Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jed Roguski
United States
Dumfries
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a fan of games where you must act without perfect information. Any suggestions for my next buy? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you interested in a particular period of history?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Napoleonic 20 series has an optional fog-of-war element that works quite well (especially for the memory-impaired, like me). See, e.g.,

Waterloo 20
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grant
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list of wargames with fog of war elements. It's not the complete catalog, but it does give examples of different approaches that are reflected in other games not on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleship? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peaceful Gamin'
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
designer
You found our Geekbadge Overtext. Congratulations! :-)
badge
Gaming is fun. And this is a hypercube. The sun is shining
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratego

As soon as you disengage, you need to remember what is where. If you play "silent" ("aggressive") you won't even know what hit you, if you lose a piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stratego!

(Edit: Dang, that is some serious simultaneous posting. I'll change my recommendation to StrategoStratego: Legends, i.e. the Advanced Set! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Rayson
Canada
Bradford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers with the Seafarers expansion has senarios that use the fog of war element in them.

With out getting to deep into the base game here, some of the hex tiles are place upside down in the playing area and are only revealed when they are encroached upon.

One specific senario that comes out of the Das Bush expansion book and uses only the Settlers Seafares pieces is called The Great Race. You start off on a small island to the left and as you expand across the board, (water), the unrevealed hexes get turned over as your game pieces contact them. This gives you the fog of war element I believe your looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
salish99 wrote:
Stratego

As soon as you disengage, you need to remember what is where. If you play "silent" ("aggressive") you won't even know what hit you, if you lose a piece.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition: Now with More Semicolons has the same basic mechanic, but adds enough tweaks to make it a bit more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the main reasons I enjoy most of the card-driven wargames so much is because of the interesting way they handle the fog of war. You can never be totally sure what your opponent is truly capable of in any given turn, and you have to try to manage the risks accordingly.

It may not be the newest one of the lot, but I think a lot of people would still say that Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage is one of the best, and a great way to get an introduction to CDGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Levine
United States
Oro Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops has visible tiles, but you don't know if they have mines or units on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ragudaddy wrote:
I am a fan of games where you must act without perfect information. Any suggestions for my next buy? Thanks!

8th Army: Operation Crusader "Double Blind" World War II game, I played once at the WBC a few years ago. Would love to play again, but I don't know anyone else who has a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about using counter sleds? I haven't tried them (yet), but thought they would work.

www.rdoxx.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Walsh
Australia
Darwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered one of the block games. Columbia Games has a great selection. Personal favourites are Crusader Rex, Hammer of the Scots and Richard III: The Wars of the Roses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
salish99 wrote:
Stratego

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition: Now with More Semicolons has the same basic mechanic, but adds enough tweaks to make it a bit more interesting.

Them:s colon:s.

Former teacher. Couldn't resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark emulates fog of war like you would see in RPG games like Diablo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ornelles
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MidwayMidway by Avalon Hill is a classic hidden movement game. You can still find copies on ebay for relatively cheap and there is lots of tension in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Ludd
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cityfight: Modern Combat in the Urban Environment(1979) - "a tactical simulation of post World War II combat in the urban environment". The game is double-blind - players have different maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A T
United States
California
flag msg tools
I advocate Stratego Legends as well. Just because that's the version of Stratego I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has already been said, but Stratego. However, play it so you can move all your pieces on turn, if you want. It's about 100 times better, and looks more like a 'real army', as you can divide everyone up into battalions and squads. Never played Stratego Legends, though, but it looks better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the Columbia block games, especially the one I have and enjoy: Wizard Kings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Columbia Games series of block games, like:
Hammer of the Scots - superb game,
Crusader Rex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front is very fog of war-ish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe Engulfed!! I don't know how well the fog of war is but it looks pretty cool huh? It's on the list for my next order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.