Subject: Question about home made version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ ♫
Italy
ravenna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would the game work if the values on card were 1 to 9 instead of 2 to 10?
Opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you put a "0" after the "1" it would work.

Seriously, why change it? I guess it would work if you scaled the negative points (since there are now fewer points), but it works great as it is, and how hard is it to just imagine that 1's are 10's?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ishai BD
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game is very well balanced in terms of the risk management aspects given the player's hand and the state of the game. Changing the cards to 1-9 instead of 2-10 (even if you then modify the negative constant added to each expedition) will affect that balance. It's hard to say how big an effect this would have, but as a side effect, after you play the game many times like this, your experience may get you to be fine tuned in certain situations so that when playing with the normal components, even when you try some basic adjustment, you find your intuition off in delicate situations.

In other words: The modifications (card numbers and penalty) could perhaps lead to an interesting game, but it won't quite be Lost Cities. Why exactly you would want to create a similar, yet slightly modified game, isn't clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.