Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ouch!

I have had this happen to me at least 100 times since I was a teenager. To be honest, I thought everybody's head periodically blew up in the middle of the night so I never mentioned it. To me it would have been like asking people if sometimes a bad smelling gas escaped from their anal region.

I guess I was wrong.

When my head explodes it's like a sudden loud noise, very similar to what you hear when an electrical transformer blows up. A shock accompanies the loud noise, as if I had been shocked in a very localized area, sans pain, and then I am awake and looking for the person who shocked me. Within 2 or 3 minutes I am back asleep, comforted by the knowledge that this has never happened twice in a night.

Anyone here also have their head explode periodically?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir, we would like to ask you a few questions. Have you ever had a feeling that you've been probed...anally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps no one has properly explained it to you, Tripp.

I suggest you google "Puberty".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup... I have experienced this a few times. The article suggests the eustachian tube but it certainly feels like it is in the brain and I have experienced it when not quite asleep yet. I do have sleep paralysis frequently (once to four times a month) and I have had both SP and the exploding head in the same night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Yup... I have experienced this a few times. The article suggests the eustachian tube but it certainly feels like it is in the brain

Definitely in the brain. Right smack in the middle. I'm not sure the phenomena "merits study" because it's just an odd thing that doesn't seem to affect health. But in a way it's kind of cool... not that I look forward to it, but it creates sort of a rush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
... it creates sort of a rush.

Yup. A very speedy rush like I only feel with this... not fear, excitement, elation, anxiety, etc. I described the after effect as "someone squeezed a lemon in my brain". It is most certainly a brain chemistry event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb

Only a lifetime of SP dreams for me so far but now that I've read about this, it's just a matter of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've maybe had this. Not the noise, but once in a while (maybe every few years) I'll suddenly pop awake totally alert. Not at all like waking normally. It's so sudden that I am always a little bit startled. Then I generally go back to sleep.

But there is no noise when it happens. Or if there is, it happens just before I spring to alertness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this is anywhere close to the same, but occasionally (usually when I'm not feeling well, but I've had it a few times otherwise), my brain goes into overdrive during the night, and I have very strange dreams that seem like my mind is doing a complex math puzzle, and I wake up several times. I don't "feel" hot, but at the same time it has a sensation like my brain is overclocking itself or something.

It sucks because I don't get much rest when that happens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
What!? No clip from "Scanners"?!

Fine, I'll do it:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is anywhere close to the same, but occasionally (usually when I'm not feeling well, but I've had it a few times otherwise), my brain goes into overdrive during the night, and I have very strange dreams that seem like my mind is doing a complex math puzzle, and I wake up several times. I don't "feel" hot, but at the same time it has a sensation like my brain is overclocking itself or something.

I've gotten this before but didn't quite know how to describe it. My mind would work itself to a headache while I am sleeping which makes me feel like I'm sick. There is no way to turn it off and you just have to suffer through it until you get out of bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The article does a good job of describing the event. I'll try and expand...

Imagine you're asleep, but not dreaming. Not in pain... just asleep. If someone were to, as an example, slam two boards together in the dark, that's similar to the sound. Except, it's right smack in the middle of your brain, unaccompanied by any dreams. Along with the sudden loud sound there is an almost electric quality to the experience... but you don't "feel" shock. Just the rush, probably adrenaline.

It's not the flying or falling dream experience and I've never personally been frightened by it. It's pretty freaky though. In my case I sit up and fairly quickly get oriented to where I am. Then it's back to sleep, content in the knowledge that it's all in my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Ouch!

I have had this happen to me at least 100 times since I was a teenager. To be honest, I thought everybody's head periodically blew up in the middle of the night so I never mentioned it. To me it would have been like asking people if sometimes a bad smelling gas escaped from their anal region.

I guess I was wrong.

When my head explodes it's like a sudden loud noise, very similar to what you hear when an electrical transformer blows up. A shock accompanies the loud noise, as if I had been shocked in a very localized area, sans pain, and then I am awake and looking for the person who shocked me. Within 2 or 3 minutes I am back asleep, comforted by the knowledge that this has never happened twice in a night.

Anyone here also have their head explode periodically?

I wouldn't be too worried. I have similar reactions to your RSP posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Very interesting. I've never experienced this. If I ever awaken abruptly, which is fairly rare, it's usually the result of an intense dream, often the falling dream. Of course, there is the occasional actual loud sound that can wake me up, like someone in my apartment building slamming a door loudly, or my telephone ringing. angry

DWTripp wrote:
To me it would have been like asking people if sometimes a bad smelling gas escaped from their anal region.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Just the rush, probably adrenaline.

I was thinking it was a different neurotransmitter. Adrenalin elevates respiration and heart rate quite a bit. I feel completely calm when this happens except for the initial shock... also, I have experienced the exact same sensations (not the explosion, but the after effect) but with much less intensity when I drank "smart drinks" (Nootropics) that contained choline, DMAE and high doses of B-vitamins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea what you're talking about. Now, I do have severe sleep apnea.

Before being treated by using a CPAP (Continuous Positive Air Pressure), I would sometimes wake in the middle of the night having felt my trachea close up slap tight. I would sit straight up and spend several minutes forcing air through my wind pipe until it opened up again - quite scary really.

Other than that, just had the falling dream wake up, Sleep Paralysis dream and occasional other type nightmare wake me. Never an "exploding head" thing - you're not related to Max Headroom are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb

I fairly frequently experience something that's just a bit different than what's being described here. It mostly happens just as I'm falling asleep, but I've had it happen in the middle of the day too: It's a similar kind of pop, or snap that happens in my head, followed immediately by what I can only call an internal ringing in my ears, which is clearly not actually in my ears at all. It's like white noise, cranked up to 11. Sometimes it's so loud and sudden that I flinch away as if I've been struck on the side of the head. That particular feature can be fairly embarrassing if I happen to be out and about when it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
DW, maybe this is what prompted you to post, but I ran across this not more than twenty minutes after reading your thread:

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/02/17/2204845.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I had this happen to me only once, about 15 years ago, but I remember it vividly.
It did sound like someone had slapped two boards together, or hit my front door with a baseball bat or something like that. I awoke startled, but quickly chalked it up to having been a dream, although I really hadn't been dreaming. In fact, I hadn't been deep asleep yet, but had apparently just dozed.

The article says this might be caused by extreme fatigue. At the time it happened to me, I had been doing 2.5 hour commutes (each way) to work for about a month, so I was definitely fatigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

I've gotten this before but didn't quite know how to describe it. My mind would work itself to a headache while I am sleeping which makes me feel like I'm sick. There is no way to turn it off and you just have to suffer through it until you get out of bed.

Yeah. The worst part is (at least for me), during the process through the night, I don't even realize that something is "wrong" - it's not until I get up the next morning not feeling well, with a headache, a "tired brain", and feeling generally exhausted, that I realize that my dreams were doing some funky stuff with my brain's CPU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I had been doing 2.5 hour commutes (each way) to work for about a month, so I was definitely fatigued.

It's not exactly clear from your post... Were you driving at the time you heard the noise? If so, it could have been the actually sound of boards snapping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
scribidinus wrote:
It's not exactly clear from your post... Were you driving at the time you heard the noise? If so, it could have been the actually sound of boards snapping.

Uhmm, there isn't anything unclear about my post.
Maybe you're fatigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Maybe you're fatigued.

That's a given.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I always miss the interesting threads?

This must be pretty common, because I notice a lot of movies use this as a transition: a character suddenly wakes up with a 'slam'. I've experienced this a few times, but not recently.

About once a year or so... just as I'm falling asleep...

I'll hear a soft whisper right in my ear. Usually of a person's name. It's *at the instant* I'm falling asleep, and I'm too out of it to turn my head and look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.