Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Adding generic player aids to the database? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
While sorting through a box of old gaming odds and ends I ran across an item I had completely forgotten about. It’s a player aid to speed up combat for the old SPI and AH-style wargames. I think it could be useful for the folks who still play those, so I would like to add it to the database, if it’s not already there.

Problem is, there doesn’t seem to be a way to add a player aid that is not specifically designed for a particular game. BGG is full of helpful suggestions on adding content, including player aids, but they all start with "Go to the page for that game..." and this item is not associated with any single game.

So, two questions:
1) How do you find generic, i.e. non-game specific, player aids (if any others exist); and
2) How and where do I add a listing for such a generic game item, its creators, and its publisher?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be a Miscellaneous Game Accessory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:

While that might be true, no one will ever find it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
timstellmach wrote:

I'm afraid you're right. I poked around that section for a while, and realized that what I really need is a "Miscellaneous Wargame Accessory" section. Even there it might not stand out....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
timstellmach wrote:

Perhaps put it there and then put a few links to the file in the more popular appropriate game forums?
Here's the SPI publisher forum:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/120/spi-simu...-

Alternatively, you may be able to upload the file to several of the SPI file pages, just note that its a file that works with several games?

I dunno, just a couple thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can create your own version of it, create the "wargame 1 player aid" then the "wargame 2 player aid"--as many as you want. Just put something on it that makes it for a specific game, even if it's just a label. Once you do that, others may take the aid and spread it. That way it will be able to be found fairly easily, especially if you hit the most popular SPI/AH games you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't specific enough in my description: It's not a file, it's a pair of devices made from cardstock called "Combat Calculators". The copyright date on them is 1974. I can't find a listing here on BGG for the publisher (Game Science Corp.) so I strongly suspect these guys made a few hundred of them and distributed them around the country, and then promptly went out of business and the devices were forgotten. It's been 36 years so I suspect the items are now in public domain, although IANAL.

I will do my best to take some good, close-up photos so players can build their own as a DIY project, then try linking the files to a bunch of the old SPI/AH games, as was suggested.

(Edit: I did find an eBay listing for a "1968 Game Science Corp Battle of Britain board game", which may or may not be the same company.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
What you could it is add it to all API SH games here, as a (pdf, ideally) file. Or, as a file to the Misc games access., and then a link in the wiki of each wargame to it? I know, not ideal, but maybe a start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
...It's been 36 years so I suspect the items are now in public domain, although IANAL.

Not even close:

If it's an odds calculator, you might be able to make one of those as a nomogram--essentially, a graph that can do simple math.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
If you upload it to MGA as recommended above and advertise it a bit.

If it is useful it will get some thumbs and therefore not get buried.

(I, for one, always search through files sorted by thumb count)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

If it's an odds calculator, you might be able to make one of those as a nomogram -- essentially, a graph that can do simple math.

Actually, it's supposed to replace the standard CRTs that were ubiquitous back then.

GeneSteeler wrote:

If you upload it to MGA as recommended above and advertise it a bit.

If it is useful it will get some thumbs and therefore not get buried.

(I, for one, always search through files sorted by thumb count)

I think that's what I'll do. Perhaps in the future, if there is enough interest (thumbs) I'll figure out a way to do a DIY version, and post that with some pictures.

Now to find some batteries for my camera.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.