King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are these things called?

I had them a few years ago while in Tokyo. I keep trying to do a search for them but all pictures have no description or even a name in the URL. All searches for savory Japanese pancakes (or some such) give me results for okonomiyaki which I know is not the same as those things in the pictures.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
What are these things called?

I had them a few years ago while in Tokyo. I keep trying to do a search for them but all pictures have no description or even a name in the URL. All searches for savory Japanese pancakes (or some such) give me results for okonomiyaki which I know is not the same as those things in the pictures.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Looks like okonomiyaki to me. Dishes can vary from region to region and each have a bit of a different style to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are called delicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, looks like chibi okonomiyaki or some such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reticent Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We stand in the Atlantic, we become panoramic. The stars are caught in our hair, the stars are on our fingers, a veil of diamond dust.
mbmbmbmbmb

This is really cute. Found on OKONOMIYAKI RECIPE BLOG. I'm hungry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
Looks like okonomiyaki to me. Dishes can vary from region to region and each have a bit of a different style to it.

Indeed.
This looks like the Fukuoka variant, but I'm not 100% sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. So it's the same thing then?

This variant simply happens to be made in little molds?

I tried to find a video of someone doing the crazy flipping with chopsticks and a small spatula of the molded ones like I had seen from street vendors.

It's pretty awesome.

Thanks for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:

The molds are not something regional as far as I know. There are several types of Japanese streetfood that are made in molds like this, and probably someone came up with the idea to make special molds for okonomiyaki to make it more easy to eat on the street. However, these molds create rather thick okonomiyaki and that is typical of Fukuoka style, as is the egg inside. Hence, this particular variety seems - to me, and I'm no expert - to be a special street version of Fukuoka style okonomiyaki. (But again, I may be wrong.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Lajos wrote:
Nazhuret wrote:

The molds are not something regional as far as I know. There are several types of Japanese streetfood that are made in molds like this, and probably someone came up with the idea to make special molds for okonomiyaki to make it more easy to eat on the street. However, these molds create rather thick okonomiyaki and that is typical of Fukuoka style, as is the egg inside. Hence, this particular variety seems - to me, and I'm no expert - to be a special street version of Fukuoka style okonomiyaki. (But again, I may be wrong.)

Man, I have some stories about Fukuoka....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
KSensei wrote:
Lajos wrote:
Nazhuret wrote:

I lived in Fukuoka for 3 years. My apartment was in Nishijin and I worked in Tenjin.

I drank waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much when I was there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Those type of molds are usually used for okonomiyaki here too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Helljin wrote:
KSensei wrote:
Lajos wrote:
Nazhuret wrote:

I lived in Fukuoka for 3 years. My apartment was in Nishijin and I worked in Tenjin.

I drank waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much when I was there.

Where did you go drinking at!?!? Tenjin was near the train station right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Oyafuko-dori we often went to place called "Jacky's American Bar" lots of expats hung out there.

Also over across the street from Daia there was a place up a few floors called the International Bar.

There are a couple of train lines running thru Tenjin. The Nishitetsu and the subway down in the Chikagai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, we spent all our time at Oyafuko-dori. We would go to the Darkroom, Funky Cafe, Happy Cock, and a few others that I don't remember their names. I remember one new years day waking up at an apartment that was somewhere in Fukuoka where I had never been before. I was walking down this road in what seemed like the industrial area which was eerily silent when I finally saw a cab. I managed to wave him down and asked him to take me back to Oyafuko-dori, but he didn't know what I was talking about. Only other thing I could tell him was there was a Mos Burger in the vicinity.

I thought that Hakata Station was in Tenjin...or was that the Canal City Mall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tangential question:

Does anyone have recommendations on takoyaki pans/molds for home use? I was thinking of picking up this guy on Amazon, but I'd love suggestions if anyone has experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
There is nothing worse than leaving a bar you went into at 9pm that night and you come out with the sun is coming up.

I did that several time on that street. I hate that feeling.

Canal City was built after I moved back to the USA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.