22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games for a 4-5 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rico Minovo

Minnesota
msg tools
I tried searching, still need help. I need to order some new games to play with my 4 year old. I simply cannot play another game of candyland, checkers, uno moo, hiss... I will lose it.

Best would be something he could grow into, so maybe something a little complex. All that I came up with is gulu gulu...

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Evans
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My First Carcassonne is a big hit for our 4 year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Sherlock
Sorry! Sliders
Villa Paletti
Incan Gold/Diamant
Pick Picknic
Pitchcar Mini
Amazing Flea Circus
Viva Topo
Animal Upon Animal
Gulo Gulo

from
http://www.kidgameratings.com

Gamewright has lots of fun games for young kids
http://www.gamewright.com/gamewright/index.php?section=games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 4 year old daughter who is almost as much a fan of boardgames as me. A few of our favorites to play together are...

Gulo Gulo - Dexterity game with a few choices to make... fun
Duck, Duck, Bruce - My favorite to play with my kids... enough choices to keep it interesting but not too many to overwhelm
Château Roquefort - This is one you can "grow" into as you say... lots of thinking is possible though not necessary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungry Hungry Hippos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cleal
Australia
Port Kembla
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitting ducks
Squad seven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Max
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Slamwich - Of course you can't play competitively, but its still a fun pattern recognition game.

Castle Panic - Our soon to be 4 year old son's favorite game. Played well over 100 times

Max - Still catchin on to the fact that this is a cooperative, he always moves the chipmunk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
My 4 yo loves:

Can't Stop (we tell her what the numbers add to and she chooses)
Cloud 9
Chicken Cha Cha Cha (she's pretty good, but she likes to tell people where the cards are so she loses)
Apples to Apples (we read the cards to her - but she chooses)
Diamant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandie Fletcher
New Zealand
Featherston
Wairarapa
flag msg tools
Pop Belly
Ingenious
Monopoly Junior
Château Roquefort
Rat-a-Tat Cat

I have a 5 and 6 year old girl.. they love snakes and ladders..but they love these games too.. gulo gulo is a fun choice,
the Haba games are neat, orchard games and gamewright..

My two are also fascinated by carcasonne..which we play with them but mostly for tile matching, kids of carc is supposed to be excellant..

Rat a tat cat is my absolute favorite to play with them and even dad has been known to volunteer to play it !
good luck and have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish!
UNO Junior excellent in all of it's kinds. My 5 year old daughter shouts while sleeping: "Uno!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico Minovo

Minnesota
msg tools
Wow, thanks all. Looks like I had better come up with a larger game closet in the near future...laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sarasio Meyer
United States
Forest City
Iowa
flag msg tools
No Really. Do. or Do not. There is no Try.
badge
Nothing here there is. Look elsewhere you must.
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to many mentioned above, my daughters like(d) Rat-a-Tat Cat, Hisss, Metro, Zeus on the Loose, Snorta!, Gopher It!, Blokus 3D, Sequence for Kids, Sleeping Queens, K-9 Capers, Zooloretto, Viva Topo!, Enchanted Forest, Wooly Bully, The Legend of Landlock, ...

You might want to find something your daughter enjoys and find a game about that. Penguins, princesses, animals, There are hundreds of great kids games, so you can easily pick a theme and find some good ones there.
Be wary of BGG ratings for kids games however, as often times they are rated low simply because they are kids games. You and your children might love them even though they are rated low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Max, Chicken Cha Cha Cha adn Gulo Gulo have been popular with my 4 year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
nightbomber wrote:
Hey, That's My Fish!
UNO Junior excellent in all of it's kinds. My 5 year old daughter shouts while sleeping: "Uno!"

Yes! Hey, That's my fish is a great game for 4yo. Especially for a boy obsessed with penguins. A few nights ago: "When, I grow up, I'm going to be a Football player! or... A PENGUIN!"

Blokus and Cathedral are also good games.

For the longest time, Max wasn't really working because Noel kept trying to let the cat win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Mueller
United States
East Moline
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kids of Carcassonne (Highly recommended)

The Amazing Labyrinth (Depends on attention span)

Caraboo (My daughter loves it)

Heroscape (Heck, it is practically a toy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Evans
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I forgot Marvel Heroscape. We don't play the game, but he likes to build the terrain.

Cranium Hullaballoo is great for our son! It's a DVD game, with little floor mats. The mats are all animals and the host will say something like 'Put your foot on a farm animal'. Or 'Stand on an animal that lives in the jungle'. So it's somewhat educational, kids are moving around and it's silly fun.

Also, Uno, Go Fish and unfortunately, Chutes and Ladders is the big winner right now. At least he learned to identify dice rolls by sight rather than counting the pips from this horrid game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Hunt
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Our just turned 5 year old likes:

Kitty Bitty
The Downfall of Pompeii

He'll ussually play on a team with either my wife or I for Pompeii. He really enjoys it when you hit the second phase and can start laying down lava tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made this geeklist for my 5-year old daughter.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/51285/my-daughters-fav...-

I would also like to add Pyramid of Pengqueen. Today we have played this game several times, and she simply loves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico Minovo

Minnesota
msg tools
Well here is what I got, went the easy route with Amazon free ship/no tax. Thanks for all the replys, will check back as I liked many of the games, but seemed a little too advanced for him right now, but maybe in a year or so...

Gamewright Duck Duck Bruce $8.97

Mayfair Games Hey That's M... $32.30

Rio Grande Games Kids of C... $25.26

Max $16.49

Blokus Classics Game $18.61

Slamwich $9.58

LOOT $9.99

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Max

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ricominovo wrote:
Well here is what I got, went the easy route with Amazon free ship/no tax. Thanks for all the replys, will check back as I liked many of the games, but seemed a little too advanced for him right now, but maybe in a year or so...

Those are some great picks, especially the Kids of Carcassone and Hey That's My Fish. These are the games from our collection that my 4 year old enjoys the most. I'm putting a star by the ones that she *really* enjoys and I removed the kids games from the big list that she doesn't enjoy right now or doesn't ask to play.

* Animal Upon Animal
* Blokus Duo
Cathedral
Feed the Kitty
* Go Away Monster!
Gobblet
* Hey! That's My Fish!
* Hisss
Igloo Pop
Junior Labyrinth
* The Kids of Carcassonne
Sleeping Queens
* Sorry! Sliders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.