Subject: How do the engineers deactivate a mine field? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find it in the rules anywhere and I just read them front to back. It says that an engineer must attempt to deactivate a minefield when entering but it doesn't say how this is done.

Also are the nationality badges just for flavor or do they actually have a use in later scenarios? Are they like special forces badges? The rule book just gives you historical background on them and nothing else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to this question is actually found in the Eastern Front game manual on page 6.

"An Engineer unit that moves onto a Minefield hex and that is eligible to battle must clear the Minefield hex instead of battling. If the Engineer unit cannot clear the Minefield, it detonates."

Engineers move like regular infantry, ie. move 1-hex and battle, or move 2-hexes and not battle. So an Engineer would need to move onto the Minefield hex as it's first and only move for the turn, and then simply clear the Minefield during the combat phase instead of battling. Clearing a Minefield just means to pick up the Minefield counter and remove it from the board, it is no longer in play and can no longer be detonated.

Hope that helps!

:edit: Edited for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, forgot to reply to the second question!

Nationality badges are mostly for flavor, IMHO, used to mark control of landmarks, or perhaps to differentiate between different allied armies in the same battle when using one color of minis for each side.

I think this is kind of a hold-over from the early days of M44 when there were only two colors of army, green and grey. You needed the nationality badges to distinguish who was who. With all the new minis for each nationality, this is less important than it used to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize that they auto disarmed them.It said they would explode if they couldn't disarm the mines but not how to go about it. A guess I assumed there was a roll of some sort involved. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain machine
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
troybowers wrote:
I didn't realize that they auto disarmed them.It said they would explode if they couldn't disarm the mines but not how to go about it. A guess I assumed there was a roll of some sort involved. Thanks!

"If the Engineer unit cannot clear the Minefield, it detonates".

I think they can't clear minefields when they move 2 hexes, then, usually they can't battle (With Infantry Assault they can) and then, they can't clear that minefield and it explodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantatta wrote:
Sorry, forgot to reply to the second question!

Nationality badges are mostly for flavor, IMHO, used to mark control of landmarks, or perhaps to differentiate between different allied armies in the same battle when using one color of minis for each side.

I think this is kind of a hold-over from the early days of M44 when there were only two colors of army, green and grey. You needed the nationality badges to distinguish who was who. With all the new minis for each nationality, this is less important than it used to be.

It is still used for the "minority" allies. Scenarios where there are some french, spanish, italian, etc forces present. Sometimes it's just for extra flavor, sometimes these units are special forces or have custom rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what Cantatta and Brainmachine said, but thought you might like to see what I just found in the M'44 FAQ:

» An Engineer unit that moves onto a Minefield hex and is eligible to battle must clear the Minefield hex instead of
battling. If the Engineer unit cannot clear the Minefield, it detonates. The Engineer unit must be able to battle to
remove a Minefield. It may not make a movement of 2 hexes and remove a Minefield. If the Engineer unit,
however, is order by an Infantry Assault card, it could move 2 hexes and remove a Minefield, but could not move
3 hexes and remove a Minefield because it could not battle

This is a pretty good thing to download. You can get it at DOW website. It has 50 pages of questions! WOW

I asked this same exact question over at DOW forum back in April

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.