United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
And avatars as well!
badge
Move along, folks, show's over....
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased the Puerto Rico PC game off of Thoughthammer to get enough for free shipping. I was curious as to what you guys thought about it in general. Is the AI any good? Does it include the Expansion buildings? How is the interface (better than BSW I hope)? Thanks for any info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an expert by any means in Puerto Rico... but here's my take:

It does have the first expansion buildings.

The AI seems pretty smart but it seems to be vulnerable to the number of players. If you play a 3 player game with 2 "professional" level AI's, you've got a tough game ahead. But somehow when I play with 4 "professional" AI's (a 5 player game), I usually win. Not sure what's going on there.

I like it. It's amusing and fun, but I think you should think of it as a "keeping your skills honed" type of activity rather than a "true" gaming experience. Does that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bauer
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Bazinga!
mbmbmbmbmb
In a word, No.

I found the AI no good. The online had no good way to find players, at least when it first came out and I payed retail for it.

The AI on phial is better and for live opponents BSW has fairly regular games for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
And avatars as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DenverWolf wrote:

The AI seems pretty smart but it seems to be vulnerable to the number of players. If you play a 3 player game with 2 "professional" level AI's, you've got a tough game ahead. But somehow when I play with 4 "professional" AI's (a 5 player game), I usually win. Not sure what's going on there.

I like it. It's amusing and fun, but I think you should think of it as a "keeping your skills honed" type of activity rather than a "true" gaming experience. Does that make sense?

Makes sense to me. Like I said, it was on Clearance at Thoughthammer and it gave me free shipping so I thought I'd take the plunge. Thanks for the insight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
And avatars as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbauer9 wrote:
In a word, No.

I found the AI no good. The online had no good way to find players, at least when it first came out and I payed retail for it.

The AI on phial is better and for live opponents BSW has fairly regular games for now.

I would only play this against the AI, not online. I do play pretty regularly on BSW. Thanks for the reply, Steve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The AI is good for beginners, but not really all that strong. On the otherhand I think this is a great little PC game for a quick fix of PR, it goes really quickly and flows rapidly. You can get a PR game done in 10 minutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walter
msg tools
I got it about a month ago (paid 1.99 for it!) and it's a good way to learn the game and the functional impact of the the buidlings. I play it everyday.

Also, if you know somwone else who has the game you can use the client/server functionality and play directly with that person. A friend of mine and I play with a Professional AI or two to round it out.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it recently too. I consider myself an average PR player and the program beat me up the only 2 times I played against it. However I atribute that to a serious problem with the game: in PR it's essential to watch all the time what your oponents are doing and select roles/adapt your strategy based on it. So I consider essential to watch all the time the plantations and buildings of the other players. The program interface - unless there is any way to change that and I didn't catch it - only allows you to see one board at a time. So to see how the other players are I have to keep scrolling all the time, what I found pretty enerving and eventually got tired of doing that, what explain why I was beaten easily.

Another point is that I am used to the board game layout and - for aesthetic reasons, I presume - they changed the buildings/plantations/overall layout too much, what leads to confusion.

So I consider the web site interface vastly superior. It enables you to see all boards at the same time and the layout is a copy of the board game.

In that sense the program was quite disappointing. To play against a computer the spreadsheet that can be freely downloaded everywhere seems to be superior in all aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex DeGuy
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bug
Do they still sell it? Torrents rock...
Anyway, the game is quite nice, but has a bug that makes winning very easy. Even after the patch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FinnTroll:

I haven't found that bug yet... could you tell us what it is? You could post the answer in spoiler-text for the folks that don't want to know.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex DeGuy
Belarus
Gomel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DenverWolf wrote:
FinnTroll:
I haven't found that bug yet... could you tell us what it is?

Sure.
Apparently, from time to time it's possible to sell more than 1 good during the trading phase. I haven't figured out the conditions for this to happen yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brito wrote:
I bought it recently too. I consider myself an average PR player and the program beat me up the only 2 times I played against it. However I atribute that to a serious problem with the game: in PR it's essential to watch all the time what your oponents are doing and select roles/adapt your strategy based on it. So I consider essential to watch all the time the plantations and buildings of the other players. The program interface - unless there is any way to change that and I didn't catch it - only allows you to see one board at a time. So to see how the other players are I have to keep scrolling all the time, what I found pretty enerving and eventually got tired of doing that, what explain why I was beaten easily.

Another point is that I am used to the board game layout and - for aesthetic reasons, I presume - they changed the buildings/plantations/overall layout too much, what leads to confusion.

So I consider the web site interface vastly superior. It enables you to see all boards at the same time and the layout is a copy of the board game.

In that sense the program was quite disappointing. To play against a computer the spreadsheet that can be freely downloaded everywhere seems to be superior in all aspects.

Carlos, you can see the other players plantations and buildings by clicking on their player area at the bottom of the screen where it gives you their summaries.

I find the computer game to be very enjoyable. I too, play it every day. Yes, you have to become accustomed to the unique interface, but that takes but 2 or 3 plays.

My favorite part about the computer game is I can test out a completely new strategy in less than 10 minutes and I don't care if I get wasted. It's like having a Puerto Rico test dummy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FinnTroll wrote:
DenverWolf wrote:
FinnTroll:
I haven't found that bug yet... could you tell us what it is?

Sure.
Apparently, from time to time it's possible to sell more than 1 good during the trading phase. I haven't figured out the conditions for this to happen yet.

If you have the Office during the trader phase, it allows you to "sell a good that is already in the trading house." And it allows you to do it over and over even in the same trader phase. I simply don't do this since I know it's against the rules. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the one by Reactor 2004/Fancy Bits?

If so, I got it for nice 'n cheap, so I ain't complaining.

IIRC, I beat the Professional AI, and I'm not that great of a PR player. But it is fun to try out the new buildings. That's an arena iOS will require time to catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DenverWolf wrote:

Could this be what happens in the iOS version of Carcassonne? When I play vs. 1 Evil AI, it wins. However, vs. 2 Evil AI, I win b/c them 2 keep each other in check. It seems to be the similar case with this PR game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.