BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: $600 of gaming goodness... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Boardgames are a great way to socialize with friends. I think it's healthy if you can afford it. Sometimes people get tired of learning the rules to new games, though. You may have an easier time finding players if you slow down a little and play the games you already have more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Bensmiller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Afraid Yet?
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering your list looks a lot like what I own and what's on my wishlist I welcome you officially to Board Game Geekdome!

All of the games you have listed are fun and all fit a niche in your collection.

The only advise I can give you, is make sure you don't get too many games in the same genre with similar mechanics. I've found out that playing the same same games over and over limits the fun, and you should narrow it down to a select few to keep it fresh and exciting.

Personal opinions on your list:

Runewars - Love it. Massive game with lots of theme and fun to play. Better with more players and one I enjoy a lot.

Runebound - Setup isn't as bad as Arkham Horror, but be warned that this game still takes awhile to play and it can take some time if you have overly aggressive players fighting eachother.

Warhammer Invasion + expansions - This is a fun game and definitely a recommendation if you want the CCG element, but you don't want the cost. Lots of expansions out there and relatively easy to get into.

Le Havre - I love Le Havre over Agricola, although my wife likes Agricola better. It plays well and the decisions are fun to make. Chewing up cows for meat and getting those boats built are always good :)

Through the Ages - Love this game :) Better with more players, but you can play it with 2. The theme and the gameplay drive this one. Long game though if played with advanced or full rules. A bit of money for what you get, but I love playing this with 4 players.

Middle-Earth Quest - I would get War of the Ring before Middle Earth Quest. More to do with the books and the movies, than what MEQ does. This one has always been a maybe on my list, but I've played War of the Ring enough to know I don't need that one.

Thunderstone/Dominion - Honestly I own both. Dominion is a more slick and fast game to play than Thunderstone. The theme is better in Thunderstone, but I find the lack of combos and overall speed brings it down. If you want a lighter game that more people will enjoy, I'd say Dominion. If theme is important, than Thunderstone.

Basketboss - Love basketball too and this one looks like a fun game as well, although I like sports simulation or strategy games better.

Tomb: Cryptmaster - I originally had this one higher, but I think games such as Descent, Runebound, Talisman and Prophecy rank higher for me. If it wasn't so expensive I'd probably pick this up, but it still has an appealing theme.

Race for the Galaxy + expansions - Great game and fast paced. Can cause some Analysis paralysis, and better with more players, but it has neat artwork and good mechanics.

Claustrophobia - Again, I have Descent, so I don't think I need this one, but with 2 players all the time this one may be of interest. Check out Dungeon Twister: Prison for something good for you 2 as well.

Dungeoneer: Vault of the Fiends - No opinion on this one :p

Summoner Wars - Try Battleground: Fantasy Warfare for something else you two might like. Miniature game without the miniatures and you don't need that flimsy playmat ;)

Prophecy - Better to play when you have a lighter gaming group. I'd pull this out over Runebound anyday. Talisman also works in this same vain.

Field Commander: Alexander - Memoir 44 and Battlelore would be up your alley as well.

Dungeon Lords
- Awesome game, great components. Played this lots. I know you'll love it :) Best played with 4.

Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel - I love the components and it's pretty easy to learn. Good introduction war game and fun to play coop or against someone.

Shipyard - This is a heavier Euro game and I know you may have trouble getting it on the table based on your statements. I would make sure you have other people interested before purchasing. This is also on my Thinking of list because it may not appeal to people in my group.

Cuba - I really like this game, but it is very similar to Stone Age, Pillars of the Earth, and Colonia. Resource management with other mechanics thrown in. I actually really like it with Pillars of the Earth. And the rum bottles look good :)

Vasco da Gama - Another wish list item. Only thing I'm worried about, is how similar it might be to other Euro's I've got. Theme and board look great.

Call of Cthulhu LCG + expansions - Just bought this one, and haven't played it. Loved the theme and it makes a good 2 player game. Lots of expansions too.

A Game of Thrones LCG + expansions - I own the CCG before it became a LCG and it's a great game. Very themey and great artwork. Closer to a CCG game than the Warhammer invasion and lots of decks you can make.

Mystery Express
- Looks great and on my radar.

Android
- Theme great! Mechanics.. OK. Maybe a little too much going on. Plus this one takes awhile to set up. Tread cautiously.

Tobago/The Adventurers - Tobago would be a great choice. Adventurers is also fun, but why not get both!

Heroscape
- This one is cheap to get into and would be fun, but can take up a lot of space. Be cautious on getting into this one as you might need a few tubs to keep it all! Just ask Tom Vasel.

A Touch of Evil - Lighter, fun game and something you may enjoy if you can't get Arkham on the table. I might get this, but I enjoy Arkham way too much.

The Island of Dr. Necreaux - A agree on your statement :)

Forbidden Island
- Pandemic is fun, but may get repetitive. I'm still on the fence on this one. Time will tell.

Twilight Struggle - This and 1960: Making of the President are great games. 2 players is the way to go. If you love the theme, then this is a must.

Catacombs - Again, I'm on the fence and waiting and seeing.

Didn't check your games list, so I hope I didn't recommend ones on your list or ones you already know about.

Happy buying :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ruleroftheuniverse wrote:
Sometimes people get tired of learning the rules to new games, though. You may have an easier time finding players if you slow down a little and play the games you already have more often.

This is good advice. Slow down a bit! Get a few games every now and then and learn your and your familys tastes in board games. Then get games you can all enjoy together. Even the best game in the universe will be worthless if you'll have no one to play it with. Judging from your experiences with Last Night on Earth, your family is not ready for most of the games on your list. I know I'd be pissed if I spent $600 on games no one will play with me.

Maybe get these lighter games first and build from there: Runebound OR Prophecy, Summoner Wars and Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that is a motherload. surprise Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Bensmiller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Afraid Yet?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

And dawitchy, I can't thank you enough for the advice and comments you made on each game. It really helped me narrow down the list a little more so I didn't spend too much, which I was worried about doing.

No Problem.

I think you have a good collection going on there and best of luck on finding what you enjoy to play. I've gone through similar instances where I've purchased a lot and found I either haven't the time to play all the games I like, or I've done a little blind buying and maybe haven't gotten the right games for my game group.

Once you get these games, make sure to see what you like and then it will be easier to narrow down your next purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not have bought expansions without playing the base game quite a bit first. Intrigue and Seaside are overkill if you don't like Dominion. Same for the RftG expansions. Make sure you love the base game first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
Basketbox?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.