Popular Tags: [View All]
Ludovic Antoine
France
Sainte Sigolène
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi ya all !!!
I need a piece of advice.
I'm a "serial gamer", and I love that : RPG, board games, video games, card games... But I never played any wargame in my life, and I want to try this... I need a solitaire game, and I hesitate between "Field commander : Alexander the Great" and "D-day at Omaha Beach". The first one seems easier and nicer, but the second one looks interesting too...
So, there I need your help, espacially if you already tested these....
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Antoine
France
Sainte Sigolène
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So What ! Is that forum dead ???? Or nobody wants to help ????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you just likely got buried too quickly for the wargamers to respond.

That said, I kinda want to try Smokejumpers myself.

You might try looking under the Advanced search. Lots of filters to work with to refine your search.

Sorry, it's not letting me do the link properly to just show you the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Alexander from those two, but judging from the pics I would guess that it is more "newbie-friendly" than D-Day: Omaha Beach.
But both seem to be excellent games.

What always turns me off - and I admit I'm a wargame newbie too - is if the unit counters only feature the tactical unit designations instead of unit illustrations, e.g.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/614956/d-day-at-omaha-beach

If you believe you couldn't distinguish these counters while playing if your life depended on it, Alexander would definitely be the better starting point.

Also, there's the matter of theme: If you have specific interests in WW2 or the Alexander era, this might draw you to one of them.

And there's the scale difference: In Alexander, you play a conquering campaign and move whole armies along large areas, while D-Day portrays a much more detailed level of one or more distinct battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.