Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A week ago I experienced a 5-person game in which another player and I tied for the win, yet we had both exhausted our gold supplies in the process. The rules state only that the player with the most gold wins and doesn't even mention possibilities beyond that (which makes me wonder if the designers consider this scenario pretty rare?). We left it as a dual win, but afterwards were discussing that it would nice to have additional qualifications to avoid "the tied players rejoice in their shared victory" seen in so many other games.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has has house-ruled further tiebreaker conditions and/or have any ideas regarding what they could be? Options we considered (in no particular order):

• Greatest current income
• Most structures remaining (beyond Metropolises)
• Most units on the board (Fleets and Troops)
• Last qualifier (that is, the person who last achieves their second Metropolis)

Thoughts?

P.S. Of course, perhaps a major point of strategy is to not burn all your cash in your push for the win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brett

I confirm that this scenario is really rare
I've played more than 100 times and it happened only 2 times
We decided that there was no need to add a specific tie-breaking rule, the 2 players being happy to share the victory.

But you are free to add the houserule of your choice !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
Hi Brett

We decided that there was no need to add a specific tie-breaking rule, the 2 players being happy to share the victory.

Thanks for the quick reply!

So, essentially if I put myself in a position to allow an unresolvable tie (per the rules), it just means I played suboptimally? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:

So, essentially if I put myself in a position to allow an unresolvable tie (per the rules), it just means I played suboptimally? laugh

Hey, that smiley face looks exactly like your avatar! laugh

Edit: And to actually address your question, how about making the winner the first player to have the second metropolis in the board in case of a tie for gold pieces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
chindent wrote:

Hey, that smiley face looks exactly like your avatar! laugh

I never noticed, but now that you mention it...

squash wrote:
Edit: And to actually address your question, how about making the winner the first player to have the second metropolis in the board in case of a tie for gold pieces?

Good point--I suppose credit should go to the first person to achieve the victory conditions since they were technically the first to "cross the finish line," per se.

I've been leaning more toward the "greatest income" option myself (since gold is such an important part of the game), but now that I think about it, that factor has an even better potential to tie as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm shocked there are no other tie breaking conditions. we played our first game and two player have two metros and the same GP. Who wins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
Hi Brett

We had a shared victory last night in a 5 player game of Hades. It was a dramatic finale, with some amazing twists and turns, but ultimately, it came down to everyone blowing everything on a last hurrah, and two of them ending up with two metropolises.

I wonder if Hades makes this more common?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.