Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to replace my old Garmin Rino 120...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&pID=6405

Should I get the Rino 530...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&pID=8523

or the 520?

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146&pID=8522

Anyone have any experience with either? What are the differences that make either one better?

Like I said I have had for a long time now the 120 gonna give that to the SO to use when we go hiking, geochaching, hunting etc. By using the same type of GPS model we can see each others location on screen and use the radio function. Their really cool.

EDIT: Fixed link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your links both go to the 530.

I still like my eTrex: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The eTrex are nice and a good price especially for GeoCaching. But the Rino have a 2 way radio and the ability to see other people with a Rino on the screen. Which is awsome for Hiking/Backpacking and Hunting.

I think I might end up going with the 530.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after a quick perusal, looks like the only difference is that the 530 has a barometric altimeter.

my experience with the GPSMAP60 series is that the altimeter isn't really useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lj1983 wrote:
after a quick perusal, looks like the only difference is that the 530 has a barometric altimeter.

my experience with the GPSMAP60 series is that the altimeter isn't really useful.

I found this... "High Sensitivity Chipset - Worth the upgrade!
The RINO 530 HCx has a high sensitivity GPS chipset, and it was a step above the older RINO 520. The RINO 530 HCx consistently grabbed GPS satellite signals that the RINO 520 couldn’t get to, in cabins, in huts, in narrow notches and valleys, and under heavy tree cover while sitting on my belt."

Makes me wonder though, Garmin calls the Rino 520, "HCx" now too. So I wonder if they upgraded it. That would make you right about the altimeter being the only difference. Maybe I should just call them tommorrow, and see if their customer service has the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, generally when garmin gets a new chipset for a line, it filters its way across the others eventually. when i bought the gpsmap60csx, most of that line got an upgraded chip as well, that read satellites better. that's around when they switched the etrex to the etrexH which all had a new chip(but still the patch antenna)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:
The eTrex are nice and a good price especially for GeoCaching. But the Rino have a 2 way radio and the ability to see other people with a Rino on the screen. Which is awsome for Hiking/Backpacking and Hunting.

I think I might end up going with the 530.

I can see the advantage of the radio when you are hunting, and want to keep in touch with others.
For hiking/backpacking you don't need a radio, you use the GPS for your position from time to time, which the most basic etrex can give me.

As for you question, if you want either of those two.
I compared the specs, and $50 dollars for an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter is completely worth it.
The only thing I really miss about my basic Etrex is an altimeter.

Problem with both. It works on a battery pack instead of regular AAs. What is the price for spare battery packs, and how long will you be going out at a time?
I like to go backpacking for multiple days, up to a week, which is the reason I have a GPS abd a camera that works on AAs.I carry some rechargeable AAs and a pack of non-rechargeable spare AAs for them. This is much easier then getting some (probably expensive) spare battery packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:

Problem with both. It works on a battery pack instead of regular AAs. What is the price for spare battery packs, and how long will you be going out at a time?
I like to go backpacking for multiple days, up to a week, which is the reason I have a GPS abd a camera that works on AAs.I carry some rechargeable AAs and a pack of non-rechargeable spare AAs for them. This is much easier then getting some (probably expensive) spare battery packs.

Good question!

The battery life is @ 19hours.
1)I don't/havn't done overnight hunts so that's not a problem.
2)If I'm GeoCaching for over 19 hours, that's a problem and something has gone horribly wrong zombie
3)I thought about it and I don't think I would use it backpacking it's kinda heavy and I'm a stickler for shaving off weight whereever I can. 4)If i did use it backpacking 19 hours of battery life would be three 6 hour days and that would be a nice trip.
5)battery packs are @ $50

I think I will go with the 530. Your absolutly right that the altimeter and compass is worth the money. I read into the eletronic compass and know I will definatly use that function. Using a GPS (non-eletronic) compass is useless, so while hunting I find myself using the GPS and a magnetic compass at the same time. That's quite a bother.

Thanks for the help guys. You helped me get some thoughts out and down and organized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw the title, I thought this was a thread about hunting animals with GPS trackers while blindfolded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Shot in the dark GPS question...

Turn left, then after two exits turn right.
Go strait forward for 150 miles.
On the next intersection take the right turn, and the third left one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.