Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband will be going to Venlo for work in early April. Are there are any game stores nearby? I don't think he will have a car while he's there. Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont know about Venlo, but Nijmegen (45 min drive) has
http://www.moenen-en-mariken.nl/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Kolkman
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you can get there by train, from Venlo (about 1,5 hours ride)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Eindhoven is another option. See this thread (in Dutch, alas): http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/172204/spellenwinkels-in...

Eppo and Jolie are your best bets. Both rather expensive, though. Jolie is near the station. Train from Venlo to Eindhoven takes 41 minutes.

Venlo is bordering on Germany, where there is much more of a boardgame culture. Department stores like Kaufhof had a broad range of good games for low prices. I don't know which German cities are within range from Venlo by public transport, though. Still, interesting option to explore.

Edit: The train ride from Venlo to Nijmegen takes 52 minutes, according to the site of the National Dutch Railways, www.ns.nl - rather less than the one and a half hours claimed earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, there are just a few good game stores in the Netherlands. As Whymme suggested, you can cross the border, and you may find nice stores in Germany. However, these usually only sell games in the German language.

I recommend your husband, if he has the time, visits Utrecht. Utrecht is in the heart of the country (probably about 90 minutes from Venlo by train). It is a very nice city to visit. On the Oude Gracht (in the centre of town, about 10 minutes walk from the train station), there are at one spot three very good board game stores in a row. One specializes in new games (NeverNeverland, Oude Gracht 202), one in second-hand games, and the third is a mix. You can easily spend several hours there.

And if he is in Venlo and wants to play, let him contact Slimbo, the Limburg game club. He is welcome to join one of our sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record: I live in Venlo and it has no games shops.

The only sources for games are toy stores &such, which feature the regular Settlers of Catan, Agricola, Monopoly, Risk, Axis&Allies variants. The biggest is Intertoys, in the city center. For a preview of what games it has in store, check this out: http://www.intertoys.nl/speelgoed/spellen

As you can see, if I myself am looking for something special, I'll go to Utrecht.

If you need any more Venlo info prior to April, just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
And if he is in Venlo and wants to play, let him contact Slimbo, the Limburg game club. He is welcome to join one of our sessions.

Given the distance and rail connections from Venlo to Sittard, Maastricht and Brunssum (the places where Slimbo usually plays), Roll the Dice in Eindhoven might be a better option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Kolkman
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, given the distance, to Nijmegen, for Casus Belli: http://www.casusbelli.nl/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for all the replies! Utrecht sounds nice, but I'm not sure he'll have the time to go. Also, thanks for the invitation to play games. Not sure if he'll have time for that either, but I'll pass the info along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht is too far for too little gain (I know the shops there) try Düsseldorf instead:

Mage Gamestore, Graf Adolfstrasse 41 in Düsseldorf.

http://www.magestore.de/

Tolle Laden, tolle Inhaber, über 1000 Spiele.

Highly recommended to drive a bit further for a perfect blend of Euro, War and Role play games. Absolutely worth a visit!

PS: I am not the owner :-)

Alternatively try the tiny shop in Moers has a LOT of games as well (here on BBG under 'DerDiplomat'):

Headquarter Comics & Spiele
Inh.: Carsten Reuter
Josefstr. 27-29
47441 Moers
Germany

Tel.: 02841/395523
Email: Headquarter_Moers[AT]hotmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.