Subject: The one where my 4 yr old beat me. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julie Taylor
Canada
Waterloo
ON
flag msg tools
Kupferkessel is my all time favourite game, but my husband doesn't seem to dig it all that much, and my kids are a bit young for it, so I haven't done a game in a while. So, today I thought, "well, the mechanics are simple enough, my 4 yr old can handle that. He won't 'get' it, but it's time with mommy." So I layed it out and showed him that you just go the number on the card in your cauldron.

Let me just say that my 4 yr old is not a geek-4-yr-old. He is a very average kid who has only started recently understanding the alphabet and basic numeracy. So I thought it would be an easy game. But, instead I took a humiliating loss. Here's how the psychology of a 4 yr old is well-suited for mother-destruction in Kupferkessel.

First off, he knows what he wants to collect: pumpkins, eggs, that bottle of dark stuff. So there's no need to explain set collection.

Secondly, I made the mistake of saying "now, don't take that card, because it will "kaboom" mommy." I knew full well that he'd take that card, but then he systematically hunted and collected them all because kabooming mommy is the best thing ever.

Thirdly, his sharp little eyes would see that I'd picked up cat whiskers, so then he went after those so I couldn't have them. Then I'd switch tactics and move on to bats, he'd go after those too.

Between the kabooms and trying to wreck my sets he played that game with the wild abandon of a man determined not to win, but to make sure that I paid for every time I denied him a sugary snack.

The grand total? As you can well imagine, it was my lowest scoring game ever: he had 8 points to my 5. I look forward to a rematch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana More
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my, a final score of 8-5? That is FUNNY! Thanks for sharing.

This is a favorite game for my family, in particular my wife and I. But I don't think she'd much like it if I adopted your son's strategy. It is very tempting though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.