BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Help Me Spend My Money. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Ayers
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have cash (approx $80) from birthday gifts, and I want to buy a bigass game. I have been researching the heck out of this, reading forum reviews and looking at pictures of multiple games to try to decide what I should get.

Here is my general profile:
1. I can't spend a lot on games, so this is a significant purchase.
2. I am a married father of two small children, so game time is at a premium for me.
3. I think Magic: The Gathering might be one of the smartest games ever made. The richness of theme that comes through on nothing but cards is really amazing.
4. I have played D&D since I was in middle school, and I still love it. Role playing is fun, but I really like building characters and kitting them out and having that set up be persistent.
5. I think Advanced Squad Leader is a monumental work of game design, and I read the rulebook for enjoyment. Playing the game makes me feel like I am getting high.
6. I bought Carcassone and Settlers of Catan so that my wife would (finally) play games with me. I really like them both, but I always feel a little unsatisfied in the end. I want meatier themes.
7. I really want something with a fantasy theme.
8. I have been staring intently at Runewars for a day, and I cant get past the idea that the D&D player in me is going to feel a little let down by it.
9. Same with the Descent and other Rune series games.
10. I am a fledgling game designer, so I love reading massive rulebooks.
11. While I love reading massive rulebooks, my gaming circle does not like ASL or games of its ilk (massive rulebooks and rulesets that only grogs can enjoy), so I do not want to buy a game that will alienate them.
12. My gaming group consists of 5 of us, but on average only 3-4 are available at any given time. If we have a full turnout we run our D&D campaign. This game would occupy the other nights with a lesser turnout.

In summary, looking for a big fantasy-themed game for 3-4 players that is meatier than the typical eurogame but less complex than ASL.

Right now, I think Runewars is in the lead, but I am having trouble committing. Any other recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You want a fantasy-themed wargame or an adventure game/dungeon crawler?

For 3-4 players, Runebound is a pretty good fantasy boardgame. It has lots of expansions and home-brew modifications for variety. For $80 you could get the basic set and a big box expansion from an online discounter. Sands of Al-Kalim seems to be rated the highest.

Good luck,

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Fassnacht II
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well 2 games that come to mind are Arkham Horror and Fury of Dracula. I know they are not exactly in the games your looking for but are fun and can be found for way cheaper then your budget. the rule books are a good size too. I think your group would enjoy both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Ofcourse I will recommend a game I own (wouldn't do you any good if I recommend a game I don't know)..So just for what it's worth.

Dune

Why: It's a Science Fiction theme (or fantasy as some will suggest)

It's a heavy game, but without the massive rulebooks as in ASL and the likes, so perhaps with a bit of convincing less die-hard gamers will play with you (my girl does play it now and then).

This game is best with 6 (max) player, but it a bit more forgiving if you play with 3 or 4 player, so perfect for those game nights when you don't want to break your head over your next move for 30min.

A quite comprihensive site on Dune tactics can be found on:
http://www.starbasejeff.com/dune_main.asp

Good luck with your choice.
Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll advise you to spend 20$ more, and buy at an online retailer that offers free shipping, such as coolstuffinc.com
This way, instead of paying some of this money for shipping, you'll be able to sink every $ into games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
I'll advise you to spend 20$ more, and buy at an online retailer that offers free shipping, such as coolstuffinc.com
This way, instead of paying some of this money for shipping, you'll be able to sink every $ into games.

Or at Twister Comics, which is running a sale for any game in print at 25% off with free shipping, no minimum. See the Deals forum for details.

I think you should also look into downloading Realmspeak and assorted Magic Realm manuals (Google all this) and teach yourself to play. Not ideal, but I've found it can scratch a fantasy-gaming itch when no one else wants to play. (Plus you can play it networked online, so there's that.) And if you want a huge evil ruleset, MR literally wrote the book on it.

And of course, buy an actual cardboard and paper game too--I just think Realmspeak might be a nice secondary addition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sinclair
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about who you might play with, but I would think War of the Ring (First Edition) might fit nicely into satisfying your need for a meaty game. Rulebook plus errata/faqs/forums could provide hours and hours of choice reading material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give the Descent family a go. It works pretty well with 3-4 players.

This with all the expansions should give you a pretty rich experience. If you add Road to Legend/Sea of Blood, you can even have your persistent characters.

EDIT - Just noted your $80 upper bounds. The base box should fit in that. You may find that you'll want the expansions fairly quickly, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Santangelo
Argentina
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upvote for Arkham Horror, with $80 you could get the base game and the 1st expac, Dunwich Horror... that´s enough to last you a long time!

It has a big manual you´ll enjoy, but it´s relatively simple to teach (to a crowd of well-seasoned DnD players, at least), the theme is GREAT, the game´s hard (moreso with xpac)

Descent is also nice. Think of it as "DnD without the roleplaying"; it might sound weird, but a good kick-in-the-door dungeoncrawl once in a while is always nice, imo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Fantasy Flight Games would be a great place to look, if you haven't looked at their full line up.

My first though was Descent: Journeys in the Dark but you know about that one. I haven't played it but have read the rules. I recommend you give it a second look.

Also
Prophecy
Middle-Earth Quest

Some out of print games to check out:
Middle-earth
Magic Realm

See the BGG fantasy page
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1010/fantasy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ayers
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only objection to Descent is that it seems like D&D's little brother, and if we want to play a crawl, D&D can do that.

I notice that no one is recommending Runewars. Is that coincidence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh.....I thought you were going to take me out drinking or something. Nevermind. I`m out of here then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argamemnon wrote:
My only objection to Descent is that it seems like D&D's little brother, and if we want to play a crawl, D&D can do that.

In a way, you're right, it's hard to shake the impression that Descent is somehow supposed to be an RPG.
It's not though, the problem however is that many people have a problem seeing Descent for what it is (Read: NOT an RPG), as opposed to what it looks like (A light RPG).
I'd advise you to stay far away from Descent, it's one of my favourite games, but it's most likely not for you, and if your entire group is used to RPGs it's almost certain that one or two of you will feel that it's missing something.

Runebound is an OK game, best played solitaire with some modifications or with two players, but it's nothing I'd consider for a "significant" purchase, with 4 players it'll likely bore you out of your mind.

Runewars, can't really tell one way or the other, considering I still don't have it.

I'd go either with Chaos in the Old World, but that's because it's kind of my darling of the moment (It does however fit all your requirements except for the massive rulebook, and you'd still have money left), or with Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), but that's sci-fi, not fantasy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent can look like D&D lite, but in terms of play and strategy, it's different enough to be its own game. It is more of a tactical strategy game than D&D, and if you play it like you would play d&D you may have a hard time.

I think most people just haven't played Runewars yet. If skeletor was still here, he'd probably have a lot to say about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Starcraft?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
Descent can look like D&D lite, but in terms of play and strategy, it's different enough to be its own game. It is more of a tactical strategy game than D&D, and if you play it like you would play d&D you may have a hard time.

I think most people just haven't played Runewars yet. If skeletor was still here, he'd probably have a lot to say about it.

Even though, the kids these days play their D&D with grids and figurines and stuff. In my day, we just had a character sheet and our imagination. And we liked it, by gum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been said already, but I'll repeat that you're looking for Magic Realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I defineity agree with other posters that Arkham Horror would be a good choice. It's one of the best purchases that I've made. I'm currently saving up for a couple of expansions. It sounds like it's up your alley - heavy themed, somewhat thick rulebook, works well with 3 or 4 players, and with $80 you could pick up the base game plus an expansion or two. Dune sounds like it would suit your tastes but it requires more than 3 or 4 players to hit the 'sweet' spot.

Not too long ago I looked into several fantasy-themed games such as Runebound, Return of the Heroes, Talisman, Prophecy and Descent. I've played both Talisman and Runebound and did not enjoy either of them. IMHO Talisman has a frustrating movement system and the characters are unbalanced detrimentally.yuk Runebound also had a somewhat frustrating movement system, downtown between turns was painful due to a complex combat system, very long game time, and its theme was not very rich.snore I purchased Return of the Heroes (& the first expansion - Under the Shadow of the Dragon) and am quite happy with them. The game has a modular board, good movement system, simple combat system, is easy to learn and teach, plays in about 2 hours for 4 players and is fun. Prophecy also looked good and is cheap (about $25). It has an expansion due out this spring. Descent IMHO was to close to an actual RPG, which I wasn't looking for. I hear good things about War of the Ring too.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ayers
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakal323 wrote:
ze_stom wrote:

Even though, the kids these days play their D&D with grids and figurines and stuff. In my day, we just had a character sheet and our imagination. And we liked it, by gum!

They're not figurines, they're MINIATURES!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argamemnon wrote:
jakal323 wrote:
ze_stom wrote:

They're not figurines, they're MINIATURES!!!

At least I didn't say the 'D' word.

Ol' Joe is one pastel shirt & and lime green short shorts accessory set away from being Ken, I'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.