Ad Astra» Forums » Variants

Subject: Starting Planets Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Playing a five player game last night, we came upon an unusual - and IMHO unbalanced - starting position, which fortunately has an easy solution.

We distribute the starting planets first, to avoid having to mix any alien planets back in to find a replacement. But by chance, we had three little rocks starting planets, one big rocks, and one gold. This meant a large early advantage for the players with the little rocks planets, as they were receiving far more early resources; not ideal for a economic growth game.

So in the future, I'll be using the following variant:

Take one planet of each resource type. Mix them, and place as many as there are players around the sun.

Mix the leftovers with the other planets, and distribute those planets as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
To true. We ran into that problem as well, and now we always play with that variant of one of each planet, choose #players, mix rest.

It was especially bad in a 3 player game where 2 players got the same resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Danielson
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play with that variant. Its a small change that seems to help all players feel like they are all on equal footing at the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chong Li
Brazil
flag msg tools
I played this variant yesterday, but IMHO it was more difficult for the player starting with energy (not me).

I believe, in a five players game using this variant, it's best to take out the energy resource of the initial possibility.

I also want to try start every player with the same resource (energy would be my choice)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Patten
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No, no, I'm fine. How are you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Chong wrote:
I played this variant yesterday, but IMHO it was more difficult for the player starting with energy (not me).

I believe, in a five players game using this variant, it's best to take out the energy resource of the initial possibility.

I also want to try start every player with the same resource (energy would be my choice)

My group's experience has been the opposite. The player starting with energy has a mobility advantage and an easy time trading for other resources. What did you find more difficult about it?

I also use this variant all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chong Li
Brazil
flag msg tools
Quote:

Quote:
Chong wrote:

My group's experience has been the opposite. The player starting with energy has a mobility advantage and an easy time trading for other resources. What did you find more difficult about it?

I also use this variant all the time.

I guess my gaming group isn't so fond of trading. The difficulty that the player starting with energy had was building anything after the first colony. Two players were competing for Terraformers the other two were competing for ships and systems. Energy guy tried the colony/factory approach, but had a hard time building colonies. The two players competing for Terraformers dominated the water and grain market, and they were unwilling to trade.

Later on we tried letting each player choose. Turned up the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre 113
Canada
flag msg tools
Here is a variant that allows using the Alien planet as a starting planet:

Starting Planets setup: Select all 7 planet types, and face down randomly pick as many as there are players.

If a player starts with Alien Planet, instead of naming it an "Alien Planet", it is named a "Research Planet". It just means that the player's home planet, instead of focusing on some type of production, focused on advanced science.

At the beginning of the game, the player starting with a Research Planet places 1 Alien Artifact Card face down near his research Planet, and scores 9 points, same as if he had put a Colony on an alien artifact planet and then upgraded it into an Industry.

In addition, only when one of the player's own Production cards is revealed, after the player chose which resource to produce, if the player cannot produce that resource, exactly one of the 2 following situation occurs:

If an alien artifact card or a resource card is near the research planet, the player takes the card.

If there is no card near the research planet, the player places face up near his research planet 1 resource of the type currently being produced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ackerman
United States
Palm Beach
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the OPs variant and have also seen issues with Energy as starting planet. I think removing Energy as a possible starting planet is too dilutive. I was thinking of either some type of bidding system to decide who gets the various start planets. Or maybe, to start, each player gives up his one home world resource card to the player that starts with energy (which seems a bit much in a 5 player game).

Any ideas welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.