Warriors of God: The Wars of England & France, 1135-1453» Forums » General

Subject: A balanced view of this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:

If there are severe limitations to one's ability to achieve success, what does that make the gamer? Just a counter pusher and a dice roller? Edward III's army at Crecy was much more than this.

goo
I think in someways WoG is an amazing design in that despite so many obvious (in my mind) design flaws, it still largely works. I think Sagrilarus has basically got it right in his assessment, but I'll add a little. There is a long terms sort of grind in this game, that is small advantages stack over a long period and slowly build VP. The game ebbs and flows as well so what can appear as an advantage may not be one. The result is for me the game is kind of a force of nature and you are constantly fighting against the tide, the wind and the rain so to speak. If you did it better than your opponent you may well win. Having said that I have had several games completely and utterly decided by luck, admittedly the odds such occurrences were astronomically low, but they did happen. There are decisions, I don't feel that the game is mindless far from it, but it is a cruel mistress. This however is part of my frustration in someways WoG, should be an absolutely superb game and yet it isn't (well for me), it is a decent one. In many ways luck can increase depth (it creates more potential outcomes to actions), but it can also make decisions more arbitrary, I think WoG definitely does both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |