United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb

During our last game, a few arguments cropped up regarding Veteran Legions.

1) The players thought that Senators have total control over Veterans that owe them allegiance. In particular, they thought that they could choose whether or not their Veteran Legions would accompany a loyal Commander to war, regardless of how the Senate voted on the matter. This led to everyone's Veterans sitting on the sidelines during virtually every war.

2) Players also believed that Veteran Legions require no upkeep costs, ever. I thought that they were only maintenance-free for a Rebel Senator who held their allegiance chit. I was told that the old Avalon Hill version had Veterans being free all the time, so we went with it.

3) This last comment is not really an argument, but just an observation that drawing random Legions for combat losses is kind of a pain when Veterans are present. We memorized which Legions were Veterans, dumped them all into the Mortality bag, and drew them out one at a time until we satisfied the loss requirement. I think, in the future, we will keep the allegiance chits for Veterans whose Senators have subsequently died next to the Active Forces box so we don't have to remember which Legions are Veterans as we pull them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
1) No. They only control whether they remain with a Rebel once he revolts and can pull the Legion from teh Rebel at any time. Likewise, a rebel can pull Legion that are aligned with him to his side.

2) No special exemption for Veterans. They gots to eat too.

3) True. You can randomly determine things without pulling them from a bag, though. Say you have 18 Legions (yeah, I am using a nice round number), line them up in 6 columsn and 3 rows. Roll the black and white die. The result on the whit die corresponds to the column and the result on the black die results in the row (1-2 for 1st row, 3-4 for 2nd row and 5-6 for third row). That Legion dies. Roll again as needed. Results that are blank are a roll again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Temple
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it work to draw Mortality chits and use the numbers to correspond to the Legions that are killed? There are 36 of them, so I'd think that would work, but I haven't actually confirmed the numbers.

After all, they are Mortality Chits. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Basiliv wrote:
Would it work to draw Mortality chits and use the numbers to correspond to the Legions that are killed? There are 36 of them, so I'd think that would work, but I haven't actually confirmed the numbers.

After all, they are Mortality Chits. ;-)

That would work. I believe the numbers go from 1-30. The remaining ones are "none" and "draw 2." So you could just keep drawing until you find one that matches. Could be a long process though with smaller forces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Basiliv wrote:
Would it work to draw Mortality chits and use the numbers to correspond to the Legions that are killed?

We think alike, you and I. Unfortunately, that method is pretty tedious in practice, especially, like Brian said, when you only have a few Legions to kill off. And, of course, it seems like we pulled #26 through #30 - which don't correspond to any Legions - about ten times each. For the big draws (15+ Legions in play), this method does work pretty well.

ColtsFan76 wrote:
You can randomly determine things without pulling them from a bag, though. Say you have 18 Legions (yeah, I am using a nice round number), line them up in 6 columsn and 3 rows. Roll the black and white die. The result on the whit die corresponds to the column and the result on the black die results in the row (1-2 for 1st row, 3-4 for 2nd row and 5-6 for third row). That Legion dies. Roll again as needed. Results that are blank are a roll again.

I really like this idea; I think we'll try it next time. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.