Subject: [BGR] Dominion: Intrigue - Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Bunny
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Dominion: Intrigue – Review
(This review was originally published on

Dominion: Intrigue was first published in 2009 and is designed by Donald X. Vaccarino. It is the first expansion for Dominion.

Dominion: Intrigue

* Designed by: Donald X. Vaccarino
* Published by: Rio Grande Games
* Number of players: 2-4
* Playing time: 30 min
* Player ages: 8+

A Quick Overview

“Something’s afoot. The steward smiles at you like he has a secret…”

Dominion: Intrigue is both an expansion and a stand alone game. It is possible to combine decks to create new sets of kingdom cards and further explore the kingdom.

To quickly summarize, Dominion: Intrigue adds new cards that have dual properties. For instance cards can both be action cards and VP cards allowing for more creative card play combinations.

Game Play

Game play in Intrigue is much the same as Dominion;

A player draws a hand of 5 cards (which may be modified by other players’ action cards) and then game play follows the A-B-C process listed in the rule book.

* “A” is for Action; a player can only perform one action using a card with an action property.
* “B” is for Buy; a player may only purchase one other card from the existing cards in play.
* “C” is for Clean up; a player then discards all cards, played or not, into a discard pile.

What sets Intrigue apart from the original game is the introduction of a “Pass” action where a card is passed to another player.

Also, some of the action cards provide a choice of actions. This can provide for a broader action sequence than the original, base game.

I had played Dominion several dozen times prior to getting Intrigue. I wanted to get Intrigue because I was getting a little tired of the basic cards and I wanted to try out something new.

Intrigue provided that and more.

With the new Intrigue, players can mix freely between the 50+ kingdom decks and create some interesting combination of cards.

As mentioned above, there are cards that provide multiple purposes. Among them is the “Harem” card which costs 6 and provides 2VP (an Estate equivalent) and is valued at “2″ coins during the “B”uy phase.

Normally, the VP cards generally serve to “clog” up your hand and are sometimes useless during game play. The Harem, however, is useful. Though it is not as valuable as a gold card, it will not diminish the hand as much as a normal VP card.

These multi-purpose cards are a great addition to Dominion and help to make the game richer than the base game.

Also, it seemed to me that Dominion, the base game, didn’t provide for as much player interaction as Intrigue. There are a number of kingdom cards in Intrigue that directly affect other players. I think this is a good thing.

This expansion is a more aggressive, more in-your-face Dominion. Some players will like this and some won’t.

Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.