Aaron Mitchell
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not talking about your mom.

I'm looking for a game that's relatively easy to get into, simple streamlined rules, yet high in depth and replayability and just plain fun.

Out of the top ten, I think a really good example of this would be El Grande. The rules are quite easy to learn and the hardest part is probably learning the action cards. The actions are quite straight forward however. It also has a nice depth to it and is always fun. I feel Agricola and Puerto Rico are a bit more complex in their rules and harder to get into. Dominion I think is a bit shallow. Some other good examples outside the top ten for me are Tichu, and maybe Stone Age, though SA may be walking a shallow line. I know there are a lot of easier games out there where there are many special powers to learn before you have a grasp on the game. Not what I'm looking for either.

I mainly want a Euro game that plays 2-6 (open to other suggestions however), and I don't really care how long it is or the mechanics themselves. What's your favorite Easy/Deep/Fun game and why?

Thanks All
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try a train game. Railways of the World is a great game and is of the exact complexity you are looking for. Railways of the World is the name of the new edition, but it is the exact same game apart from new (and some say better) maps. The only problem I can see is that I do not know how well it plays with two, I would expect it to be better with more (have only played it with 5 or 6). Steam I haven't played, but the basic Steam could also work for you. There are two player maps to be bought for Steam, so this game should work nicely for two.

If you do not mind a slightly dry game, Notre Dame is another suggestion. Slightly meatier than Stone Age, plays well with two. Only 2-5 players though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Mitchell
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
You should try a train game. Railways of the World is a great game and is of the exact complexity you are looking for. Railways of the World is the name of the new edition, but it is the exact same game apart from new (and some say better) maps. The only problem I can see is that I do not know how well it plays with two, I would expect it to be better with more (have only played it with 5 or 6). Steam I haven't played, but the basic Steam could also work for you. There are two player maps to be bought for Steam, so this game should work nicely for two.

If you do not mind a slightly dry game, Notre Dame is another suggestion. Slightly meatier than Stone Age, plays well with two. Only 2-5 players though.

You know, I've been thinking about getting a Wallace train game too. The fact that it may not play two doesn't bug me that much. That's just the range I'm looking for. 3 to 6 is probably my preferred range. What about Chicago Express, is that any good within my preferences? I'll look into Notre Dame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Chicago Express is a good fit. Very simple rules, but the strategy is quite opaque. It's based around a series of auctions, so if auctions aren't your thing, then probably skip it. The box says 2-6, but from most reports (though I haven't tried) 2 doesn't work well, and 6 is probably a little much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I think Chicago Express is a good fit. Very simple rules, but the strategy is quite opaque. It's based around a series of auctions, so if auctions aren't your thing, then probably skip it. The box says 2-6, but from most reports (though I haven't tried) 2 doesn't work well, and 6 is probably a little much.

I agree. Completely forgot about Chicago express. I have played it once with three players and enjoyed it much more than I thought I would (not an auction game fan and don't really enjoy player driven economies). Simple rules, was great with 3 players and I imagine even better with more.

And I would pick Railways of the World over Steam if the two player option is not that important. I have a feeling it is more forgiving, and there are more pretty bits, and just fits your criteria better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Easy and deep are fairly contradictory aspects in a game.

My first thought is Go but you want a eurogame. And Go has simple rules but a learning curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railroad Tycoon was exactly what I was thinking too. I have the Railroad Tycoon version so the board is three separate pieces (not sure if that's the case with the Railways of the World version board.) My wife and I play two player using just the middle board and it works great - just ignore any cards that refer to cities not on that board. Railroad Tycoon is one of my 10's, and probably the easiest, yet deepest game I rate so highly. Most of all, it's fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry k
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm looking for the same thing. I just tried Hive out last night, and liked it. I was impressed with how easy it was to learn. A 10-minute practice game was all it took. I'll have to see if it lasts.

Because I usually end up playing with at least one new person, I'm always looking for games that hold up to repeated plays, but aren't completely bewildering on the first play. It's hard to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Steck
United States
Benton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it's as deep as you're looking for, but Infinite City is very simple to learn (all the rules are on the tiles themselves), plays 2-6 equally well, and involves a fair amount of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piece o' Cake
You can go crazy about depth in this thing (if he takes this then he'll have this many points here then he'll leave that for me, etc), or just play it as a 10 minute filler. Its absurdly easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Mitchell
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Easy and deep are fairly contradictory aspects in a game.

My first thought is Go but you want a eurogame. And Go has simple rules but a learning curve.

Actually Go is a great example as well. Great game, I forgot to use it as another example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

The OP might have "fun" looking through these "simple" rules.

Here are some real recommendations:
Attika: Pretty simple, some luck, pretty deep for a euro (actually, I'm hard pressed to think of a deeper euro), but does not scale well at all.

Ra: Very simple (well, scoring will be weird the first time only), but some hard, interesting decisions. Scales 2-5 nicely.

Le Havre: Bit unintuitive, as it looks complicated, but there's really very little overhead (the buy/build thing is the only sticky part of the rules). Pretty deep. Doesn't go to 6p, though.

Medici: Hits most of your buttons, but I don't think it works for 2p (?). Tough range. I'd recommend Modern Art, too, in a similar vein.

Carcassonne: More depth than most here give it credit for, at least for 2p and 3p. Certainly simple and scalable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire
Top Race
Endeavor
Peloponnes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christine Biancheria wrote:
Top Race

Ooh, yeah, forgot that one. I don't think it's deep at all, actually, but it fakes it pretty well. Certainly nails the fun and simple part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor and Race for the Galaxy are pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Endeavor and Race for the Galaxy are pretty awesome.

Race is the opposite of easy to get into.

While I don't think Dominion is shallow, at least no more than Tichu, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

How about Tobago?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
I'm not familiar with the much-discussed CHICAGO EXPRESS, but I'd back STEAM's base game as being exactly what you're looking for.

I'd also strongly recommend Roads & Boats, Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India, Chang Cheng, Attika and The Bridges of Shangri-La - when I think of powerfully deep games with startlingly simple rules, these are what come to mind.

But if you think of EL GRANDE as simple, definitely look at Shogun and/or its sister game Wallenstein (first edition) - they're right around that level with some very interesting challenges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These are the 3 same criteria that I look for in games.

Some of my favs in that category apart from El Grande are the Princes of Florence, Le Havre, Chicago Express, and perhaps Hansa Teutonica (Endeavor is easier as the scoring possibilities for HT can be a little overwhelming, but IMO it's deeper and more fun for sure).

Ra is an easy game to pick up that has the push-your-luck fun aspect but it is of a slighter lighter weight, prob similar to Dominion.

My top recommendation is definitely Princes of Florence though. It's deep yet accessible to non-gamers because of the simplicity of the rules. You basically have 2 buy phases each round, one via auction, other via 2 actions (which can be used to produce works too). With El Grande, it has served as my preferred gateway to heavier Euros. Too bad they both only play well with 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Credit to David J. Kelly
badge
This image is not mine – message me if you know who made it!
mbmbmbmbmb
The solution to all your problems... and the answer to all your prayers.
Yomi is the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express. Great game!

Samurai is also a very easy game with nice depth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chua
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
Chicago Express. Great game!

Samurai is also a very easy game with nice depth.

I have often wondered about Samurai myself. Just concerned that the abstract nature of the game would compromise on the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools

What my playgroups have found annoying about SAMURAI is the scoring system - there's really no way to tell who's winning until scoring occurs, and it often winds up so different from what anyone thought it feels almost random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.