Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth Davies
United Kingdom
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Right, when I a little 'un, I used to paint a lot of GW stuff but was pretty crap. Over the years I've lost interest in playing the game and concentrating on painting the figures, until it became all I like to do with them.

While the quality of Games Workshop figures is in no doubt, I'm simply unwilling to pay so much money for minatures I'm going to enjoy painting but never actually use.

So what I am looking for is a game, with a decent number of minis, which is good to paint? I'm considering Descent (any opinions welcome) or a similar game (not sure of the options) but does anyone else have any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a preferred theme? Descent is probably a good one if you are looking for fantasy. Memoir '44 could be good if you are looking for WWII...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Davies
United Kingdom
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I would prefer fantasy - though I'm open minded. I want to make sure its a game I'll play as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Davies
United Kingdom
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I might have gone for Space Hulk, if there were any chance in hades of getting it for a reasonable price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Fottball: Blood Bowl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring is an excellent game (provided a 2-player ~3-hour game fits with your gaming habits). If you look through the images there, there are some excellent paint jobs folks have done already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore. And maybe you could paint mine too while you're at it? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Davies
United Kingdom
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Which is the better game: Doom or Descent? I guess that's not an easy one to answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 and Descent: Journeys in the Dark were going to be my first picks. Since Chris beat me to them, I'll suggest something off-the-wall instead...

Fury of Dracula (second edition)

Shadows over Camelot

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)

Not exactly a plethora of miniatures in these games, but dang to they look good in play when they're spiffed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as long as we're showing pictures, let me suggest once again...

Battlelore.

It's also my favorite of the games posted so far.. The lore cards rule, and you can finish a game in under an hour..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Zawadzki
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Last Night on Earth, who does not like to paint zombies or scantily-clad zombie fighting nurses? It's something a little different, anyway. A few new expansions have been released recently, the new zombie expansion is excellent, if not a little pricey, the crawling legless zombie would be a blast to paint. The game is not bad either.

If you have a few months or years, don't want to spend a fortune, and have endless patience for painting goblins, go for Battlelore, but I think Last Night on Earth would be less tedious and quite a bit more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onemanlandslide wrote:
Which is the better game: Doom or Descent? I guess that's not an easy one to answer!

Personal opinion but Doom is better from my point of view.

Descent doesn't give you that same looming menace that Doom does if your Invader is playing a good game. Descent may have more variety for the playfield but in the few short corridors you dwell in during a Doom session you'll appreciate learning to guard your rear while denying territory to the Invader's creatures.

Doom is also a base game and an expansion... so your outlay for cash is not ongoing. The minis are great as well. Zombies and Trikes and Mancubus are all varying in form as well as function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggles444 wrote:
I would suggest Last Night on Earth, who does not like to paint zombies or scantily-clad zombie fighting nurses? It's something a little different, anyway. A few new expansions have been released recently, the new zombie expansion is excellent, if not a little pricey, the crawling legless zombie would be a blast to paint. The game is not bad either.

If you have a few months or years, don't want to spend a fortune, and have endless patience for painting goblins, go for Battlelore, but I think Last Night on Earth would be less tedious and quite a bit more fun.

I'll give you that... there are a lot of figures to paint in Battlelore. But with all due respect, I find Battlelore a much better, and deeper (although still accessible,) strategy game than Last Night on Earth (which I traded away after a few plays.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
Biggles444 wrote:

I'll give you that... there are a lot of figures to paint in Battlelore. But with all due respect, I find Battlelore a much better, and deeper (although still accessible,) strategy game than Last Night on Earth (which I traded away after a few plays.)

While it is a fun game, if the OP is accustomed to the mini quality of GW, he'll be very disappointed with the figures in Battlelore. They're small and poorly detailed, not to mention the bending issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
White Knight wrote:
Mr_Bickman wrote:
Biggles444 wrote:

While it is a fun game, if the OP is accustomed to the mini quality of GW, he'll be very disappointed with the figures in Battlelore. They're small and poorly detailed, not to mention the bending issues.

Well, yeah, I guess... But if it's between a game he'll want to play all the time and something he'll play only a few times, or something that takes four hours (or more) to play, it might be worth it. I'm not a painter myself, but those pictures I posted look pretty good to me. But yes, they're definitely not as detailed as GW minis, and they are plastic, not metal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South of You
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison

I'm painting it right now. There aren't as many minis as others, but the game is fun and I wouldn't be surprised if they start re-releasing some of the past expansions with minis (instead of the cardboard stand-ups they used to have).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Davies
United Kingdom
Croydon
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
White Knight wrote:
Mr_Bickman wrote:
Biggles444 wrote:

Well, yeah, I guess... But if it's between a game he'll want to play all the time and something he'll play only a few times, or something that takes four hours (or more) to play, it might be worth it. I'm not a painter myself, but those pictures I posted look pretty good to me. But yes, they're definitely not as detailed as GW minis, and they are plastic, not metal.

It just so happens that I've got a copy of Last Night on Earth, so I will be looking to paint that at some point. Also, someone mentioned Shadows over Camelot - well that's arriving today. Battlelore seems like a good game, but I'm stuck between it and Memoir...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.