1 Posts

Nay-Jay!» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Wolf
United States
flag msg tools
I got to play Nay Jay! for the first time at SaltCON this last weekend. This is the first game from a new game company "Brand New Games".

The game was fast and fun. There were a couple of younger kids...8 and 10?...that kept wanting to play new games, so it seems to appeal to that age group.

Nay Jay! is described by it's designers are Nertz meets Speed. This also puts it in the same family as Ligretto and Dutch Blitz.

Here's the set up. Every player has a deck of cards (numbered 1 through 10) with different colored backs. You shuffle your deck and deal 20 cards face down in a pile and 1 card face up. This is your "Draw Deck". Then deal 4 more cards face up in a row. The rest of your cards are your "Flip Deck".

When the game starts, any 1 that is face up is moved to the center of the table. At this point, any player may play on it. The card you play must be the same color "suit" and must be either 1 more or 1 less than the current card's value. You can play a 3 or a 5 on a 4 for example. On a 1, you can player either a 2 or a 10, which allows a around the world dynamic.

Whenever you play a card from the row in front of you, you fill the vacant space with the card from your draw pile and then flip the next card over.

If you cannot play from your row, then start flipping cards from your Flip Deck 1 at a time (different than Nertz and Ligretto's 3 cards at a time) into a pile. Whenever you can play a card you do so. But only the top card can be digging in the pile for cards.

Game ends when someone plays all 21 cards in their Draw pile. Scoring is easy, plus 1 for every card played in the center of the table, minus 2 for every card left in the Draw Deck. Play 6 rounds, highest score wins.

Nay Jay had people playing the game all day long. It is a fun filler game and it has some unique rules to it which makes it different from Ligretto and Nertz...but not a lot different. Kids loved it, but there were a lot of adults that stays for several rounds...myself included. I have played Nertz (a long time ago), but I have not played Ligretto, so I cannot really compare the games.

This is another game I'll be carrying in my eBay and Amazon stores.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.