Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Shogi» Forums » General

Subject: Question about Quality of Pieces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Kwok
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if it would be better to get plastic pieces or wooden ones. I like the snapping sound Hidetchi has in his videos and I don't get that with my Daiso wooden set. Was also wondering if the single-character sets come in wood or plastic since my friends can't read the kanji too well on my current set and the single chaaracters would make it easy to read.

BTW: Those living around Sydney, do you know where I can get a nice single character set and for how much?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to think the wooden sets nicer but if you like the plastic ones, go for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kwok
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do the plastic sets tend to break more easily?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The wood board/plastic pieces set I picked up at the BGG.CON Flea Market has excellent plastic pieces; they have a bakelite feel to them with crisp, highly defined characters.



They make a nice sound when slapped on the board. I've dropped the pieces onto a porcelain tile floor with no ill effects. They seem very sturdy.

Gg

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kwok
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Gg, problem is, I don't live near BGG.CON But they do look real nice
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jskwok wrote:
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if it would be better to get plastic pieces or wooden ones. I like the snapping sound Hidetchi has in his videos and I don't get that with my Daiso wooden set. Was also wondering if the single-character sets come in wood or plastic since my friends can't read the kanji too well on my current set and the single chaaracters would make it easy to read.

BTW: Those living around Sydney, do you know where I can get a nice single character set and for how much?

Kinokuniya in the Galleries Victoria building sells plastic shogi pieces. They are in the Japanese stationery section, but stored in a glass cabinet built into the front of the help counter there. They also sell folding sets and travel sets.

I've never seen a single-character set anywhere in Australia or Japan, so I don't like your chances. You could probably get one custom made by a koma maker at great expense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Laing
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get the single character koma sets (Ichibori) for $US 190 (plus shipping and handling) here http://japanese-games-shop.com/horikoma.html.

I recently ordered the Hanayama Honkaku plastic set from the site (since I'm just starting out). If I ever get really into the game then I'll probably pick up some wooden gear from the same site. Although I'm more focused on improving my Go skills at the moment

Edit: The set I ordered arrived - 95% sure it has the same plastic pieces as pictured earlier in this thread - cost including delivery was around $US 40. Very happy with the purchase.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dave_au wrote:
I recently ordered the Hanayama Honkaku plastic set from the site (since I'm just starting out). If I ever get really into the game then I'll probably pick up some wooden gear from the same site. Although I'm more focused on improving my Go skills at the moment

Edit: The set I ordered arrived - 95% sure it has the same plastic pieces as pictured earlier in this thread - cost including delivery was around $US 40. Very happy with the purchase.

What are the dimensions of this board? For $20, I'm expecting something tiny like 20cm.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yellow Mountain Imports has recently offered what appears to be a playable entry-level wooden set with a paper board:

http://www.ymimports.com/p-970-shogi-japanese-chess-pieces.a...

There are several pictures and one that shows the dimensions of the set which appears to be about the same as the set pictured earlier in this thread. One could make a wooden board for these pieces and have something to be proud of.

Total cost: about 15 bucks to my neck of the woods.

Gg
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Laing
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
What are the dimensions of this board? For $20, I'm expecting something tiny like 20cm.


The set is at work, so I'll have to double check - I'd say it's around 30cm to a side, could be a little more or a little less.

Non-numerically, it looks around the same size as the board in the youtube "How to play Shogi" videos. I get the feeling that it it was significantly larger it'd be hard to use.

Edit: Just tracked down the dimensions from the manufacturers website: 367 mm × 292 mm × 40mm.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.