10 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Buying Phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Shaw
msg tools
Hi there!

I'm new to both BGG and Dominion and one thing has been bugging me about it.

It suggests that if a card gives you +1 buy, you can use that to collect an extra Copper.

Because Copper costs '0' does that mean I can also Buy one on my Buy Phase if my hand has no Treasure cards in?

I know it's a silly question, but there seems to be little clarification on it.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
You buy for all your buys during the buy phase (after all action cards are played)

If you have no coin during your buy phase, you can indeed just pick a copper, as they cost 0.

If you play an action card that gives you a +buy, that means you can buy 2 cards. If you have, say, 4 coin, you can buy one card for 4 and one for 0 (copper). Or, you can buy two cards for 2 coin each. Or one for 3, and one for 0. Or just take 2 copper.

Simply, for each +buy you are allowed to buy one extra card during the buy phase, and since copper costs 0, you can always use that extra buy to get a copper during the buy phase.

Please note that all cards bought ('gained') go directly to your discard pile. It's not that you get a copper directely when you play a card that gives you a +buy, and that you can use the copper immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Shaw
msg tools
Excellent, thank you!

From what I can tell I've played everything correctly though we only started picking up coppers after a re-read of the rulebook on our second game.

Tonight I'll be playing with 2 people who haven't played before, and my girlfriend who has played it with me for the past few days, so I want to make sure i've got everything correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You can also buy a curse (which is the same cost of copper ie 0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Brown
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempestora wrote:
Excellent, thank you!

From what I can tell I've played everything correctly though we only started picking up coppers after a re-read of the rulebook on our second game.

And then on the third game you will probably stop picking up coppers once you realise it is seldom a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperCoolMoss wrote:
You can also buy a curse (which is the same cost of copper ie 0).

And then on the third game you will probably stop picking up curses once you realize it is seldom a good idea.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempestora wrote:
Just so it's totally clear, you don't HAVE to spend all your money or use all your buys. If you have 1 buy and no treasure in your hand, you can just pass and not buy anything. This is usually the best idea, unless you're playing with Gardens. You usually don't want more Copper in your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why the game comes with so many copper cards when just about everyone agrees that buying additional copper is bad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
I wonder why the game comes with so many copper cards when just about everyone agrees that buying additional copper is bad...

The game comes with 60 copper, 40 silver nad 30 gold.

In a 4-player game, 28 copper starts in player's hands, so there's only 32 in the supply, which is less that silver. The goal was to give you enough treasure cards, so that running out those piles was rare.

The point isn't that you never want to buy copper. The point is that a common mistake of new players is thinking that buying copper in any situation is a good thing. In the situations where buying copper makes strategic sense, there are enough in the suppply to accomodate those situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Goldthorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
In a 4-player game, 28 copper starts in player's hands, so there's only 32 in the supply, which is less that silver. The goal was to give you enough treasure cards, so that running out those piles was rare.

More cards might have been included so that the most commonly used cards wouldn't wear quickly. I'll give the designers credit even if it isn't true .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.