Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C. B. Green
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror getting too easy for you? Sealing those gates becoming a walk in the park? Are the Great Old Ones quaking in their scaly, infinite-toed boots at the prospect of facing your intrepid band? Well there’s one monster that’s ready to stomp you into the ground and feast on your very sanity... Arkham Horror itself.

The rules are simple:

Take your number of investigators.

Multiply by the number of expansions you’re using.

Then: Give your group 10 minutes to set up the game.

For each minute under 10, +1.

For each minute more than 10, -1.

This modified total represents your BASE SCORE.

Then deduct:

-1 every time you forget some random goddamn die roll. (Upkeep on your retainer, for instance)

-1 for every stupid flying monster you forget to move out of the sky.

-1 for every scaredy-cat ally you forget to discard when the terror level goes up.

-2 every time you forget to do whatever bad end-of-turn thing appears on the "Rumor" mythos card.

-1 for every minute your group spends arguing about which house rules you’re using.

-3 for any incident of confusion between the Great Hall of Celano and the City of the Great Race.

-5 for forgetting to apply the Great Old One’s power until halfway through the game.

Optional "Azathoth" house rule:

Cat jumps up on table = Automatic loss

At the end of the game, determine your score.

If a positive number: Congratulations! You have maintained your sanity in the face of a potentially overwhelming and nightmarish gaming experience.

If a negative number: You have been devoured by the game. You are not allowed to play Arkham Horror again until your group completes at least one (1) game of... Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. B. Green
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to post your own additions and house rules... if you dare!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
loopster70 wrote:
Arkham Horror itself.

blush whistle Very Funny! Despite having experienced ALL of that (or forgotten the forgettable), I still love Arkham Horror itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. B. Green
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I absolutely love Arkham Horror... I hope that people see the above as an affectionate slam. The devotion that it inspires/requires is well-earned. I almost love it because of all the ways you can screw it up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you did. Just wanted to make sure.

Wouldn't AH make a great computer game to deal with all that you mention!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A neat and concise list of why this game doesn't get played often and why it's turning me off a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think what makes AH so GREAT would be lost if it devolved into an on-line experience. More than half of the fun is watching the expressions on your colleague's/friend's/family member's face when they read the OW card and then attempt the impossible with a single throw of the dice. Or maybe it's just me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. B. Green
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, I've thought about that a bunch since I started playing. And while I can see the obvious utility of it, I wonder, why does the idea strike me as less appealing?

Maybe I'm joking about the meta-game less than I think I am. I really do enjoy the challenge of it. And there's something glorious about the way the game takes over the table with the sheer volume of bits... I think there really is a weird harmony between the in-game activity of trying to control the gates and monsters and the meta-activity of keeping a handle on the flow of the game. It really is a beast you have to tame. (That "holy crap, I just forgot to figure in a bunch of skill modifiers!" feeling is sort of analogous to how the characters might feel in the middle of a monster surge.) Just finishing a turn feels like an achievement in a weird kind of way, and the exhaustion you feel at the end of the game is, I think, a big part of the satisfaction of it, win or lose.

Someone probably will release a computer version of it, or at least an iPhone app that tracks the elements of your character sheet. And people will use it, and it will make things much smoother and easier. But they'll get to the end of the game, and I bet they won't quite be able to put their finger on why the experience somehow seemed less fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
I personally think what makes AH so GREAT would be lost if it devolved into an on-line experience. More than half of the fun is watching the expressions on your colleague's/friend's/family member's face when they read the OW card and then attempt the impossible with a single throw of the dice. Or maybe it's just me...

Lost? Personally I much prefer the experience you describe above. Probably 90% of my games are played with 3 or more living players.

Devolve? I'm not suggesting in anyway that the online experience would replace the group experience of AH, but I'd still like the opportunity to play my solo games that way.

Also, right now I carry all my expansions around in a a rolling banker's box. It takes about 5 minutes to set up but about 30 minutes to repack.

I'd also hope that any online experience would include the option to play in a group. AH is perfect game to allow investigators to enter and quit at will and still the game goes on.

And, not to mention, the Old Ones could be actual size!!!!! Take a shotgun to that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loopster70 wrote:
Someone probably will release a computer version of it, or at least an iPhone app that tracks the elements of your character sheet. And people will use it, and it will make things much smoother and easier. But they'll get to the end of the game, and I bet they won't quite be able to put their finger on why the experience somehow seemed less fun...

See my comments above. I agree whole-heartedly with you --- when there's a group to play with, count me in!

Right now, I've heard, that FFG won't allow a computer version, so you can put that worry to rest -- at least for awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Arkham Horror 'forget' list was absolutely spot on and funny. I love this game but it sometimes requires a keen (and fully qualified) rules lawyer to keep an eye on things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Catzathoth rule. I've had that happen twice at friends houses (though not while playing with Azathoth).

I know it won't happen but I'd definitely buy the computer version of the game because it would keep track of all the record keeping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darryl benzin
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-3 if you need to post a question on BGG due to some situation you've never encountered before.
+2 If someone is able to correctly answer your question before Dam or Coltsfan get a chance to.
-3 If both of them answer before anyone else.
-8 if Coltsfan tells you to follow the phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant thread!

Also in the camp that almost falls over laughing when misfortune follows misfortune and the anxiety level just keeps ramping higher and higher.

In fact the last game I played was a breeze due to a good run of cards and monsters, was the first we won and didn't seem half as much fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
I like the Catzathoth rule. I've had that happen twice at friends houses (though not while playing with Azathoth).

I know it won't happen but I'd definitely buy the computer version of the game because it would keep track of all the record keeping.

I had this happen yesterday, WHILE playing with Azathoth, and I did indeed declare it "game over." The AO ended up on the floor, dethroned by catthulhu, who also dug a nice deep scar in the Arkham streets with her claws (only the third time I've played the game, too...luckily the claw marks fit the theme). Nice to see I'm not alone in my suffering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arkham Fool
Canada
flag msg tools
Spot on, loopster laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.