I'm looking for a wargame to play with friends, but I have a few items I would prefer in it if I could.
1. I want something that has a lot of development of nations and resources, with possibly the diplomacy. But not as heavy as World in Flames
2. I want something complex enough to last a night and also not take up a whole pool table to set up as well. Games such as Memoir '44, Tide of Iron, or Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 are nice, but something with a grander scope.
3. Multiplayer or teams would be a preference, but isn't necessary since I have one main opponent, but I wouldn't mind bringing in more players from time to time.
4. Can be tactical all the way up to operational, but I'm probably going up to operational, since you can control a countries resources and development rather than just your squad or battalion.
5. Historic, with an emphasis on the 20th century. World War 2 is the preference, but it can be anything newer, or back to World War 1. Historic battles, generals or scenarios which are close to accurate.
6. Naval, Air and Ground combat would be a preference.
Some games I've been toying with getting are Europe Engulfed, EuroFront II (With Eastfront and Westfront of course).
But I need to know what else is out there and any other suggestions. I want to get something meatier, but just not to the scale of World in Flames and with similar mechanics for the most part.
I hope you can help and suggest all you want.
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
Europe Engulfed would be my suggestion.
"L'état, c'est moi."
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
I would very strongly recommend EastFront II. Hands down one of my favorite wargames ever.
Outside your era, but I would recommend these also...
Maria is a game that you might want to have a look at too. It's not as heavy on the development side, but it does have diplomacy and it is about the ascension of Maria Theresa.
The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) is another one that would probably fit the bill in terms of diplomacy and nation building.
I'd also highly recommend Here I Stand - one of the best multi-player games ever IMO.