United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
About a week ago one of the locals out where I live got a nice photograph of an F-22 that was loitering in the skies above our little hidden valley. Over in Mountain Home... about 100 miles from here... there are some F-22's. But the Air Force and the Idaho Air Guard says it wasn't one of theirs.

Huh?

Then whose was it? Nobody seems to know. There are some in Alaska and down in Vegas. But get a map, those are unlikely places of origin. Here's an article stub:

Stealth Fighter

The print edition of today's paper had a photo and longer article. My Spider Sense is tingling. Who owned that damned stealth fighter and why won't they claim it? We have spotted Al Gore's Gulfstream in the skies around the time we had bitter cold well below the averages but everyone here knew he was just doing his part and working to keep the temperatures up.

I think it was a fighter pilot on a joy ride. The Air Force equivalent of sneaking your dad's Corvette out of the garage and getting caught. A Ferris Bueller moment with a $10 million dollar aircraft. Risky Business, just like what Tom Cruise did with the Porsche before they actually let him fly a Tomcat.

One thing for sure, the appearance of the unclaimed stealth fighter seemed to mark the disappearance of the usual late evening patrols of the black helicopters we're used to out here in Red State country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, DW, but that's classified information only given out on a need to know basis and you do not need to know.

Are we clear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obama on another photo op for the Whitehouse.gov?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
They're scouting out new locations for Obama's FEMA Concentration Camps since Glenn Beck blew the whistle on the original ones (God Bless Glenn Beck for keeping America safe!)

I bet they'll find it easier to build it around you than to try and take you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool stuff Tripp. I doubt any of the armed forces would cop to where their high tech stuff is.

I was excited to see a B2 once at very high altitude I had to use a monocular to get a good look. That was on a trip through South Dakota one year. Not sure why it was up there when the base for those in in Kansas.

One nit pick though the F-22 is a little more expensive the $10 million.
Its actually more like $350 million per unit. I dont think you can even get an F-16 for $10 million
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like being a pedantic motherfucker tonight, so....

The actual Stealth Fighter is the recently retired F-117A Nighthawk.

The F-22 Raptor is a magnificent air superiority fighter with stealthy design features.

Also, the B-2 Stealth Bomber is not stationed in Kansas. That was the B-1 Lancer. A few of them used to fly out of McConnell AFB in Wichita. I know this to be true because I was getting out of the car at the mall a few years ago when one made a really low pass, and I had to get back in the car, cover my ears and curl into a fetal position in a feeble attempt to prevent my ears from rupturing. McConnell is now home to KC-135 tankers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not trying to be a smart arse, but where is Mountain Home? I just found out last last week there is a town of that name in Arkansas. Are you still in Austin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
If you took it's picture, it wasn't very stealthy, now was it?

If you can spot the ninja, it's not a ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
I feel like being a pedantic motherfucker tonight, so....

The actual Stealth Fighter is the recently retired F-117A Nighthawk.

The F-22 Raptor is a magnificent air superiority fighter with stealthy design features.

Also, the B-2 Stealth Bomber is not stationed in Kansas. That was the B-1 Lancer. A few of them used to fly out of McConnell AFB in Wichita. I know this to be true because I was getting out of the car at the mall a few years ago when one made a really low pass, and I had to get back in the car, cover my ears and curl into a fetal position in a feeble attempt to prevent my ears from rupturing. McConnell is now home to KC-135 tankers.

Interesting fact about the F-117, it has suffered more combat losses than the F-15. (1-0).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
caltexn wrote:
Not trying to be a smart arse, but where is Mountain Home? I just found out last last week there is a town of that name in Arkansas. Are you still in Austin?

Southern Idaho. One of the premier AFB's. Home for pretty much every tool in the arsenal. The AF likes it because of the vast expanse of public lands available for training.

Oh, and I never was in Austin. I have a son who lives there though.

And yeah, I knew the F-22 wasn't a stealth aircraft but I went with the story. And yeah, I knew it cost over $100 million but I was lazy. What can I say? This is a board game web site not an engineering firm or medical school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
caltexn wrote:

Southern Idaho. One of the premier AFB's. Home for pretty much every tool in the arsenal. The AF likes it because of the vast expanse of public lands available for training.

Oh, and I never was in Austin. I have a son who lives there though.

And yeah, I knew the F-22 wasn't a stealth aircraft but I went with the story. And yeah, I knew it cost over $100 million but I was lazy. What can I say? This is a board game web site not an engineering firm or medical school.

The f-22 uses a fair bit of stealth in it's design.
From Wikipedia (not 100% accurate but easy to find
Stealth

Although several recent Western fighter aircraft are less detectable on radar than previous designs using techniques such as radar-absorbent material-coated S-shaped intake ducts that shield the compressor fan from reflecting radar waves, the F-22 design placed a much higher degree of importance on low observance throughout the entire spectrum of sensors including radar signature, visual, infrared, acoustic, and radio frequency.

"The stealth of the F-22 is due to a combination of factors, including the overall shape of the aircraft, the use of radar absorbent material (RAM), and attention to detail such as hinges and pilot helmets that could provide a radar return. However, reduced radar cross section is only one of five facets that designers addressed to create a stealth design in the F-22. The F-22 has also been designed to disguise its infrared emissions to make it harder to detect by infrared homing ("heat seeking") surface-to-air or air-to-air missiles. Designers also made the aircraft less visible to the naked eye, and controlled radio and noise emissions. The Raptor has an under bay carrier made for hiding heat from missile threats, like surface-to-air missiles.

The F-22 apparently relies less on maintenance-intensive radar absorbent material and coatings than previous stealth designs like the F-117. These materials caused deployment problems due to their susceptibility to adverse weather conditions. Unlike the B-2, which requires climate-controlled hangars, the F-22 can undergo repairs on the flight line or in a normal hangar. Furthermore, the F-22 has a warning system (called "Signature Assessment System" or "SAS") which presents warning indicators when routine wear-and-tear have degraded the aircraft's radar signature to the point of requiring more substantial repairs. The exact radar cross section of the F-22 remains classified. In early 2009 Lockheed Martin released information on the F-22, showing it to have a radar cross section from certain critical angles of -40 dBsm — the equivalent radar reflection of a "steel marble". However, the stealth features of the F-22 require additional maintenance work that decreases their mission capability rate to approximately 62-70%.

The effectiveness of this emphasis on stealth characteristics during the F-22 design process is difficult to measure. While its radar cross-section is almost nonexistent, this is merely a static measurement of the aircraft's frontal or side area and is valid only for a radar source in a stationary location relative to the aircraft. As soon as the F-22 maneuvers, it exposes a different set of angles and a greater surface area to any radar, increasing its visibility. Furthermore, the use of stealth contouring and radar absorbent material are chiefly effective against high-frequency radars, the type usually found on other aircraft. Low-frequency radars, including weather radars and warning stations in areas of the former Soviet Union, are allegedly less affected by stealth characteristics and are more capable of detecting some of the aircraft employing them."

And this picture is just cool!

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.