Thumb up
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Gaming Weekend 3/15 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
My buddy Steve came down for a visit. I got the guys together friday night for gaming. Since we play about once a month at best, my wife is a great sport about this. We played 5 player settlers. I won w/ a "coastal" strategy of getting grain and using the grain port. My big advantage came because of successful use of the monopoly card to nail my friends by getting a ton of Ore each time. One blunder (because we hadn't played Settlers in a few months) was that we forgot that you can only play one Development card per turn. Iplayed a soldier card and a monopoly card on the same turn twice. Thus, My position as Ruler of Catan is somewhat disputed by my friends.
I thought that the 5-6 player rule that permits buying resources when it isn't your turn made it more fun for folks --but it made it almost too easy.

We wanted to play a 2nd game --w/ the seafarers expansions, but due to lack of time (we're all over 30 and have kids --so the guys weren't interested in staying past midnight) we couldn't do it. Instead we played a quick game of "Titan The Arena." I won by betting on Troll and Hydra. I got lucky in the end game as one player made an error that let me sneak to victory. As usual poor Cyclops was the favorite of no one.

Saturday my friend and I broke out his new editon of Battlecards (western front). Very easy to learn and play. We had a great time. The game lasts longer than expected because if one side has an advantage, the other guy can decline to go into battle when he draws a battle card. Despite this, the historical flavor is fun. My friend managed to "assassinate" my Churchill card. I paid no "Morale" penalty --you'd think the troops would have been a little down about this. Perhaps DG can address this in rules down the road. Very fun game.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.