Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Rice
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever come up with or know of a workable solitaire variant for this game?

Like many, I no longer have anyone near me who plays and I would love to be able to have a game. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be curious, too. The closest thing I have is some deck testing I did before. I have a "scum&villainy" DS deck, and I was testing a LS "Massassi Base Operations" deck against it to see how it would do. I wanted the LS deck to win, or at least blow up the Death Star, but it got stomped.

Maybe you could make a deck focused on battling and force drains with no objective as the "opponent" deck and then try to beat it with a deck with a cool objective deck. Play the "opponent" in an intelligent manner, of course.

Another idea could be to do the same thing, only the opponent's deck contains only cards that deploy to the table. On the opponent's turn:

1.he force drains you where he can
2.flip 3 (or some other number) cards off the top of the opponent's deck and deploy them to the table where you think it will help him/hurt you the most.
3.start battles wherever the opponent has more power than you. Count battle destinies as "power +3" when trying to decide where to start battles.

The opponent never draws cards. Cards that return to his hand are returned to the top of the deck.

Just an idea. You can decrease the number of cards in each deck to 40 to reduce play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The complexities of the game don't make it very well suited for any sort of Solitaire. A lot of the game requires intelligent play and timing, something that can't quite be simulated.

As with Aaron, the only real "solitaire" forays I've had are with self-testing. I would simply pit two of my decks against one another and play each side as intelligently as I could, moving between chairs on either side. I would set down the hand of cards belonging to a side between turns unless they needed referencing.

Developing Aaron's idea a little further, some additions:
-The opponent will never deploy cards to a location if he will not be able to draw battle destiny there AND The opponent will never deploy cards to a location you control if you would have double or more than his power. (Any cards undeployed this way are set aside to be deployed on the opponent's next turn alongside his new draws)

-Whenever the opponent would draw destiny for any reason, roll two dice and use the higher number in place of drawing (The large amount of deploy cards in the deck will lower the opponent's draws drastically - two dice will give the opponent an average destiny of 3.5).

-When choosing targets for weapons, the opponent will target the character with the highest score of X, where X = that character's forfeit - defense value.

The only other thing I can think of would be building in some sort of compensation for the fact that the opponent isn't employing interrupts. We wouldn't want this to overpower the opponent, but we still want to make the solo game somewhat of a challenge.

Ideas?

Some possible options:
-The opponent receives a permanent +1 power bonus in all battles for each character, vehicle, or starship participating (you and him combine
d).

-Your largest force drain each turn is considered canceled by the opponent.

-Whenever you initiate a battle, the opponent receives an emergency 'react' deployment of 1 card from the top of their deck to the location.

-Whenever you play an interrupt, roll two dice. If you roll the interrupt's destiny number on either die, it is canceled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone remember the solitaire scenarios that tonyc or Trevor hosted on isomedia.com website back in 1997? They were a bit of a hybrid game using cut down DS rules with simple AI, and a simplified LS normal game. It seem to me to be like a embryo LCG kind of system with pre-designed deck designs.

I have found 3 of them in a folder a few days ago but can't remember if there were any more on them. The site as it was then isn't available the Wayback Machine site as I think it predates it.

The first scenario was getting C3PO and R2D2 from the Sandcrawler on Tatooine to the Alderaan system.

The second was to Rescue the princess get then off the Death Star to Yavin.

The third one was to get Leia, R2 and the Death Star Plans from Alderaan to Lars' Moisture Farm.

I'd love to find out if any more scenarios are still out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruferto
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Smile every day
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
Does anyone remember the solitaire scenarios that tonyc or Trevor hosted on isomedia.com website back in 1997? They were a bit of a hybrid game using cut down DS rules with simple AI, and a simplified LS normal game. It seem to me to be like a embryo LCG kind of system with pre-designed deck designs.

I have found 3 of them in a folder a few days ago but can't remember if there were any more on them. The site as it was then isn't available the Wayback Machine site as I think it predates it.

The first scenario was getting C3PO and R2D2 from the Sandcrawler on Tatooine to the Alderaan system.

The second was to Rescue the princess get then off the Death Star to Yavin.

The third one was to get Leia, R2 and the Death Star Plans from Alderaan to Lars' Moisture Farm.

I'd love to find out if any more scenarios are still out there.

Check this out:
http://www.theforce.net/ccg/sw/scenarios/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco guerra

Texas
msg tools
I'm beginning to work on a solo/scenario for the death star (premiere) set with a couple of cards from the other expansions. Obi must deactivate the tractor beam and hold off vader while the rest of the team rescues leia and flees the death star. Also there is going to be a loot deck that LS players cycle through after fights with imperials/stormtroopers. Players will be able to find blasters/assault rifles/utility belts etc. There will be different DS decks (effects/interrups/characters) to cycle through as well. Let me know if you guys have any ideas. Thanks

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. My Premier cards are standing ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marco guerra

Texas
msg tools
Here is what I have so far. I will post the example decks, card alterations for LS/DS decks and more rules in the coming days. Post back if you have any ideas. Thanks

Death Star Solitaire

You will need:

x2 D6
x1 D12
x1 DS: level 6 core shaft corridor (ls premiere introductory two player game)
x1 DS: detention block control room (premiere)
x1 DS: docking bay 327 (premiere)
x1 DS: trash compactor (premiere)
x1 DS: central core (premiere)
x1 DS: conference room (a new hope)
x1 DS: detention block corridor (premiere)
x3 DS: level 4 military corridor (premiere)
x1 DS: docking control room 327 (premiere introductory two player game)
x1 DS: war room
x1 DS Lift Tube
x1 Leia Organa
x1 Obi-Wan Kenobi
x1 Obi-Wan's Lightsaber
x1 Luke Skywalker
x1 Han Solo
x1 Chewbacca
x1 C-3p0 (considered a spy for this scenario)
x1 R2-D2

LS deck (40 cards)
DS deck (40 cards)
Imperial character deck (50 cards, mostly stormtroopers/DS troopers, around 12 unique

characters including Darth Vader)
Imperial loot deck (25 cards)

*example decks*

*Imperial character deck*
x1 5D6-RA-7
x1 Admiral Motti
x1 Captain Khurgee
x1 Chief Blast
x1 Colonel Wullf Yularen
x1 Commander Praji
x1 Corporal Prescott
x1 Darth Vader (Darth Vader's Lightsaber placed out of play)
x1 General Tagge
x1 Grand Moff Tarkin
x1 Lt. Pol Tredidum
x1 Lt. Shann Childsen
x1 Sergeant Torent
x2 Imperial Commander
x3 MSE-6 'Mouse' Droid
x12 Death Star Trooper
x14 Stormtrooper
x6 Imperial Trooper Guard

*Imperial loot deck*
x1 Assault Rifle
x4 Restraining Bolt
x6 Imperial Blaster
x4 Blaster Rifle
x3 Trooper Utility Belt

Death Star setup:

(inner most site)
DS: trash compactor
DS: detention block corridor (Leia Organa imprisoned)
DS: detention block control room (x2 DS trooper w/ imperial blaster, Lt. Shann Childsen w/blaster rifle)
DS: level 4 military corridor
DS: central core
DS: level 6 core shaft corridor
DS: war room
DS: conference room (x2 Imperial trooper guard w/imperial blaster, Colonel Wullf Ylaren w/blaster rifle)
DS: docking control room 327 (C-3p0, R2-D2 w/DS plans)
DS: docking bay 327 (Han Solo w/imperial blaster, Chewbacca, Obi-Wan Kenobi w/saber, Luke Skywalker w/imperial blaster and DS lift tube)
(outer most site)

Turn order

1. Untap (If you control the site untap any tapped characters)
2. Activate (1 force per character not imprisoned including droids)
3. Control/Alert (release captives, deactivate reactor terminals, heal)
4. Deploy/Search (draw destiny, deploy 1 random imperial and weapon, if alerted draw destiny all characters move odd left, even right except ones currently engaged)
5. Battle
6. Move (LS characters may use DS lift tube if no one is alerted on the table)
7. Draw

Character Abilites: (use 1 force per ability once per turn)

Crackshot (smuggler) : +1 to weapon destiny draw.

Roar/Shoo (Chewbacca/C-3p0 only): 1 mouse droid moves 2 sites away (draw destiny odd left, even right).

Repair: Tap: draw destiny to repair broken/bolted droid (draw destiny > 4, smugglers repair on 4+, luke repairs on 3+).

Spy(continuous ability): Does not cause you to be alerted.

LS card alterations for this scenario

Grappling Hook - Cancel Wrong Turn.

Friendly Fire - If destiny successful randomly roll for stormtroopers/DS troopers/Imp guard troopers to be lost first and and then uniques.

Out of Commission - Cancel a reactor terminal at same site if you control that site.

Plastoid Armor - Deploy on any character (except Chewbacca, R2-D2/C-3p0) where a stormtrooper was just lost. Character gains spy ability, power +2 and forfeit +2. Cancel this card if character is hit.

Restricted Deployment - Use 3 force to deploy effect to any one site. Only 1 Imperial character may deploy to site per turn.

Scomp Link Access - May deploy on R2-D2 as an effect. May use 1 force one force to call a lift tube to any site a character occupies. Effect may not be used if Imperial Code Cylinder on table or R2-D2 is broken. Cancel We're All Gonna Be A Lot Thinner!.

This is all your fault - Re-target an opponents weapon to one of your droids at same site. Droid broken if hit.

DS card alterations for this scenario

Collateral Damage - if destiny successful, randomly roll for characters/droids. Characters are hit (all effects, weapons/devices are lost) and droids are broken.

Dark Jedi Presence - If revealed from DS deck, cancel Jedi Presence (place Out of Play). If revealed from DS and Jedi Presence not in play, look for Darth Vader(Imp character deck) and place him at Obi-Wan's site. Alert status is in effect for the rest of the game.

Death Star Sentry - Roll a d12(reroll on 1). Place Death Star Sentry on that site. Opponent's movement to this site is +1 per character. Opponent's total power is +2.

Full Scale Alert - Draw destiny. If destiny < number of Death Star trooper/stormtroopers > character's ability, character loses all effects, weapons/devices and is considered hit. Character may not untap unless you control the site.

This Is Some Rescue - Randomly cancel a Plastoid Armor in play. If no Plastoid Armor in play place This Is Some Rescue on the table as an effect. May cancel Out of Commission if played by LS player and cancel This Is Some Rescue.

Trooper Charge - Randomly select an engaged trooper (Death star trooper first then imperial guard/stormtrooper)

Wrong Turn - Randomly roll to a characters site (except Obi-Wan, R2-D2/C-3p0). Characters are considered 'blocked' and may only move to innermost sites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.