Thumb up
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Timely writing is not my forte rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Tackett
United States
flag msg tools
Its been a couple weeks, but I'm back. Part of the delay has been due to my desire to play all of the games in my most recent purchase from before posting this. It's taken a bit longer than I expected to get that last one played and I actually have the time to write today, so here it is.

Picked up this little gem from Cheapass Games. Its a Hip Pocket game so its very inexpensive, even by Cheapass standards. I've only played it with two players but it was quite entertaining. Played two quick rounds with a guy I work with (M) and two rounds with my wife. Mining the asteroid seems to be a good strategy but that may change with more play and probably with more players. Both seemed to enjoy it. This week I'm getting together to play HeroClix and hope to sneak in a few four player rounds of Lightspeed.

Settlers of Catan:The Card Game
Settlers was the first major German game I played and remains one of my wife's favorites. We've tried a few two player variants with Settlers but haven't had as good of a time as we do with three or four. So this was a pick for those times when its just me and my wife and we're looking to play a game (something which happens a couple nights a week). The cards themselves are quite nice, good cardstock and seem like they'll be durable. I enjoy the game a bit more than my wife but we both agree it is better than any of the two player Settlers variants we've tried. We've played three games of this and two have been very close. Next time I order games I may get the expansion cards for this.

Yep, a lot of two player games in this order. The components are very nice, cool plastic warriors and boats and thick cardboard hexes. The cardstock for the god decks is very good as well. Played this once with my wife. We played with face up cards to get the hang of it and I got destroyed! I was suprised at how much my wife enjoyed it as I had intended to take it to work and sneak a game in now and again.

Kill Dr. Lucky
Cheapass respawned my interest in board games as so its fitting that I get this "classic" title. This is the one I still haven't played yet, but I've heard great things from the guy I work with (M) about it and I imagine I'll have a good time with it when it finally comes out.

The big game of the order. Great components, lots of bits! I've played this four or five times now, one four player game and the rest as a three player setup. Its been very close most games and the in-laws have requested to play this again. Well worth the purchase price and has me interested to see about Java or Mexica.

Fist of Dragonstones
Almost forgot this one. Let me start off by saying that the Days of Wonder crew is amazing. My game was missing the wooden tokens. I emailed the company and they quickly mailed out a new set of tokens. The game components are of fairly high quality (my only gripe is that the glass stones are of different sizes), and given the customer service, you may want to keep an eye on this company and their releases. As for the game itself, I've played once with three players. It was pretty light and even though I won, it felt more like luck than anything. I think there is a lot of game here but it may take more players to bring out its full potential.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.