Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One idea to make the base game a bit more challenging is to limit the number of weapons a character can use in combat.

Characters would be limited to using only two hands worth of items in combat. Since the cards don't specify how many hands they require we had to use some common sense. For example, a musket requires two hands, a pistol or axe only one hand. This would then limit a character from using, say, two muskets, a pistol, and a saber for +6 combat bonus.

Since the cards don't specify how many hands they require we had to use some common sense. Books don't require hands since you use the knowledge they impart, not the physical book. A torch would still need a hand, so you could use a pistol and a torch, but not a musket and a torch. Charms or medallions could be worn, so no hands are required.

We felt this made combat a bit more balanced and offer some realism.

We haven't played with the expansion, so perhaps this variant isn't needed if playing with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I must be playing this game all wrong because the last thing I need is it to be more difficult - we keep getting slaughtered.

Still it does seem like an obvious gap in the rules leading to some 3 musket weilding heroes and so your suggestion makes a lot of sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing that way since the first game. Hasn't been a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff3333 wrote:
Hmm I must be playing this game all wrong because the last thing I need is it to be more difficult - we keep getting slaughtered.

Still it does seem like an obvious gap in the rules leading to some 3 musket weilding heroes and so your suggestion makes a lot of sense

Ever seen the movie "Jeremiah Johnson"? Two rifles, a pistol and a knife...all in one fight. I'll admit I can't see Lucy Hanbrook pulling that off though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the guns of that era were 'fire and forget' weapons that were impossible to reload in a close combat situation, it makes total sense that a hero would get a benefit from carrying extra flintlocks; he has more shots to fire at the enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.