Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Weiss
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having finagled a night out with my oldest son by his lonesome, the rest of the family being otherwise engaged, we pondered a few options for a Saturday night. Movie? Bowling? Bookstore? How about we check out game night at Blue Highway Games? I've been meaning to hit this place for a long time and finally found an opportunity.

Initially, it looked like we didn't have a prayer of getting a table, but there was a bit of space still available up in their loft area. Having secured our space, we headed back down to peruse the shelves full of games. Wow! More options than I've seen at any other stores in the area. What to try? Shipyard, Fits, Dixit, Castle Panic? Ooh, ooh, let's look at Castle Panic! Monsters? Check. Fighting? Check. Cooperative...? Turns out that this was a drawing factor for my son. Good to know.

Setup was a breeze and we were just about ready to dig a bit deeper into the rules when one of the folks from the shop dropped by to inquire if we wanted a quick intro. Perfect timing. Turns out, the game probably didn't need much explanation. Draw-up, discard, trade cards, kill monsters, move monsters, place monsters, repeat. Very straightforward.

Initially, it looked like the game was going to be a breeze. We mowed down the first dozen or so orcs, goblins and trolls without a hitch. Then we hit a tense bit where we pulled out a couple of the "special" monsters that had us adding a bunch of new monsters (draw 4, I think), advancing monsters closer to the castle and unexpectedly rotating many of them to a sector of the board that we didn't have well covered. Fortunately, we had saved up a Fortification card as well as a brick/mortar card combination that allowed us to maintain our castle defenses while we quickly rebuilt our hands to face the new threat.

Having bought a bit of time, we were able to adapt the new threat without too much trouble, always turning up a card that would allow us to wipe out the odd monster that provided any serious threat. In the end, we finished with only a couple of walls taken down, not losing a single tower. The most destructive element against us was the giant rock, which was just as helpful wiping out monsters that might have otherwise been troublesome.

Verdict. Might need to give this another try using the adversarial rules. Seems like it will be too easy to win otherwise.

Thanks, Blue Highway Games for a great game night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow I'm impressed! I've played this game with two players, and with three (my young grandsons) and have lost ALL games to date.

Plus we made the mistake (now a house-rule for the young boys)of moving the boulder at the same speed as the monsters (giving them a chance to fortify against it before it hit.)

I don't understand how anyone can easily win with just two players (without a lot of luck that is) ... without a doubt the more players in the game the easier it is to win, but with two players you only get to trade one card which means you were really REALLY lucky getting all the right cards at the right time.... if I were you I'd be looking for a lottery booth

Congratulations - glad it was fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Weiss
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good to know. The ease with which we won on the first shot was disappointing. I had been hoping for a serious challenge. I'll have to give it another chance so that I can suffer properlyarrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
arrghh indeed - that's the spirit!

Is it okay to say good luck, I hope they beat you the next time shake just doesn't sound right some how

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.