Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Night of the demons (1) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
The first dungeon was naturally at Starfall Forest. My players having just had a devastating experience of being trounced from the very start (well, not devastating for everybody : one of them was the OL), I decided not to give them a hard time in their first two levels ; while the second one was easy (# 16, with a manticore, very short distance), the first one (# 35 IIRC, also with a manticore, who uses secret passages) was more problematic, with its cat-and-mouse ability ; I decided not to use it.
Thereafter came # 34, a fun game with a sorcerer who’s able to move pits.

Welle, perhgaps I should have striven a bit more, because from the moment I put on my evil shoes, all went wrong : the Aimed Dark Chram got a blank face, my treachery card never came (which solves the problem that perhaps I wans’t allowed to have it), my Raging manticore missed three out of four attacks, I misplayed the Crushing Block and we most probably miscounted damage, letting Jaes escape the final level with 1 hp remaining.

So they scored 21 XP (3 bosses, 1 main boss, 3 glyphs, 1 point for the dungeon and 1 for a chest), to my miserable 9 (I killed a simian Jaes, and Hawthorne, who had so many poison tokens that he decided to go forward and draw fire to protect the others).
Surely that’s unusual. BTA they’re a strong party.

They had enough XP and money to buy a cathedral, then a black die for three of them (Jaes was in said cathedral), the ring of protection, two other copper items (Crystal Shield and Axe of Returning, both for Tobin) to add to Jaes’ Pacify Rune and Staff of Punishment and several potions.
Tobin also had been to the tavern, where he had arrived in the middle of Derafin’s mourning. The associated rumour, however, left them half-cold. But Jaes should have known that one hp can make a difference ...

With my meagre 10 XP (owing to one elapsed week), I just bought Focusing, ditching two Kobold and two Dodge cards. Meanwhile, Alric began besieging Nerekhall. With Nerekhall, Greyhaven and Tamalir so close to eachother, and Shadows making attacks against lieutenants rather risky, a creeping strategy is possible, buying Kar-Amag-Atoth just in time to make him replace Alric as a besieger in order to get the extra XPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which treachery card are you not supposed to have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merrimac wrote:
With my meagre 10 XP (owing to one elapsed week), I just bought Focusing, ditching two Kobold and two Dodge cards.

Ack! You should have saved them until you could get your first monster upgrade, especially if you have a tough hero-group. You're not going to be able to do much until you get some Silver critters on the board...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Merrimac wrote:
With my meagre 10 XP (owing to one elapsed week), I just bought Focusing, ditching two Kobold and two Dodge cards.

Ack! You should have saved them until you could get your first monster upgrade, especially if you have a tough hero-group. You're not going to be able to do much until you get some Silver critters on the board...

-shnar

You threw out kobold spawns, the only creature with the trickster ability? Are you mad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woa, and Dodge cards, those are pretty useful too. I can understand the Kobolds (some overlords don't know how to play traps very well, and so just don't play traps. I'm guilty of that sometimes, though I'm getting better ).

I would have ditched Spider spawns or that Medusa one (she isn't very good, at least the times I've played her). Plus, the Door traps aren't super useful, since usually the only door is the last one which is usually only opened when pretty much everything has been cleared out...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see ditching the kobolds. I usually burn the trap cards for threat anyway. Spawning kobolds without specializing in traps seems like a waste of 19 threat to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Shnar is right by saying that the Medusa is weak, but we didn't play with ToI at that time ; I'll ask them permission to keep one Kobold card and ditch the Medusa.
However, that's a 2-point card rather than 1-point.

The porblem is that the 2 major kobolds are very easy to kill and are also worth 100 gold to them.

I'll focus on spawning Eldritch monsters, Apes and Beastmen anyway.

I'll have no enhanced traps (too costly for this avatar), so Trickster isn't that powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
bohemian wrote:
Which treachery card are you not supposed to have?

It appeared from responses on this forum that I couldn't take treachery as preliminary enhancement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean your starting 15XP spending points? That's correct, you cannot buy Treachery with those points. Nor can you buy Lt's. You can only buy Avatar Upgrade cards.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.