England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out IRONDIE for some uniquely designed metal dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Some of those dice look fantastic. Is there anywhere in the US that sells them?

(I'm sure we're about to have a big discussion about whether they are biased or perfectly random, but the fact that they are so unique outweighs most other considerations for me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, who says boardgaming can't also be aerobic?!? Just rolling these things would probably be quite the workout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Those are cool...pricey, but cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Zimmerman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, those are some sweet dice. This site has many more designs. It'd be really cool if they offered some polyhedral dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was visiting a Colonial village in Cooperstown, NY, they had some white-metal or lead dice for sale. They were poured into a wooden mold and then tipped out when cool. Being a game fan, I purchased a pair even though they are probably not "tournament legal."

The ones you show look like they would destroy a game if some "wild dice throwers" went crazy and threw them across the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any volunteers to translate the irondie rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When I was visiting a Colonial village in Cooperstown, NY, they had some white-metal or lead dice for sale. They were poured into a wooden mold and then tipped out when cool. Being a game fan, I purchased a pair even though they are probably not "tournament legal."

The ones you show look like they would destroy a game if some "wild dice throwers" went crazy and threw them across the board.

I got a lead set of dice at a civil war reenactment. They would do some damage, I would want to get hit by it. You would need a metal dice tower or concrete one to throw them in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't drop THOSE bad boys on your toe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can NOT toss those things into my dice tower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I look at this:

I get an overwhelming desire for this:

Confusing the two whilst gaming could result in massive dentistry bills though... wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some day, I know we'll meet again .. under an iron die ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Confusing the two whilst gaming could result in massive dentistry bills though... :wow:

Until I married my wife, I always played with the color blue. Now, I play with the color red. It is taking me awhile to adjust. I have a bag of cherry M&Ms which are larger then regular ones, and several shades of red. While playing Carcassonne with my wife, I must have nearly eaten my red meeply about a dozen times before I finally moved the bowl of candy off the table. I was into the game and just reaching for candy without paying attention, but grabbing my pieces by mistake.

These dice shown would kill your teeth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
agromon agromon
msg tools
Dear BoardGameGeek users

i'm a member of the staff that produces IRONDIE. I'm really amazed for the interest you demostrated in our product.
Hopefully, we plan to release the english version of the site within next month.
Just to give some tips these die are made of miniature's white metal, silver plated and enameled, and this production process is responsible for its price, (also do not throw to werewolves as it may kill them .
Jokes apart we are gamers enthusiast and we wanted an high level product, being bored of plastic or resin dies, and willing to develop a hard, weightened dice to achieve an impressive effect when you roll a bunch of them. The game also has just ended a 1 year playtesting phase , so we are actually starting our marketing strategy right now.
The game mechanics are very peculiar and offer a wide range of combos, tricks and the like, as you will see.
The english rules will be published and free for download along with the english version of the site.

thank you all again for having a spotlight on us, i'll do my best to keep you up to date on developments.

best regards to all
IRONDIE STAFF
www.irondie.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
agromon agromon
msg tools
reading more carefully to your posts, i add some infos.

our die are quite heavy as you stated, weighting from 18 to 22 grams, depending on shape.
Our fisrt range has a combination of 9 shapes (each with different game "powers" ) and comes in a range of 8 colors. We plan to release the first exapnsion within 6-9 months, with more shapes.
The peculiar shape made casting a real problem (u can't use a standard 2 side cast mold as their shape suggests) and this also force us to extract them 1by1, adding to cost.
Polyhedrical die have been considered but still have to playtest this, as this will mostly depend on game mechanics.
As many of you suggest these die are "dangerous" and suited for ages 13 and up. Some shapes are "spiky", they definitely are not a toy, ofc not to be thrown with a sling.

the gameplay is quite simple and expandable and you can learn in a evening of matches. Rules can be scaring but is easier to learn it when u see it played, so we plan to add some game demonstrations in video.

i'm wondering if boardgamegeek members or staff want to playtest it: in this case i'll be glad to ship some samples for this task, as soon as we have the eng-site online.

feel free to ask for any further infos

best to all
IRONDIE STAFF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder.. isn't there a chance of these dice damaging your table when you roll them? Maybe not on table cloth or a plastic table, but a wooden table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
agromon agromon
msg tools
yes, IRONDIE is PROUD to be the first table damaging dice. jokes apart is preferable to play on a fabric-canvas cover as they roll better onto.
As i said previously they're made of miniatures' white metal , so they also can be damaged from hard hits. normal gameplay is not a problem, but if u drop them hardly on the floor they can get some deformation, or have bruises on the enameled surface.
Anyway this is also the case of card games and miniatures: they tend to deteriorate with prolonged use; but normal gameplay and a bit of care should solve the problem.
Regarding the rules: i can anticipate some major hints:
1) die are divided into "attack", "defence" and "life" categories, u shall have at least 1 of them in your "sets".
2) die are also of 9 shapes representing 9 "types": any type has specific powers: for example the "smasher" (spaccadado in italian) can destroy a targeted dice or be destroyed if it fails.
3) u need only 9 die to play: you can choose any combination of shape and color and create any kind of set, with different goals: some sets are designed to destroy the enemy's die one by one , while others are able to regenerate life very fast and frustrate the enemy attacks. You can create very fast-hitting "swarm" sets or "counterspell-like" sets which tend to "nullify" any enemy attempt. is up to you and your play mood.
4) color is very important, and relations between colors too. any color has a specific advantage and is specialized in one of the die-type.
5) life is dinamic, no life mean u lost: your life depends on the sum of your life-die into play, and so it can be lowered but also powered up, for example with a "powerup" die (potenziamento in italian).
6) game is divided in two main phases: combat and skirmish, while the first is just a confrontation between attack and defence the second uses the specific function of any die-type to create "effects" like voiding enemy effects, power up or lower defenses and attacks and so on. You can really play totally different matches, based on combat , skirmish or a mix of the two. You can win in 1 turn or play for 1 hour without having a clear winner, all depends on you and how you build your sets (and ofc on how you play them)

this are just some infos to satisfy your welcome curiosity, we have chained our designers to their desks to bring you an english version of the rules as fast as we can. Your interest was as inexpected as appreciated, and we working to satisfy it.

best to all of you
IRONDIE TEAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Mendenhall
United States
Mt Pleasant,
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agromon wrote:
As many of you suggest these die are "dangerous" and suited for ages 13 and up. Some shapes are "spiky", they definitely are not a toy, ofc not to be thrown with a sling.

Don't give me ideas!!! Jeez! laugh

And I might be interested in play testing as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, mail me some dice. I'd love to playtest.

Okay I'm going to be honest here. I do mostly want them to throw with a sling, Hey it was your idea!!

Quote:
they definitely are not a toy, ofc not to be thrown with a sling.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh!! Wightwolf, you got to that joke before I did. I challenge you to an iron die sling match!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Check out IRONDIE for some uniquely designed metal dice.

What's this game "Ironda' he mentions you can play with his dice? These look like standard D6 dice, so I'm not sure why he has a separate game for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
agromon agromon
msg tools
Actuallly Andy got the point. we were looking to develop a game designed specifically for our own die, but at the same time we wanted people could be free to use em for any other gameboard, roleplay etc. That's why, differently from other dice games that use die with specific face-function design, the game itself is designed around the "shape" of any die, while the die keep their original ability to be used as "normal" ones. In this way, also, you don't have to learn every single "function" of every single face, but just learn (or read from gamesheet) the dice' specific power.

tomorrow well' talk on how to send some samples to people of this post, cause your attention is real welcome. i'll ask if there is a possibility to do it before the english version of the site comes online, as atm our packages, rules, shipping agreements etc are targeted to italy and we need some time to spread to the world.

regarding the sling-thing, i think i gave you guys an insane idea...
don't try this at home!

IRONDIE STAFF
www.irondie.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Skinner
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your dice are gorgeous. I am also interested to playtest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
agromon wrote:

regarding the sling-thing, i think i gave you guys an insane idea...
don't try this at home!

IRONDIE STAFF
www.irondie.com

You might want to add the slingshot thing to the fine-print legal disclaimer. Not responsible for damage caused when used as projectiles. That and the broken teeth (not responsible for resemblance to any food product) - and a recommendation to contact a poison control center if swallowed.

Anyway count me in for play-testing if you're still looking for people... I run two public groups (church and library) with a good blend of gamers and non-gamers of all ages. I can also offer editing for the English version of the game rules.

A quick question: From your description, it sounds like these dice will be on the soft side of metal - damage from a hardwood table? What happens when they're banging against each other as a set is shaken together in hand or in a dice cup?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd jump on the bandwagon to playtest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.