!

As it turns out, it was a good thing that I took this precaution since I rolled poorly on my initial attack. I did managed to inflict enough step losses that my attack in the exploitation phase succeeded, however. Sadly, this left my line facing Javier extremely thin and I knew he was not going to go down without a fight. If he could take 3 more victory cities during his portion of the turn, I would still lose despite having cleared the Northern zone.

In the center, Javier choose not to attack Zaragoza, instead focusing on victory city Huesca north of Zaragoza, Soria north of Madrid and Avila, in the mountains west of Madrid. His attack against the latter was poor, but it was the last turn and he had nothing to lose. The other attacks, however, were extremely high odds and I was forced to commit the CTV air unit to help defend at Huesca.

Despite the air commitment, Huesca fell to the Republicans (2 of 4 victory cities), and lead elements of the Republican forces were at the gates to Soria. Had Javier rolled 1 pip higher, which would have given him 1 additional breakthrough movement points, his units would have had enough MP’s to enter Soria. Would I win because of 1 pip?!?! It remained to be seen what would happen in the South, where there were several victory cities within easy reach of Javier’s forces.

In the south, Javier attacked the victory cities of Cordoba and Granada, as well as a spoiling attack on my HQ near Merida. Because both Cordoba and Granada were only lightly defended (2 steps only in each city), I felt that I had to commit my remaining Legion Kondor air units to their defense. Besides effectively doubling their defense, the -1 column shift was going to be desperately needed, I felt.

With the arrival of the German air over the battlefields, the Republican attacks were broken before they could gain any steam (read: Javier rolled poorly :-> ). Victory was mine as I held onto both victory cities, though it was definitely a close call right through the last combat phase!

As you can see, Granada barely held (only 1 step left) and Javier still had plenty of forces in the area to keep the pressure up. Had this been part of the campaign game, the game would still clearly be in doubt. Soria could be reinforced, but would the units in the North be able to stabilize the line before more victory cities were lost? Would Cordoba and Granada hold for another turn, or would Javier finally roll enough to take these cities? As it stood, the game could have easily changed had Javier been able to have reserves available to enter Soria, or if his attack roll was 1 pip higher; combined with one of Granada or Cordoba falling.

Overall, the Northern scenario is an excellent scenario for learning the heart of the SCW system. Both sides have to attack, as well as defend; events can be critical to the success of either side; and the Nationalists need to utilize their limited, but superior, assets to the best to achieve victory - taking advantage of the higher MP’s to move their units to key locations, as well as their HQ’s for reserves. Likewise, the Republicans have to find a way to get the most out of their large number of weaker units; attrition during the first couple turns will pay dividends later due to the difficult choices faced by the Nationalist player when decided what to do with his limited reinforcements/replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gregorio avelino morin blanco
Spain
Hontanares de eresma (Segovia)
Castilla y Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprisesurprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Romero
Spain
Cerdanyola
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can say that I lost but had a lot of fun, killed a few enemy units, and the thing was very very close. Both the developers and myself are very satisfied with this scenario. The standard rules are almost done and polished, we only need to tweak a bit more the other scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.