Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Here is a crazy game my son and I enjoy playing. Just for the fun of it I like to give myself design constraints just to see what I can come up with. For this game I wanted to create a simple to learn, fast playing abstract. It also needed to have a hex based board. Now, I know it’s an abstract, yet, I still wanted a theme that made sense given the game mechanics. This is the taxi wreck that came from all that...

nExus taxi

The galaxy is a busy place and no job is as busy as a taxi driver. Your job is to pilot your taxi ship through warp gates picking up and dropping off passengers. Be careful of the nexus though, should your ship stop there you never know where you will end up. Will you be the first taxi driver to deliver seven passengers before the work day is over?

Components

One (printer friendly) game board
Two 10 sided die (one shared die would work just fine)
One destination marker for each player
14 meeples/passenger cubes
Two space taxis (something that a cube can rest on would work best)

Setup

Each player chooses a color and starts the game with a 10 sided die, a destination marker, and their taxi cab. Next, the 14 passenger cubes/meeples are placed to one side of the game board. The players then “seed” 5 passengers on the game board by rolling a 10 sided die. A passenger is placed on the warp gate that corresponds to the number rolled on a die. For example, if an 8 is rolled, a passenger is placed on the warp gate with the number 8. Note: no more than two passengers may wait for a cab on the same warp gate. For example, warp gate 8 has two passengers waiting to be picked up. A third passenger may not be added to that warp gate. Should a taxi pick up a passenger from warp gate 8 (bringing its total down to one passenger) it then becomes possible to add another passenger to that warp gate in the future.

Gameplay

Each player rolls their die to determine who goes first (highest roll wins). Both players begin the game by placing their taxi in either hub. A taxi must complete two moves on each turn, if possible. Movement between hub-nexus-hub may go in either direction. Movement into and out of warp gates must follow the path of each warp gate. Arrows point in the direction that may be used for movement. A player may never move against the direction arrow of a warp gate. In addition to normal movement, all warp gates are linked to gates of the same color. A taxi may also warp from one warp gate of the same color to another of the same color (this “warping” counts as one move). If a player ends their turn in the nExus they must roll their die to determine which warp gate their ship is warped to (stopping on the nexus is a one way ticket to a random warp gate). Note: movement from the nexus does not count as a turn. The two hub hexes on the board are not warp gates and players may not warp from one hub to another. Moreover, only one taxi is allowed per warp gate. There may be more than one taxi in a hub.

There are two “space” locations on the game board. These locations represent a longer warp time between two warp gates. For example, to travel between warp gate 8 and warp gate 6 a taxi must first move to the “space” location before continuing on to warp gate 6.

Passengers

The object of the game is to taxi passengers from one warp gate to another. Players will navigate their space taxi to a warp gate location where there is a passenger waiting to be picked up (picking up a passenger does not count as a move). Your taxi can only hold one passenger at a time. Once you have a passenger you need to find out where they need to go. Roll your 10 sided die. Place your destination marker on the number of the warp gate you roll. Should you roll the number of the gate you are currently on-- re-roll until you roll another destination. Once you have a destination for your passenger, off you go. When you arrive at your passengers destination take the passenger cube as a victory point. Immediately roll your die and place a new passenger cube from the supply pile on a warp gate (following the placement rules for seeding the board-- no more than two passengers in waiting per warp gate). Just like picking up a passenger, dropping off a passenger does not count as a move. Play continues until the first player delivers 7 passengers.

I’m sure that there are refinements that could be made... but, we just enjoy the crazy mess of a game that it is.

Edit: for rules clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very original idea. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
high, high, high tigh tigh .. space taxi .. to the sky ..

refinements? not at all .. it's a "chaotic mess" and that's cool cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a lot of fun. I'd like to try it out.

Also, since time and money is always an issue, I really appreciate PnP games that can be printed on one page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question:
Unless I missed it, you never specifically say what happens if you end your turn on the Nexus. I am guessing that you just roll a d10 and move to a random gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Question:
Unless I missed it, you never specifically say what happens if you end your turn on the Nexus. I am guessing that you just roll a d10 and move to a random gate.

Yes! I'll see if I can make that more clear. Thanks for the eagle eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
high, high, high tigh tigh .. space taxi .. to the sky ..

refinements? not at all .. it's a "chaotic mess" and that's cool cool

Chaotic-- absolutely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played this last night. It's a fun little game. Are you planning on adding it to the BGG database?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like there isn't much room for strategy, since there's no way to know the destination of a passenger before picking them up. Though I do really like the movement mechanics.

Any chance in up-sizing to 4-player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It made sense to me that a taxi wouldn't know where it was going until you make the pick up... so, the strategy of the game, as I see it, falls into two types: movement efficiency for both passenger drop off/pick-up and blocking. Both players know the locations of at least 4-5 passengers in waiting. Once you grab a passenger you need to find the most economic way to drop that passenger off at his destination-- keeping in mind the next best passenger to pick up once you make the drop off. The catch is that due to the limitation of one taxi per warp gate, you can find your self blocked-- and to make things worse you must move your taxi if possible (which could send you off in a less efficient route). There is also a possibility to be blocked with out any possible moves. Play will then pass to the other player.

Once a passenger is dropped off, the player rolls a die to see where to place the next passenger cube/meeple. Lady luck could be kind and have a passenger dropped right in your taxis lap or on a warp gate that could be more efficient to get to.

So, yes, I would say this game would be more of a tactical game, since you are limited in just how far you can plan ahead. But, in truth, its just a silly fast playing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
My wife and I played this last night. It's a fun little game. Are you planning on adding it to the BGG database?

Glad you liked it Nick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:
Any chance in up-sizing to 4-player?

Hmmmm... never really thought about it. I can put some thought into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*push*

I just made a map for this one for the folks who like eyecandy:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Looks interesting! You should write it up and submit it as a game entry...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
schattentanz wrote:

Shouldn't the copyright in the lower right be 2010?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
*push*

Love the star field, not so crazy with how the arrows also connect to corners of the hexes, some look kinda funky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:

Love the star field, not so crazy with how the arrows also connect to corners of the hexes, some look kinda funky.

Agreed. I don't know if you can do it, but what if the line itself was like a dashed line of arrowheads? Something like this: >>>>>>>>>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks Kai for thinking this game was worth a graphic overhaul/redesign. I agree with the comment concerning how the arrows connect to each hex being a little funky looking. The orientation of the hexes on the original game board have two points of each hex point in a North-South direction (funny to describe it that way in a "space" game). Your Hexes have a flat side on each North-South point. That may make an aesthetic difference.

Couple other minor things: the 2009 Copyright was as much a date stamp for me as anything else. The game was made in 2009, yet, it wasn't until recently that I thought I would share it with the game design forum here on the geek. So, what it should really be-- I don't know...

As a teacher of grade school kids I tell them (jokingly) on the first day of school, "My name is Mr. Allen, but, I'll respond to anything but Grandma." I prefer Sean, but, I'll go by John too (the font size I used for my name was microscopic). You could leave it off if you want. I've found that when I play games that I've created with people, the closer they look to a polished game the more "buy in" they have with it. So, I always throw little things like that in-- not for vanity-- but to create the illusion of professionalism.

It's cool that you took the time to do this. I really like how you used an empty stroke to create the "star space". The feel of the original design was to emulate that simple 60's Sci-Fi look (and as a bonus it makes it cheap to print on a home printer).

If anyone lacks anything better to do, I wrote up the design process I went through on my first game design. Journal of a Game Design Hobbyist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:

Looks interesting! You should write it up and submit it as a game entry...

You know I've tried and its been several weeks without any response. I've entered game entries into the database before, but never my own. Any suggestions?

As I was writing a response to Kai the geek went down. I decided to pull up the nexus game board and play around myself with an eyecandy type design (Kai, I hope I don't seem like an a-hole for doing that). I created the nebula from scratch in Photoshop and used that as the background. So, this how I killed some time waiting for the geek to come back up:

David-- you asked about a version to play more that two players. I'm (slowly) working on a board that could accommodate more. I thinking right now it would work best with two different boards. Keeping the current board for two players and then a larger board (with an additional hub and warp gates) for more players. But, we'll see. Anyways, thanks for even taking a look at the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anthropos95 wrote:
David-- you asked about a version to play more that two players. I'm (slowly) working on a board that could accommodate more. I thinking right now it would work best with two different boards. Keeping the current board for two players and then a larger board (with an additional hub and warp gates) for more players. But, we'll see. Anyways, thanks for even taking a look at the game.

Cool, glad your still looking into it. I showed this game to my wife and she was interested in trying it out. So regardless as to the number of players you'll likely have a customer among my family

It would be cool if the boards to increase the number of players were modular and just added on to this board, but it looks like that would be very difficult if even possible to do without adding unnecessary complication. Separate board is likely the better choice. I'll be keeping on eye on how things progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anthropos95 wrote:
I thinking right now it would work best with two different boards. Keeping the current board for two players and then a larger board (with an additional hub and warp gates) for more players. But, we'll see. Anyways, thanks for even taking a look at the game.

I think this would work pretty well. Is the idea to have a warp that leads back and forth between the two boards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anthropos95 wrote:
I prefer Sean, but, I'll go by John too

ARGHS!

Now, this is embarassing .. you know, when typing your name, I pronounced in my head "Sean", and entered "John" .. damn ..

Your nebula is nice, and no, you are no "a-hole" at all! It is your game, after all

The picture I used is - btw - from http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

From here, to be precise:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061211.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Allen
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Over the past week I've tinkered with the nebula board. Here are a couple different versions. I tried to use something similar to the suggestion >>> for the warp paths. I also tried to make the warp gates a little more "warpy" than just a solid color.

This next board has only the destination points for each hex/space. It's less cluttered-- I'm just not convinced that it's easy to read.

One more just for the "flare" of it...

Suggestions???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Any/all the boards look good to me. However, when I get around to trying this game, I'll probably end up doing yet another redesign of the board, geared towards a black-n-white laser printer... I'm thinking something with the circles, hexes, and arrows "hollow" so they can be hand colored (with colored pencils or whatever) and a mostly-black star field for the background...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
actually i like the original the best. the background seems to be too colourful and distracting with all the different colours hub to take note of.

but out of the 3 new designs, i like the 3rd the best.

and i think your handcolour solution is good! gonna save me lotsa ink! do upload a version when u get around it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.