Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Rules

Subject: what's an ambush ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
I'm a bit surprised by the way my players understand how an ambush works, It makes it weaker than I thought. Could you please confirm or infirm ?

One player is awake. The others get a sleep counter.
I place my monsters.
The players begin (that's the part I'm not sure of). They may immediately try to discard their counters.
That's in average two characters that may immediately react (one vigil and one awakened), so the ambush effect is nearly lost ; especially if one of the awake characters makes weakish attacks on his teammates to awaken them.

Anything wrong ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how we're doing it too. I made the mistake last session of assuming I'd get a hit or two in against sleeping characters and placing my monsters to capitalize on that. I got slaughtered when all but one hero woke up immediately.

It's probably for the best that it works this way, though. Getting a turn of armor free hits (even if it's only once per hero) would be devastating, and at least this way it's a pretty rare occurrence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lundberg
Sweden
Skoghall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do it as this as well. Not that it matters much since the craven group of "heroes" almost always run away from encounters. Pff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
I'm a bit surprised by the way my players understand how an ambush works, It makes it weaker than I thought. Could you please confirm or infirm ?

One player is awake. The others get a sleep counter.
I place my monsters.
The players begin (that's the part I'm not sure of). They may immediately try to discard their counters.
That's in average two characters that may immediately react (one vigil and one awakened), so the ambush effect is nearly lost ; especially if one of the awake characters makes weakish attacks on his teammates to awaken them.

Anything wrong ?

As long as they are following the FAQ entries about attacking another hero then yes, you are playing it correctly. In RtL the rules for ambushes did not state that the OL goes first. In SoB they changed that. Personally, I'm tempted to house rule the SoB ambush rules into RtL to see what impact they have and measure if it's a better way to play them.

Tevildo wrote:
We do it as this as well. Not that it matters much since the craven group of "heroes" almost always run away from encounters. Pff.

Why are they running? Encounters tend to be a lot easier than dungeon levels when Lts are not involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lundberg
Sweden
Skoghall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Proto Persona wrote:
Why are they running? Encounters tend to be a lot easier than dungeon levels when Lts are not involved.

I told you: they are craven

Probably because they do not see the point in fighting since the reward for an ambush usually is rather weak. They have been fairly unlucky with their encounters as well, in all honesty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tevildo wrote:
Proto Persona wrote:

I told you: they are craven ;)

Probably because they do not see the point in fighting since the reward for an ambush usually is rather weak. They have been fairly unlucky with their encounters as well, in all honesty.

300 to 500 gold and 2 XP per hero is weak? You are a very lucky OL to have such a party of heroes. ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.