Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven F
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
what do you think about using an En Gard'e type combat system with this game?

In En Garde opponents each get 25 cards to battle with.

In this variant there'd be less cards per hand,and musketeer would have slight advantage by having more cards than the enemy

eg musketeer gets 12 cards, cardinal man gets 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, I don't know En Garde, so I can't comment about it, but my concern would be that rifling through a deck to find combat cards could slow down the game whereas right now the game feels good and fast, just like sword play should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne Kärki
Finland
Varkaus
Pohjois Savo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it could work, but you should be thinking it more as themed En Garde session than The Three Musketeers made better, As you would likely end up playing much more En Garde than TTM:QP. Possible downtime with more than 2 players might be an issue, and Cardinal Player should really enjoy En Garde to be happy to play so many rounds of it.

Possible En Garde handicaps could include different amount of cards in hand and Musketeer starting further on the gaming track to allow him more movement room than a guard has. Or disallow Guard player to move backwards at all.

You might also give less hadicaps to Cardinal player in En Garde, and simply remove Reinforcement Cards from cardinal's tools to reduce guards, but make them relatively stronger. You should also decide, would musketeer be knocked down or just lose single wound when losing En Garde match. That would most likely be related what kind of handicaps you would choose to use.

I would recommend either:
1)En Garde tournament to decide who play who in the Three Musketeers.

2)Allow Cardinal Player to shout "En Garde!" with lone guard once in the game to challenge lone Musketeer. Would be very thematic and cinematic to have one veteran guard to actually put up a good prolonged fight. (If musketeer was beaten, he would lose all wounds.)

In En Garde you use single 25 card deck and both players draw from it. So setting it up wouldn't cause downtime, as possible handicaps would be really easy to use (ie. other player simply keeps four cards in his hand instead of usual five.)

(edited few times to polish and to fix a bit)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.