Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I have a friend who's wife, lets just say, doesnt like screwage at all. She loves Dominion and Agricola, but gets mad with a game like Munchkin. Her husband is picking up Thunderstone (great choice IMO) and another game. the ones I have recommended for Co-op and friendlier playare as follows:

Pandemic
Ghost Stories
Ticket to Ride
Blue Moon City
Colosseum

If you have any other input of a game that fits the bill please let me know. Conditions: good production value and creative theme are a plus!

Thanks!

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Santangelo
Argentina
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to compete without messing with each other
And she likes strong theme and shinny objects (and lets admit it, who doesn´t?) I´d recommend thebes, it´s really fun, some competition, no screwage...

Pandemic is another great choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing the same Agricola I'm playing? That game is pretty ripe with screwage (though I suppose you don't necessarily target a particular player if that is what you mean).

Ticket to Ride also has a fair amount of it when played "seriously", though it can just as well be played in a more friendly manner where you worry about your own routes more than trying to screw up anyone elses.

If she can get through the nearly inevitable 1.5-2 games of icon-related befuddlement, Race for the Galaxy might fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
since you listed ticket to ride, i'm going to assume accidental screwing is okay (ie, you could take the route someone wanted or maybe draw their colors).

carcassonne - pick a flavor
saint petersburg
san juan
thurn & taxis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Are you playing the same Agricola I'm playing? That game is pretty ripe with screwage (though I suppose you don't necessarily target a particular player if that is what you mean).

Ticket to Ride also has a fair amount of it when played "seriously", though it can just as well be played in a more friendly manner where you worry about your own routes more than trying to screw up anyone elses.

If she can get through the nearly inevitable 1.5-2 games of icon-related befuddlement, Race for the Galaxy might fit the bill.

Thanks guys for your answers. In Agricola, I dont think that players I play with intentionally block, we just try to make the best moves we can and are occasionally blocked out. yeah that bothers her, but she hates direct screwage, which sucks cause I enjoy it. But TtR can certainly scale all the way up to bastard rather quickly. However, you can play the game as a friendly competition as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Low screwage games

Pandemic
Dominion (remove attack cards)
Goa
Tobago
Saint Petersburg
San Juan
To Court the King
Alhambra
Stone Age, maybe

Some of it depends on whether all the other players agree to avoid screwage. In such cases, games like Ticket to Ride, Thurn and Taxis, work pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cities great game for those that dislike confrontational interaction
Jaipur attractive 2 player set collecting game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a puzzle-type game? If you are thinking of Pandemic, then add something like Ubongo to the list.

Ra - I love this one. Screwage exists as in all auction games, but it's not a game killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.