Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Oberholtzer
United States
Snellville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A question came up in one of our games with the new rewards deck. Say that a player has a rift in his hand, then uses the Oracle flare to mix the hands together. Does the rift detonate on either player? Similarly, something I'm sure will come up, if the Trader has a rift in his hand and he trades hands, does the rift detonate on the other player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't think that the oracle flare matters, since all the cards get mixed, then randomly redistributed.

I think Rifts were intended to activate on things such as Compensation, Hacker, Barbarian, Vulch Wild, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question! The Rift explodes when someone takes the card from you. With the Oracle Wild, I'm not sure; seems like it would be a lot of work to remember which Rifts came from which hands, at any rate.

With Trader, though -- I'd say yes, if Trader switches hands with you and you had a Rift (or two) in your hand, then Trader suffers the penalty. On the other hand, if Trader had Rifts in his hand and then traded you, they would NOT go off. That's because Trader is *giving* you the Rifts; you're not taking them from him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the "giving vs taking" argument, and that is probably how we'll play, if there is no official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted to argue that the player who played the Wild Oracle is "taking" cards from the other players. There's a claim to be made, messy though it might be, that if he ends up with any Rifts other than those he already had in his hand before the mix, he is taking those Rifts from other players. (How is this any different than Trader, really?)

In either case, you'd better watch closely how he shuffles and deals those cards. It's really a trivial matter to control one or two cards in the shuffle and ensure that you either do or don't receive them. It wouldn't be a bad idea (in any game, for that matter) to require a blind cut from the player seated next to the dealer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is confusing because based on the way that the Oracle wild flare is written.

You mix your cards with the opponent. (Now the question is who has possession of this mixed group of cards)

Then you take as many cards as you originally had. (This implies that your opponent has possession of all the cards which would cause all the rifts you receive to blow up)

Then you give the opponent the rest of the cards. (This implies that you took possession of all the cards which would cause all your opponents rift cards to blow up when you mixed the cards together)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After thinking about this some more, I'm gonna say in our games, Oracle's Wild Flare doesn't cause Rifts to explode, because it's too much trouble to sort it out. Particularly with Rewards cards having different backs, and all that means in regards to randomly redistributing the cards...yeah. If other people want to try to figure out which Rifts went where afterward, have fun -- especially if both sides started with a 4 Rift to begin with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Withem

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
My solution.

a) Take rewards deck out. I hate this option too. my table hasn't played rewards since the owner of the game got hand zapped and plagued in the same hand after taking 8 rewards cards as defensive merchant.

b) Sleeve rewards deck and encounter deck in black. Mix decks together. I think the concept of different back is dumb anyways. I love the idea of rifts in the deck and I don't think the different colored back should sway anybody in taking this card or that card. I think it should just plain teach them NOT to play negotiate against you. =P

Regarding Oracle...

The fact that you both take from your opponent and give is implying that both players own the combined hand. I think just to be fair no rifts would explode since you aren't taking cards from anybody, simply just redistributing them. (even though the card literally says take and give). I just think the fact that my own rift can blow up on me is a retarded concept and probably shouldn't happen.

The other way you could play it is within spirit of the gamble that is the oracle flare. You're playing the oracle flare in hopes to either get rid of some of your bad cards and gain your opponent's (hopefully) better cards. I'd say if either player receives a rift, it blows up, sucks to be you, shouldn't have oracled.

I do agree with the "giving vs. taking" when it comes to other powers like Philanthropist and Trader. I don't think its a good thing to be able to freely give away rifts to make players lose ships, though it certainly adds a devilish tactic to a few particular aliens....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Marcil
Canada
flag msg tools
Quote:
With Trader, though -- I'd say yes, if Trader switches hands with you and you had a Rift (or two) in your hand, then Trader suffers the penalty. On the other hand, if Trader had Rifts in his hand and then traded you, they would NOT go off. That's because Trader is *giving* you the Rifts; you're not taking them from him.

I'll disagree with that, the Trader is not taking card from your hand his taking your entire hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Philature wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
]With Trader, though -- I'd say yes, if Trader switches hands with you and you had a Rift (or two) in your hand, then Trader suffers the penalty. On the other hand, if Trader had Rifts in his hand and then traded you, they would NOT go off. That's because Trader is *giving* you the Rifts; you're not taking them from him.

I'll disagree with that, the Trader is not taking card from your hand his taking your entire hand.

That's like saying I am mowing my lawn but not cutting any individual blades of grass, or like strafing a forest but not cutting down a tree... doesn't make sense.

Anyways, the way the Oracle flare is worded, I would be a literal interpreter and say that the combined hands belong to no one initially, and then you are TAKING back however many you had, meaning any Rifts would blow up in your face, then you are taking (but not into your hand) the rest and GIVING them to your opponent, and since he is not taking them, no Rifts there explode. Therefore it is not in the best interest of the player using the Oracle Wild Flare to do so if he knows his opponent has Rifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zomber
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So basically the player initiating the action (ie Trader, Oracle flare) is doing the giving and the taking (susceptible to rifts) of cards while the other player waits for the dust to clear, any rifts that suddenly appear in their new hand won't hurt them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zahar zahar
Serbia
flag msg tools
What happends if you trade cards as a part of a deal...And you say :" you take my 1 card and you give me 1 of yours" for instance.
You take his "00" card and you give him your rift . Does it Boom ! ?

Or have to specify " Take from me ( THEN IT'S EXSPLODE ) or "Ill give you ( NOT EXSPLODE!)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.