Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think we'll see one anytime soon, or is it even necessary?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hill
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not really sure what they would do for the expansion but I would welcome one if they did make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Wehneman
United States
Blue Ash
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More heroes, more quests for new and existing heroes, and more missions could be easily added without affecting the game mechanics.

Those to me are the areas most in need of expansion (although the base game is excellent as-is).

- Neil Wehneman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would most likely be a fairly small expansion. Possibly some new events? New Secret missions? New Minions? New Heroes? New Quests for existing Heroes as well? Maybe Tom Bombadil could be added a character? With some events that pertain to him?

I am not sure if any of these would really add that much to the game. It seems nearly complete to me as it is. They are somewhat limited by the LOTR setting. Although I really like it as it is now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:
It would most likely be a fairly small expansion. Possibly some new events? New Secret missions? New Minions? New Heroes? New Quests for existing Heroes as well?

All of these. And more Encounter cards as well.

Also, I think getting Quest-type stuff for Sauron's minions might be nice, giving the heroes more incentive to tackle the Minions, not just the Kill Minions Mission, while also giving Sauron the choice between defending his Plots with Minions or going for the Minion-Quests and defending Plots with monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, maybe some plots that are Minion specific? Or missions that are besides the Ringwraiths in the Shire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hector131 wrote:
Hmmm, maybe some plots that are Minion specific?

What, "Dark Messenger" not enough ? Arguably the worst Plot in the game. Only good thing about it is the 5 Favor cost to discard, otherwise yuk : hard to get into play, moves Black token only 1 space. Has mini-synergy with "Lord of the Rings" Shadow Card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see the "fight" ending addressed -- the final battle between a hero champion and the ringwraiths is kind of lame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:
I don't think the missions are off-balanced a lot, but they are a little... There's also a combination of what the Heroes and Sauron missions are, i.e. they could both be relatively easy, both relatively hard, or one hard and one easy, in which case there may be an unbalance.

However, the tougher missions seem to be on Sauron's side, especially the Shire one of course, and he does have an advantage in the endgame if the Heroes don't complete theirs. The Ringwraiths are difficult to beat with a hero who has to start with a new hand of combat cards.

I wonder if all players note this rule, the hero "resets" his or her hand of combat cards in the steps leading up to the final battle, giving the Sauron player an advantage. And I think that's the way it was designed to be, i.e. if it does come to a final battle with the Nazgul, Sauron has the upper hand.

The heroes have the nigh impossible missions though. The moster token one is impossible to stop, and the minion one is quite difficult. The corruption one is also more difficult than any of Saurons. The quest one can be easy or hard, depends on what and how many heroes. The 5 favor one is insanely easy.

Most of Saurons are of average difficulty (assuming average draws), with only one really being a tough one (three active plots). The shire mission isn't that difficult; you want to chain there at some point for "Shire, Baggins" which will set up either the event or "they are terrible" for a teleport of the RWs. I've also done a Jailbreak rush of the wraiths to the shire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Heino
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Elgar wrote:

The heroes have the nigh impossible missions though. The moster token one is impossible to stop, and the minion one is quite difficult. The corruption one is also more difficult than any of Saurons. The quest one can be easy or hard, depends on what and how many heroes. The 5 favor one is insanely easy.

Most of Saurons are of average difficulty (assuming average draws), with only one really being a tough one (three active plots). The shire mission isn't that difficult; you want to chain there at some point for "Shire, Baggins" which will set up either the event or "they are terrible" for a teleport of the RWs. I've also done a Jailbreak rush of the wraiths to the shire.

Playing Sauron, I was recently beaten by heroes completing the monster token mission. The point is that they managed to keep their mission hidden to me to the very end - having only two action per turn (three-player game) there simply wasn't enough actions to counter every one of possible hero missions from succeeding (I had two tokens in difficult places but they managed to remove the third one on their final turn).

Because of Sauron's limited resources even this quest is very much possible to accomplish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaolhe wrote:
Elgar wrote:

Playing Sauron, I was recently beaten by heroes completing the monster token mission. The point is that they managed to keep their mission hidden to me to the very end - having only two action per turn (three-player game) there simply wasn't enough actions to counter every one of possible hero missions from succeeding (I had two tokens in difficult places but they managed to remove the third one on their final turn).

Because of Sauron's limited resources even this quest is very much possible to accomplish.

Fair enough. For clarity, let me rephrase. Sauron can make the moster token mission impossible. I'll agree that if Sauron is distracted (has better things to do, figures it isn't their mission so why bother, etc), it isn't necessarily impossible. However, it is very easy for Sauron to stymie this mission, so why not.

Obviously, the heores want to keep their mission secret, but there comes a time (generally 2nd or 3rd last turn) when you need to cover missions, especially if it looks like you are behind. Hide X monsters\ minions in perilous locations. Use other resources to make other missions difficult. A competent Sauron needs to plan 2-3 turns in advance, so he should be able to deny both of these missions (given he hasn't lost 3 minions yet)

The relative difficulty of the monster and minion missions are incredibly high. The facor one is incredibly low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Davison
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Middle Aged Mutant Lit Major Turtle
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceGhost wrote:
I would like to see the "fight" ending addressed -- the final battle between a hero champion and the ringwraiths is kind of lame.

I really hope they fix this in the expansion as well. I don't like how, for a game rich with theme, the end battle has no context. Where is this fight happening? Why is it happening? Why is only one Hero participating? Maybe the end conflict could be tied to an active plot, Minion, or Sauron's secret objective. (brain storm commencing) If Sauron qualifies for the "To Rule Them All" objective, the heroes elect one of their members to fight Gothmog and the remaining heroes then have to fight an orc. Any orc not defeated gives a strength bonus to Gothmog. Or something like that. Anything to involve all the heroes and tie the final battle to what's happening on the board.

Also, I hope that Tom Bombadil shows up in an expansion as a playable character. For quests I'm thinking "Starting Quest: Obtain water lilies for Goldberry" followed by "Advanced Quest: Explain origins".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Luscious Willard wrote:
SpaceGhost wrote:

I really hope they fix this in the expansion as well. I don't like how, for a game rich with theme, the end battle has no context.

I'm pretty sure we'll see an expansion, and I'm pretty sure it will alter this end-game.

At the same time, I find the battle ending to be highly thematic, although I admit it's weak on context.

The game is basically a tie, and the books are about to unfold as-written...but only if the heroes can hold off the Nazgul for a little while to allow Frodo et al to escape the Shire. Makes perfect sense, plot-wise.

As you say, though, the context could be improved. This battle has a tacked-on feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Luscious Willard wrote:
Also, I hope that Tom Bombadil shows up in an expansion as a playable character. For quests I'm thinking "Starting Quest: Obtain water lilies for Goldberry" followed by "Advanced Quest: Explain origins".

Starts with "Bright Blue Jacket" and "Yellow Boots". Also: all his songs are stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. S.
Germany
Nidderau
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would vote for plots for the heroes to place. +2 steps always on the track is boring. But I would limit it to just one plot, not three.

But the most important part for an expansion would be any mechanism to reduce the downtime of the heroes between their turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Over 2 years since this game was released, and still no word of an expansion. The fact that Chaos got one is somewhat promising, but still not nearly enough to get our hopes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
should we have all but lost hope for this expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak
United Kingdom
London
Much Hadham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frodo, there was never any real hope, just a fools hope...haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.