Richard Prieto
msg tools
From the article:
Quote:
Board games are already experiencing a renaissance as they move from the tabletop to the desktop (think Lexulous and Scrabble), but researchers from Canada's Queen's University are trying to further advance the ol' board game with a technology that essentially turns each piece into a graphics-saturated mini-display, thus merging the tangible aspects of board games with software-generated action normally seen in strategy games such as World of Warcraft.

rest of article http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10441005-1.html.

Some information RE: the video at the bottom of the article. The demonstration is using a technology called "front projected fiducial recognition". This is a form of multi touch computing. A camera placed above the table sends tracking data to the computer telling it the location and orientation of each tile. An image is then projected down onto each tile.

This is pretty basic technology used in a number of different applications such as interactive dance floors, projected architectural plans, etc. The white paper linked in the article also discusses a different technology that they anticipate in the future which is making the tiles out of flexible OLED displays instead of using projected images. I mention this in case anyone is confused. The video is a "proof of concept" using a projector, but the technology would ultimately be small OLED displays.

BTW, this kind of stuff that really fascinates me because I own a company that builds multitouch computers. We use a different display technology than what's presented here, but there are a lot of similarities. I'm aware of other MT developers who are working on miniature/RPG style games for MT but, as you've probably guessed, these are primarily for demonstration purposes since a small MT setup starts at $5K and goes up from there. I'm excited about the possibilities for the future however and am always on the lookout for the next MT application.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Digital game piece link.

Must be Tuesday already...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The projection stuff is stupid. Who wants to play in a dark room so he can see some tiles? Who wants to buy such a projector simply to play board games that look even better when using a normal PC or console? Complete waste of resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Z.
United States
California
flag msg tools
Harlekin wrote:
The projection stuff is stupid. Who wants to play in a dark room so he can see some tiles? Who wants to buy such a projector simply to play board games that look even better when using a normal PC or console? Complete waste of resources.

The original poster wrote that the projector was used to prove that it can be done. They are working on having the tiles without the projector. I think it's really neat. One set of tiles like this could be used to play dozens of different games if programmed to display different things for each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why should you pay for such pieces which are restricting your possibilites (because of size, number, quality, power source, shape) and are most likely to be damaged somehow if you can buy something like the multitouch table from Microsoft which will most likely be cheaper and offer a wider range of possibilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea of a 2D 'screen' or surface is a bit of 'paradigm mindset' that many people don't see past. I think they're merely trying to explore what's possible beyond that limitation. "What if the menu were actually on your plate rather than on the table" type of stuff. What you're pointing out is valid, but I'm sure there are things that are only possible by breaking that paradigm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.