Sander Spenkelink
Netherlands
Almelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mb
In the beginning we picked the race we wanted to play and than we put the homesystem in front of us and build the galaxy.

After about 4-5 TI sessions we changed it.
Since some races where never picked to play and the galaxy was unbalanced sometimes.

Now we shuffle all the homesystems.
And each player gets a random homesystem.
Each player looks at his homesystem and after that we shuffle them again and set them aside.
Than we build up the galaxy, and put the homesystems we set asside on their fixed locations with the backside up.
After the galaxy is finished we flip the homesystems.
And each player is going to sit near his homesystem.

It turns out that with this method tactics and the galaxy ballance seems very fair.

But im curious about your opinions about our method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your players think it's fair and it seems balanced, then your method sound fine and dandy. With your method, it seems that nobody will start too far ahead or too far behind, and that's a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Priest
United States
Inverness
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One nice thing about TI3 is that there are so many ways that the setup can be tweaked or modified to suit your group, and you can certainly find a plethora of discussions in the threads here.

Your variation creates a situation where because of the randomization of seating assignment after the map creation, nobody wants to create too much imbalance in the map, but at the same time it still allows for the fun of a player created map.

The last game I played we used PsiComa’s bidding system for choosing starting location. I can say that although I had not used it before, it worked wonderfully. You can find it described on the TI3wiki here:

http://www.ti3wiki.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1230085932p

Whatever you do, have fun with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Spenkelink
Netherlands
Almelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mb
galathonredd wrote:
This is functionally identical to the method given in the rulebook.

The rulebook states that all homesystems will be shuffled and than each player should pick one at random. But it didnt mention the random starting location which makes our option different.

Despite that i really like the idea of giving each player 2 homesystems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like it - simple, elegant, and encourages people to create balanced setups.
It might even eliminate the great "ring of desolation" around Mecatol Rex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
galathonredd wrote:
This is functionally identical to the method given in the rulebook.

What my group usually does, though, especially since we have the expansion which provides enough races with which to do so, is shuffle the home systems out and deal two to each player. Then each player chooses one from the two they were dealt. We like the wiggle room given by even such a small amount of choice.

EXACTLY the way our group handles setup. We even thought about dealing out three home systems to chose from since due to unlucky draws some races seem never to hit the table. Two systems seems fine in most cases though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
alex352 wrote:

EXACTLY the way our group handles setup. We even thought about dealing out three home systems to chose from since due to unlucky draws some races seem never to hit the table. Two systems seems fine in most cases though.

My group is at that point now. We've played quite a few games and the chances of getting a race that a player hasn't played yet is slim (the only 2 races I haven't played are the Muat and Sol Federation, and damnit I want to have a war sun out first turn...)

And no-one wants to play the Xxacha

Our rule is (with the expansion) deal 3 races to each player (2 if 6 players). Players may choose one of these races or opt to wait for the second round draw. All unchosen races go back into the box for the second round draw, which is either a random re-deal (what ever you get you keep) or an agreed choice amongst the second round players which depends on no two players desperately wanting the same race.

(The What-ever-you-get-you-keep rule pretty much guarantees an agreement is reached, as no-one wants to get a random poor race when they can choose a better one)

It's necessarily very flexible for our group, to keep the interest going. Now, instead of, "Oh man, I've got X again!" there is a contemplative silence as those without races give the other players that hungry look as they wait to see what races get thrown out for the second chance draw....devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not the method in the rulebook. This method is building the galaxy and then randomly distributing the homesystems. Not a bad way to do it, probably more balanced, but certainly not identical to the standard rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleš Matas
Czech Republic
Pilsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I "invented" mentioned method for our last session of TI3. What I think about it? It is really great! I wanted to post it as a Variant to TI3 forum

I see following advantages:
* It happened to us that one player had four empty systems, but in this setup nobody wants to build overpowered side of the board, so it does not matter so much if you are unlucky in system drawing
* Galaxy was much more interesting and fights very interesting also close to the Mecatol (we played 4 ring in 7 player). In our previous games the empty systems were always adjacent to Mecatol and only those interested in Secret Objective bother with Mecatol. This building style motivates player to put the interesting system also close to it.

All the players from my group really enjoy it (and we did not each other so much before). Nobody feel that it lover the strategy and in fact it grown the funny side of the galaxy building.

We incorporate next time the choosing from two races. This is good rule for those who already have some sessions over them.

Moreover, one remark at the end. We played with four player and thus put 4 random hexes around Mecatol system side down (according to SE rules). I'm thinking to do this next time also for other board setup. It was really nervous to think about what's there devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.