United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to do a foam board like the ones in the image galleries but decided to use materials I had on hand instead. So I cut some hardboard to the right side - cut some MDF to make a frame to keep it flat and raise it up a bit. Then commenced to painting.

I tried painting a grassy field but ended up scrapping it after a few hours and doing the "space painting" spray paint trick.

Here it is drying...

Just need to add a grid and some text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks GREAT so far! It's sure going to be a lot more durable than foamboard. What's the "space painting" trick? Whatever it is, it seems to give wonderful results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! The trick is basically layering spray paint and then removing some with glossy paper.

Here is a one minute video of someone making a space painting using this method:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Quintal
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That's a really cool technique - I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Several hours later and after a few goofs we have lines:

I've decided to skip lettering the draw/magic/discard squares because they are covered up 99.9% of the time anyway...

Now tomorrow I'm just going to give it a few clear coats and I'll call it done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Quintal
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First off, the board looks gorgeous, but part of me wishes you might have substituted the pink for a blue color.

Parts of this board look like ice shards or patterns that frost makes on windows. I think that would have tied in perfectly with the Tundra Orcs whole schema.

But overall it's a wonderful looking board - I hope you have many hard-fought battles on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments!

I had slate, red and black spray paint on hand - so that's what I used - also this was my first attempt using this trick so I really had no idea how things would mesh together. Add to that I'm color blind so the reddish/pink hues are pretty much lost on me

Now that I think of it - I do have some blue acrylic - Hmmm maybe I can add a wash over it before clear coating.

Edit - ok wash helped a tiny bit but looking closer I was noticing some flubs on lining it that I undid, but I will always see them as is - so running to the store for some blue spraypaint and I'll go easy on/skip the red this time.

Fortunately its a very easy process and I was able to mark the tape I marked off the board with for the lines (and then covered over that tape with more tape - so it will be much easier to line this time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok i'm high on paint fumes now but it has been repainted a few times now.

I tried a blue/white vs red/black side but it just didn't turn out well enough - I think the marble effect needs a few more colors.

So I went back to a single marbley effect.

It's still wet and it's a bad pic but here it is in the garage at the moment:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks like a great end result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok the lining took longer than expected because it was darker than the other board so I had to go lighter with the lines. Which meant multiple coats so I had to tape everything, etc etc.

I decided to just do horizon lines with some cross hatches to delineate spaces as opposed to full vertical lines. The flash made the lines a bit brighter than they are in real life - they are a greenish-gray.

Now all that is left is to let it "cure" a little longer and put on a clear topcoat to seal everything up.

Then the day after it is done-done the official board will be released I'm sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.