Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a house rule that if you played no move cards on your turn and then drift during the next turn, you may not "go back" to the space you were in the previous turn.

Not that sitting still is a good idea, but in the spirit of the game we felt that just bobbing back and forth is unsporting. I say that as the person whose ship is usually shredded btw.

We also have thought of adding a "reversing" rule so that you can't charge straight forward one tier, and then turn right around the next one. You can go back, but must use a hex to either side of the one you last exited. Not a big deal, but it means you can't get right back to where you were the tier before if you charge straight and then try to come right back.

Any thoughts?

-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charleston James
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I have discussed certain details to make the game more realistic in terms of mechanics, as well. The issue seems to always come down to complexity - we like the game the way it is. However, I am toying with the idea of expanding the alternate rules list in the rulebook, or perhaps post a "house rules" section on the official website. These ideas are a great start for that new list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplicity of the game is what makes it appealing. If I really wanted complexity I'd dig up SFB and play. I like the fact that it is easy to teach new players without saying "... and on page 12, paragraph 3, when the sky is green...".

Fast and furious is great. I've been thinking about what I like about the game more. It has the planning aspect similar to RoboRally and Wings of War. The added effect is that not only do you have to plan your moving (as these games do), but you have to plan your shooting as well (neither do this).

Two players can have the same ship card, but through personal choices can greatly customize the ship based on the map, opponent, and playing styles!

Like Wings of War, your map is whatever size you want to change to feel. Two players on a larger open map means long range shooting. Lots of obstacles, better load up on missiles. Tight map? Torpedoes! (Brutus Magnus becomes very lethal.

When Transcendentals come out you can even cooperate (YAY!) !

I know this might belong in reviews, but since we were talking rules... Simple is good, with the option to add difficulty. We we also thinking of adding "Vector" movement by only allowing 1 hex side facing change per 3 hexes of movement (or per movement card) for capital ships, and unlimited for fighters.

I'm full of ... ideas!

-Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In space combat games movement rules are almost always going fall flat for one reason or another. Simplicity is a good thing for some, while others will prefer a bit more crunch to the rules.

When working on Scifi games, the first thing to get tossed is usually realistic movement, and there is a reason for that. Several reasons actually. The complication factor shoots way up is the main reason, but also we don't really know what technologies we'll have by the time we get to blasting each other out of space.

I look forward to playing with the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've come up with a interesting variant to drift that we will now be using.

First, you must establish a "north" face for the hexes and number it 1 and continue clockwise. Establish this *before* the game starts to reduce arguing.

During the drift portion of the turn. Everyone rolls a die and moves one hex in that direction. If the move would take them off the board then re-roll drift. This is a simultaneous effect.

Additionally, When a ship is destroyed and becomes a hulk roll for drift direction. This ship will continue to move this direction when all other ships roll for drift until it leaves the board.

This adds a little unpredictability to the drift phase.

-Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charleston James
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas! I'll try to get those mentioned somewhere in the literature soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.