Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't many multiplayer historical wargames that I really enjoy. I'd probably limit my interest to the double-board Commands & Colors games such as Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #5 – Epic Ancients II.

For non-historical wargames, I'd nominate: Dune and Titan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Friedrich and Here I Stand are probably my two favorite multi-player games. I also really like Maria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games you mentioned are all historical -- I'm not sure whether that was deliberate. If so, I'd certainly have to agree that Successors is right up there (not the S&T version!). If you include Diplomacy as a wargame then arguably Civ and its various derivatives are as well. Revolution: Dutch Revolt and Lords of the Sierra Madre are both well worth looking at (the latter in particular has rules issues IIRC) and are easily 3+ players.

For fantasy/SF you've got Dune, Chaos in the Old World and Succession Wars.

Edit: just in case it's not clear, these suggestions are based on my limited experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
God's Playground is sort of a odd euro / wargame / Martin Wallace hybrid for specifically 3 players about Polish history. I've played it a few times; it's interesting and different, so it might be worth checking out, if the "exactly 3 players" is not a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Houben
Netherlands
Voorburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiplayers I like a lot are Successors (third edition) and The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition).

My favorite at the moment is Sword of Rome. I like the seperate card decks for the Gauls, Romans, Greeks and Etruscans/Samnites. Each side plays very differently because of that and because of some interesting rules. Like the fact that the Romans can build colonies to get extra troops, the Gauls can plunder and loot to get VP and the Etruscans can bribe to avoid unfavorable battles. The cards offer a lot of interaction between players. You can hire Gallic mercenaries away from their leaders as the Greeks, other players can attack the Greeks with non-player power the Carthaginians, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EuroFront II is my favorite game that can be played multiplayer.

This game is excellent with 2 but just as excellent with 3 or 4 players.

By doing so the roleplaying aspect becomes increasingly interesting :-)

Great game!!

Pls note you must own WestFront II / EastFront II as well in order to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
That's a tough question to answer. There are now quite a few really good wargames that support 3 or more players. The obvious candidate is Here I Stand, but there are a number of others that are in my opinion on par with Here I Stand:

The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) is a great game, as is its sibling Wellington. My friends and I found Kutuzov a bit of a disappointment, largely because of the less than elegant (or convincing) rules for Morale and Attrition, and some of the other game specific features.

Clash of Monarchs is also outstanding, although it took me a few plays to really appreciate the design.

One little known card driven wargame that I really like is Assyrian Wars. It supports 1-5 players (although I find the claim that it can be played solo a little unconvincing) and has some nice featues not found in other card driven games.

Some others that I think are less good, but still a lot of fun include:

Sword of Rome, which also has a fifth player expansion
Successors (third edition)
Zero! (part of the Down in Flames)

One final game that I have yet to play, but looks like it could be a lot of fun (and has relatively simple looking rules) is The Campaigns of King David.

Cheers,

Matt

Edit: spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love many of those listed. Another that's amongst my favorite games is Star Fleet Battles. Wooden Ships & Iron Men, while I haven't played it in ages, was great for multiplayer sessions in high school and college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Britannia. Been my favorite game for 20 years and likely that will never change. Sword of Rome and Here I Stand rate very highly as well but unfortunately I rarely get to play those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My euro gaming group is going to play Junta

next month. You can play up to 7 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Schubert
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the new Attack! Deluxe.
Its not historic, its an any-war, but my group which has a mix of hard-core and recreational gamers can all get into it.
Its light enough but has lots of options to strengthen your army's capabilities. It lends itself well to 5-7 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not even out yet but it looks like my dream game, The Supreme Commander. 2-5 players. It'll be summer of 2011 at the earliest I fear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Romana would be my favourite multisided wargame. For team games I like anything from the OCS series. Also while not a wargame, I think the Republic is a pretty good multiplayer game and certainly a political sim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft: The Board Game, but only with the expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Seifert
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Successors (3rd Ed.)
Here I Stand
Britannia
7 Ages

Probably in that order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three player games are tough, they always become a 2 on 1 affair.

There are several decent 4 player games, but my favorite is Sword of Rome. It's not great with 3, and the jury is still out for me if 5 is any good.

I like Here I stand and Nappy Wars with 5 or more.

Revolution is also a great multi-player war game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Sauer III
United States
Circleville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THIRD REICH !!!

3 player is great !!!

One is Germany / Italy

Second is Britian / US

Third is Russia / France
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea that Stephen Hawking played third reich!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
TonyClifton wrote:
I had no idea that Stephen Hawking played third reich!

I am confused! Does one of the guys in the previous comment's photo look like Stephen Hawking or something? Which one? What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DorianGray wrote:
I also enjoy Here I Stand but I don't have a copy and its impossible to purchase one now so all the more reason people should pre-order. (Please... for the love of god do so)

I know the feeling. I lucked out and found an OOP GMT Game to trade for Here I Stand. I hope that GMT will get another edition made. It is a very enjoyable game to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Doria
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Kingmaker. I feel like I push this game on a thread at least once a week. But it deserves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax Romana

Honourable mention:

Europe Engulfed
Friedrich
Here I Stand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Does one of the guys in the previous comment's photo look like Stephen Hawking or something? Which one? What am I missing?

the multi-disciplinary entourage, probably.

A Brief History of the World is looking better with every play. Then there's War of the Ring (First Edition) with two teams of two, and Liberty Roads in the same format, though there team members work more harmoniously together, i shouldn't wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No question about it, my favorite multi-player wargame is World in Flames. Played many times with 3 and even some games with 4,5 and once with 6 players.

Prior to that my most often played multi-player games were with Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.

I've even played War between the States (first edition) with 4 players. Two on a side with the mountains dividing commands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, to steal the thread a bit, what are the best 3 player only/capable games? Right now I'm looking at Angola, but that seems to be a 4 player game. I've gotten in a strange situation where there are two other wargamers available to play and usually both of them are there, making most 2 player experiences pretty limited. Also, we usually only get together for on long session, maybe a game up to 10 hours is the max.

Any ideas?

Oh, and Here I Stand is totally awesome. It looks like Virgin Queen will also be spectacular! (I'm in the playtest group).

Edit: clarify

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.